PDA

View Full Version : Italy with large format

Bruce G. Collier
26-Apr-2009, 11:26
Hi All,

Just added a new gallery to my website for those interested in northern and central Italy. The images are from three trips, but the majority, and all the large format ones, are from this past New Year. Venice, Urbino, San Leo, Montalcino, Montepulciano, Piena, Siena, Assisi, Tivoli, and of course, Rome.

Italy large format images (http://www.brucegcollier.com/galleries/italy/level2_lf.htm)

For this trip, I brought my Polaroid 110B 4x5 conversion, a Canon 5D Mark II, and a Canon SD880IS. The Polaroid was converted by Michael Batelman (http://www.eastcamtech.com/)and sports the original 127 mm Ysarex lens (mines a razorblade at f16 and f22). I use a Kodak Readyloader and Fuji Pro 160S film. Most LF shots taken with a Manfrotto carbon-fiber tripod, but I do handhold depending on the situation and conditions. Exposure information can be found by clicking on the 'Info' button next to any particular image. Film was scanned a total of 5 times in hand-checked baggage with no noticeable degradation (have done up to 11 in past with same results, so this never worries me). Post-processing done primarily in Photoshop CS3 or Canon's DPP.

As always, comments greatly appreciated.

Regards, Bruce

Brian Stein
6-May-2009, 03:53
Hi Bruce

Enjoyed the look through. My favourite is the Via Posta Vecchia: the tonality is gorgeous, and the sepia suits it well. As always monitors limit ones appreciation: Im sure the original of the Basilica di S. Chiara #1 has detail in the wall highlights.
Im just gearing up for my first overseas trip with LF and looking at the pile of 5x7 gear am thinking maybe you have a better option!

Bruce G. Collier
7-May-2009, 15:05
Thanks Brian, I appreciate your comments! I took another look at Chiara photo and agree - I got a bit over zealous with the contrast in trying to bring out the highlights of the olive tree leaves. I calmed it down and reposted.

Re overseas trip and 5x7, you'll quickly forget the hassle and pain of carrying all that gear when you look at your glorious images. I would love to take my big rig and focus on that, but my trips are a blend of photography and vacation (and my wife's), so there's a bit of give and take.

What are you bringing if I may ask?

Regards, Bruce

Turner Reich
7-May-2009, 16:30
Re overseas trip and 5x7, you'll quickly forget the hassle and pain of carrying all that gear when you look at your glorious images. I would love to take my big rig and focus on that, but my trips are a blend of photography and vacation (and my wife's), so there's a bit of give and take.

One problem I have is when taking a 120 roll film "system" the weight of the lens selection makes the weight as much or more than a 4x5 or 5x7 setup. Those lenses really add up. Any suggestions for a 5x7 setup and the number of film holders? I have twenty two excellent holders but an older wood camera, 2D, and extension.

I like your site and the photos are very fine.

Bill_1856
7-May-2009, 17:14
I haven't looked at all of your groups, but the ones I've seen so far are quite impressive. Your B&W is good, but your color is even better. Also, your captioning is the best I've ever seen.
Thanks for letting me see them. I look forward to viewing the remainder.

Turner Reich
7-May-2009, 20:13
I've spent some more time on your site and it's great, there is such variety of locations and it will take some time to see them all. I would love to know what tripod you use with your Shen Hao 4x5 camera. Great work, thanks for the look.

With my wife there is some give and take also, I try to work quickly but deliberately.

Bruce G. Collier
9-May-2009, 09:15
Thank you, Wilhelm and Turner, appreciate the comments!

Turner - per your first response, I can only say take enough to cover you per photo session. That is, if you can't get back to your changing tent or hotel bathroom but every half-day or so, then I'd bring enough to cover that equivalent time span. Hard to say exactly as I don't know your shooting style. But also don't be so conservative that you bring so many and end up spending your time being a pack mule especially if this is suppose to be a vacation. Been there, done that. :)

When I used my Shen Hao, I used a Manfrotto CarbonOne 440. I don't remember the head but it was definitely one of the compact Manfrotto quick-release ball heads. FYI, the tripod is one of the few camera items I check in at baggage. I wrap it carefully with clothes, put it back in its bag, then build a cocoon of clothes around it in the center of my one wheeled soft bag. There are better ways to do this, but again, I try to minimize weight and size. The head is shoved in a shoe or similar.

We have understanding spouses...God bless 'em.

