PDA

View Full Version : 20X24" Chinese ASA 100 Film

sanking
20-Apr-2009, 21:10
Basically, I am trying to arrange to purchase several hundred sheets of 20X24" film from a Chinese manufacturer. The film is ASA 100 and I have already tested it in 5X7" size and found it to be of very good quality. However, I only want about 100-200 sheets and the minimum required for the special cut would be at least 400-500 sheets. I can not give an exact price per sheet for the film at this time but preliminary discussions indicate that it will be a lot less than any panchromatic film currently available in this size.

If anyone would like to go in on this order with me please contact me by PM.

Sandy King

ignatiusjk
19-May-2009, 15:45
Are you planning to cut it down to 5x7 or some other size

Gene McCluney
19-May-2009, 16:23
I sure would be interested in various Chinese b/w films in 7x17, 11x14 and 8x10 in quantites of several hundred sheets each...but alas not 20x24 (yet!). I haven't found a consistent vendor.

sanking
19-May-2009, 16:58
Basically, no. I was just trying to find some people interested in going in on an order with me to share the film at factory price. So far not much luck as only one person has voiced interest.

Sandy

Are you planning to cut it down to 5x7 or some other size

Tim Meisburger
20-May-2009, 06:55
Hi Rain. Its probably Shanghai Photo Film. I often buy their 4x5, which is a great deal for folks outside the US, as the international shipping costs are very low compared to shipping from the US.

I have often tried to find a Chinese source for photographic paper, but so far without success. I know China Lucky makes it (and I suspect Shanghai makes it as well), but apparently it is all sold to processors, or stores who rebrand it. Do you know any web dealers in photographic paper from China?

Sorry Sandy for being off topic.

Phil Hudson
20-May-2009, 07:44
I have an Ebony 20x24 coming up for sale here on the forum: I and/or the next owner might have a use for some of this film. Do you have any more details?

Thanks,
Phil

sanking
20-May-2009, 09:55
The detail is that there is a minimum order of 500 sheets of 20X24" ASA 100 film and I need several people to go in on special order. I don't know the specifics of pricing yet but the reason I am trying to do this is to buy 20X24" film for less than I could get it anywhere else. If I get to the point where I see that there are enough people interested I will let you know the price per sheet and request a deposit, then place the order. This is very doable if enough people are interested. The minimum order would probably be 25 since I would like to box it that way and don't want to get into separating into smaller quantity.

Sandy

I have an Ebony 20x24 coming up for sale here on the forum: I and/or the next owner might have a use for some of this film. Do you have any more details?

Thanks,
Phil

Tri Tran
20-May-2009, 10:07
Hi Sandy,
I had an offer for 1 box at $250/25 sheet at cost last year referred from the Chamonix owner but end up got 4 boxes FP4 here from LF forum member. I heard the film is good and excellent price.

sanking
20-May-2009, 10:31
That cost is in the ball park for the Chinese film. And as you know, that is a lot less than anything else available in this size. I have priced special cut of Ekke PL100 and a couple of other East European sources and all are a lot more than $10 a sheet.

The film is very good. I have already tested it in 5X7 format and was very pleased with it.

Sandy

Hi Sandy,
I had an offer for 1 box at $250/25 sheet at cost last year referred from the Chamonix owner but end up got 4 boxes FP4 here from LF forum member. I heard the film is good and excellent price.

Tracy Storer
20-May-2009, 16:02
Sandy,
I would try some to see what it's like, but can't commit to anything right now.
Best,
Tracy

Tim Meisburger
21-May-2009, 04:28
Hi Rain. I don't know the name of the factory, but the film is called Shanghai, and you can find it on ebay by searching 4x5 film. It is probably the only film factory in Shanghai (not sure where lucky film is made).

Derek Kennedy
21-May-2009, 11:17
I do *not* using Shanghai 120 film (WICKED curl), but never tried any if sheet film - anyone use it in 4x5 (or there abouts)? How is it in sheet format?

Gene McCluney
21-May-2009, 12:02
I do *not* using Shanghai 120 film (WICKED curl), but never tried any if sheet film - anyone use it in 4x5 (or there abouts)? How is it in sheet format?

I have read no complaints regarding curl for either Shanghai or Era (brands) sheet film. Sheet film is always on a thicker base, which prevents curl. You almost have to consider roll and sheet film as different animals. For example Foma (brand) roll films are well known for curl, but their sheet films lay flat as a pancake. As flat as any sheet film around.

Derek Kennedy
21-May-2009, 12:10
Thanks Gene appreciate the info.

I was unsure of the Shanghai films so wanted to set straight before I ordered any.

sanking
21-May-2009, 12:29
I have a friend and an associate, both Chinese, who have already visited the factory and discussed a special cut. The problem is very simple. The minimum order for a special cut and boxing is 500 sheets for any of the large ULF sizes that are not normally cut.

Sandy King

I'm located in Shanghai now.You can tell me the factory name then I think I'll have some method to solve this problem.It's not difficult.

Clarence Rhymer
21-May-2009, 12:47
Hello Sandy,

I'd go for 50 sheets at that price. I take it the lot would be shipped to you and then you would ship it on. It would add to my cost to be re-shipped to Canada, but I suppose that they would not drop ship boxes directly, and perhaps that would just make it too complicated.

What would the expiry date be?

Cheers,
Clarence

sanking
21-May-2009, 12:51
Clarence,

Thanks, I will get back to you about the specifics of this when my friend returns from China. We appear to be getting close to having enough interest to do the 500 sheet cut. Shipping is another deal to work out.

