PDA

View Full Version : Newbie impulse purchase

John E
7-May-2009, 11:20
Hi All,

A while back I picked up a Linhof Kardan 5x4 which was in need of fixing up. I had a new bellows fitted - with the help of great advice from this forum - and am slowly starting to get together all the other bits and pieces I need to start taking some pictures with it, as time and money permits.

I just today picked up a 210mm F5.6 Rodenstock Sironar (s/n 6126615 - made in 1966?) with a synchro compur shutter, and a wista 6x9 roll film back in a shop in London that was clearing out.

This is an old lens but the glass is in good condition - I'm hoping it will be a good place to start for still life and portraiture. Any views on this kit, anything to watch out for with the shutter?

Also any advice on the appropriate lens board for this lens/shutter combination on my Linhof will be appreciated.

Thanks,

John

Archphoto
7-May-2009, 16:48
The shutter: see/hear how it runs at 1 second, that tells you enough if it needs a CLA.

Lensboard: one that fits, that is all there is to it.
On the otherhand you can go the more expensive route and mount the lens and any lenses you buy in the future on a Linhof Master Technika board and get an adapterboard for the Kardan.
I have all my lenses on the Technika boards, so I can use them on both the Sinar P2 and my Shen Hao and whatever camera is next without unscrewing and remounting them.

It shure is a nice starter set, Congrad's

Peter

John Kasaian
7-May-2009, 18:42
210mm is a fine lens to start with and Rodentstock makes some of the very best. The can be said about Linhofs.
It sounds like you've done good, lad!

Kirk Fry
7-May-2009, 23:36
Yes, buy some regular film holders and use them. Roll film holders are PITA. K

John E
9-May-2009, 02:19
Thanks everybody, when I finally get the hang of this thing, I'll try to show my first images here!

John