Regards, Bruce

Daniele Minetto
9-May-2009, 10:02
Great site Bruce!
And beautiful images too. Thing I like most is the extensive description of site, film, exposure, camera and all that stuff.
Living in Venice I must say that your images of my town are very impressive.
B. Regards.

sgelb
9-May-2009, 16:13
bruce really nice work. i lived in italy for a while.. I like the southwest stuff. the night shot of the coliseum was cool.. now im bummed i sold my 110B unconverted!

Turner Reich
9-May-2009, 21:36
Thanks Bruce, it seems that every time I do a trip I learn a little more. I had the TSA open my check-in, probably because I had two tripod heads in there. The last time I went to Europe I took a Mamiya 645, it seems each time I'd like a larger format. The Polaroid looks like it fill a specific need, lightweight, large format and versatile. Next time it will be with a 4x5 and a cf tripod.

again, thanks

Santo Roman
9-May-2009, 22:16
Good looking pics. I'll be moving to Rome in September. Should be an interesting time.

Santo

csant
10-May-2009, 00:46
Fabulous work, Bruce - took me a while to explore the site, and the more I was looking around, the more fascinating work I found. Well done :)

Bruce G. Collier
10-May-2009, 10:18
Thank you, Daniele, sgelb, Turner, Santo, and csant, for taking the time to reply and comment. I appreciate your feedback!

Daniele - it must be nice to live amongst such exquisite beauty. Do you ever find a shortage of subjects there? I can't imagine even coming close in 5 lifetimes.

Turner - yep, my medium format rig easily weighs more than any of my large format kits (incl 8x10) not counting film holders. Unless I travel for the sole purpose of photography (and alone), I make compromises for portability.

Santo - have a great and fruitful time in Rome. So much to see and do. I've been a few times and can only say I've just made a small scratch in a very large surface. How long will you be there if I may ask?

Regards, Bruce

Daniele Minetto
10-May-2009, 13:45
[QUOTE=Bruce G. Collier;466624]Thank you, Daniele, sgelb, Turner, Santo, and csant, for taking the time to reply and comment. I appreciate your feedback!

Daniele - it must be nice to live amongst such exquisite beauty. Do you ever find a shortage of subjects there? I can't imagine even coming close in 5 lifetimes.

Bruce- if you plan to come back in Venice let me know, I can show you something you'll never find in any tourist guide that will be surely worth a shot..

Santo Roman
10-May-2009, 18:14
Thank you, Daniele, sgelb, Turner, Santo, and csant, for taking the time to reply and comment. I appreciate your feedback!

Turner - yep, my medium format rig easily weighs more than any of my large format kits (incl 8x10) not counting film holders. Unless I travel for the sole purpose of photography (and alone), I make compromises for portability.

Santo - have a great and fruitful time in Rome. So much to see and do. I've been a few times and can only say I've just made a small scratch in a very large surface. How long will you be there if I may ask?

Regards, Bruce

Bruce,

My wife and I will be there for a year or so. Actually we are from the NW like you (Seattle) but live in NJ as she is finishing her Phd at Rutgers. Thats the main reason why we are heading over. Just picked up my new 4x5 and on tuesday I'm heading to B&H to look at a lens and a new Domke bag that will hold everything.

Santo

IanG
16-May-2009, 02:10
Bruce- if you plan to come back in Venice let me know, I can show you something you'll never find in any tourist guide that will be surely worth a shot..

I'm intrigued Daniele, where would that be ? I'll be in Venice a couple of times in the next month or so.

Ian

Photojeep
16-May-2009, 16:45
Daniele,
I will be in Venice on Tuesday the 19th...

I too am interested in seeing what the tourists don't!

Randy

sdivot
16-May-2009, 22:41
My wife and I will be in Venice for a week in late june. What should we see while there?
Thanks,
Steve
www.scdowellphoto.com

Turner Reich
16-May-2009, 22:46
Daniele, if you have an opening in your schedule I'd like to see what other tourists don't. If not, can you send me a photo instead?

Allen in Montreal
17-May-2009, 07:24

Talk about opening Pandora's Box! :)

You may now be able to open a photo tour operation, behind the scenes views of Venice. :)

otzi
18-May-2009, 07:30
I too got to see some of the less frequented parts of Venice when I was there a few years back. Sprocket format in hand back then, never the less it was interesting to observe the plethora of photographers stamping their individual perspectives on to the old buildings. I couldn't help but notice that for most of them the photo experience seemed to be a marathon of stressful proportions. Fully burdened and at full gate the capture was but a moment in their inventory. Quite bemused I was happy to dawdle along as I do taking mostly dry shots (visionary only) till I found an image that grabbed me and worthy of capture.

Touring the lesser visited parts was aided in no small way by the use of, with the owners permission, my feet. Glad I did for now that mode of transport is no longer so readily available due to bad maintenance over use and poor garaging.

Never the less I wish you all well. It seems a sizable proportion of the forum seem to be there that week. Maybe we could have a Venice section. :p :p

Donald Miller
18-May-2009, 07:40
I've spent about 16 months out of the last 24 months here in Italy (in Milano at present). I have seen a lot (Venice included) but the touristy places are not what flips my skirt. I like the old places (off the well beaten path) with constricted streets. (foot traffic only)

The end of June will be see the temps climbing. Really very pleasant here now. Be very aware taking any photograph that may include a child in Italy...not like the US. If you do not travel by automobile and plan to use LF you had better be young (I'm not) strong (in the same vein as age) and possessing a fair modicum of patience.

csant
18-May-2009, 08:26
Hah - I am in Milano the second half of this week, and if all's well, I might "hop" over to Venice. When there, I like to explore the less beaten tracks. There are some real jewels to discover - this (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3195/2938709255_db6becf982_b.jpg) one being probably one of my all-time favourite places in Venice (small-format shot from about 10 years ago - the place looks just the same today). See you maybe there?

Donald Miller
18-May-2009, 12:51
Another thing for those that are coming to Italy. It might pay to see that you have medical insurance coverage that extends to your time here.

I took a spill on my bike four days before I was set to return to the states...long story short I fractured my femur and this injury involved surgery to pin the fracture. Flying back to the states was out of the question. My medical coverage for time out of the country is sixty days and I was about 22 days past that period. Cost to fix me up was nearly $11,000...definitely a bargain compared to the states...it came out of my pocket. I am still recuperating two and a half months later. Medical care here, based on my experience, is quite excellent.

Don7x17
18-May-2009, 19:37
Hah - I am in Milano the second half of this week, and if all's well, I might "hop" over to Venice. When there, I like to explore the less beaten tracks. There are some real jewels to discover - this (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3195/2938709255_db6becf982_b.jpg) one being probably one of my all-time favourite places in Venice (small-format shot from about 10 years ago - the place looks just the same today). See you maybe there?

Nice photograph -- that same building was in Rick Steve's travel program on Venice. He called it the boatbuilders shop for the locals.

Donald Miller
19-May-2009, 12:13
Nice photograph -- that same building was in Rick Steve's travel program on Venice. He called it the boatbuilders shop for the locals.

I agree. The spot is unmistakable and not very difficult to find.

RJC
19-May-2009, 13:39
Bruce I very much enjoyed browsing through your excellent photos of Northern Italy, especially Venice.

I'm interested to know (or maybe Daniele can advise), since I'm interested in taking my LF gear to Venice next time around (having only had a Mamiya 645 Pro with me on my last trip), did you get any hassle from the carabinieri when you set up and used your tripod as you might do in urban areas in the larger cities of say the UK or US ?

Also, Daniele, is there anywhere in Venice where I could hire a tripod rather than have to fly it out ?

Bruce G. Collier
19-May-2009, 21:27
Thank you, RJC, I appreciate the feedback.

No, not only was I not hassled, I can't recall even seeing patrolmen (anywhere). Everyone was very courteous, but I also try to be on my best behavior. I'm very mindful of where I plop the tripod and never in any kind of foot traffic.

Not to change the discussion away from Venice, but has anyone been to Urbino? I'd read about it in passing before going, but we decided to head down there after a strong recommendation from our Venetian hotelier. I'm glad we took his advice - a stunning, immaculately preserved (or restored) medieval hill town that was as charming as it was beautiful. We did not get a chance to see nearby Urbania, but did visit historic San Leo. We also ducked in San Marino, but we were looking for something a little less crowded. The Marche region was beautiful and I'm glad we diverted ourselves.

Regards, Bruce

csant
20-May-2009, 03:04
Yes, the Marche have a lot of wonderful places to offer - but then, Italy in general has a lot to offer. Just another heads-up: San Galgano near Siena. Or, going a bit further south, Tuscania with its two churches (featured in the movie The Hawks and the Sparrows, original title Uccellacci e uccellini). And I could go on endlessly...)

:)