Sandy

Hello Sandy,

I'd go for 50 sheets at that price. I take it the lot would be shipped to you and then you would ship it on. It would add to my cost to be re-shipped to Canada, but I suppose that they would not drop ship boxes directly, and perhaps that would just make it too complicated.

What would the expiry date be?

Cheers,
Clarence

seanx
28-May-2009, 07:02
hi,
I guess,film name is "LUCKY",chinese name:乐凯,a famous film factory in China,don't worry anything,Just go and ask size and price,they will help you to share with others.Good luck!

MIke Sherck
28-May-2009, 11:13
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/05/28/price-cheap-chinas-products-fail-americans-suffer/

This might be relevant for companies or individuals trying to do business with Chinese companies -- including Lucky, specifically mentioned in the article.

Mike

Alan Rabe
29-May-2009, 13:26
After reading the article above anyone who buys this stuff is asking for trouble. So when you get your film and it's half junk don't complain, you were forwarned.

IanMazursky
29-May-2009, 13:50
I tried to make this happen once with ERA. In the end i gave up (for now anyway).
I was going to buy a few master rolls and have them converted here. I have a local converter who is very good.
The film cost wasn't that good, they couldn't guarantee the quality and no guarantee i would actually get the film.
Shipping was also very expensive and in the end, the cost per sqf was only a little bit less then the other films on the market.

That article is really scary. It makes me think twice about trying to buy the master rolls again.

Blacky Dalton
29-May-2009, 13:56
Sort of reminds me of Chinese Amidol!

Sometimes cheap is not exactly Cheap!

BD

Monty McCutchen
29-May-2009, 14:00
Do you come down from the mountain for food and water or do you have someone bring it up to you? Goodness gracious--anyone shooting 20 x 24 has one foot in the asylum anyway (believe me I probably have the whole Hokey Pokey in the damn place). Taking a small risk/reward chance AS A GROUP, as Sandy is suggesting, is the smallest of risks, money investments you could possibly take in this format. Besides I got taken for much more by an American that many on this site lauded as the next coming. The reward of finding a film that is suitable for alternative printing at a significant discount would be a geniune find. If Sandy who is doing the legwork on this to begin with feels comfortable then that's good enough for me EVEN IF IN THE END IT DOESN'T WORK OUT. If a 25 sheet box goes south on me I promise not to complain though, I mean afterall I've been forwarned.

Monty

After reading the article above anyone who buys this stuff is asking for trouble. So when you get your film and it's half junk don't complain, you were forwarned.

Dave Wooten
29-May-2009, 18:06
I ll put if I can get a bit bigger back for my camera :)

Clarence Rhymer
29-May-2009, 18:36
Well, as I said, I'm good for about $500.00 + shipping on this one.
This is not "chump change" for me, but a risk I am willing to take. I expect this deal, if it happens, will work out OK.

Of course, that is a lot of film cut down to Minox size. ;)

Cheers,
Clarence

sanking
29-May-2009, 19:45
There seems to be enough interest in this to make it happen. My colleague who visited the factory in China is returning to the US next week and I plan to meet with him to go over some details. This is not a profit making venture for me -- my goal is simply to purchase a one or two year supply of 20X24" film at a price I can afford so my risk is basically the same as that of anyone else who goes in on the film.

Sandy King

Tim Meisburger
29-May-2009, 22:09
Just to note, I have been using this film in 4x5 for about eight months, and had no problems. For people outside the US, Shanghai is the cheapest 4x5 film you can buy. For people in the US, Freestyle prices are comparable, but their high international shipping costs make Shanghai the much better value outside the US.

sanking
28-Jul-2009, 06:43
I have the specifics on the Chinese 20X24" film for anyone who is interested in making up part of the order. The film will be produced in late August and, if this order goes through, the plans are to have it shipped air freight directly to me from the factory. Current value of the RMB puts total cost to me at $12 per sheet for 500 sheets. Your cost will be $12 per sheet, plus cost shipping to your location. If you are interested please contact me immediately to arrange payment. This is not a business deal for me as I am not making any money on the transaction so I will need payment from you before I finalize the order with Shanghai Film Company. Should there be any problem with your film I will try to help resolve any issues with the film company to resolve but given the circumstances in that I am only a facilitator for this order your risks are the same as mine.

I personally want to keep between 75 and 100 sheets of the order so I need to get committments for about 400 sheets to make this special cut happen. Minimum order is 25 sheets.

This needs to be finalized fairly soon so please let me know as soon as possible if you are interested.

Sandy King

Clarence Rhymer
28-Jul-2009, 08:22
PM sent.

Cheers,
Clarence

biggerthebetter
13-Oct-2009, 00:26
Sandy:

Did you go forward on this order? Or can I still get in on it?

Also, I live in Bangkok, and go to China fairly often. Can you give me any details on the factory, so I can perhaps visit them as well? Perhaps I can help in future dealings with these guys, as well.

- Pat

Tim Meisburger
13-Oct-2009, 03:53
Hi Pat. This is the thread I mentioned to you. Glad you found it. If you don't get a response from Sandy, click on his name above and you can send him an email or PM.

Good luck (I'm really looking forward to seeing that camera), Tim

dng88
13-Oct-2009, 05:48
Just to clarify the films.

I have dealed with ERA and Shanghai factory direct. In fact, all my 8x10 and 120 are mainly Shanghai. Lucky is a different factory (with past association with Kodak). They cover different grounds -- Era has 135/4x5, Shanghai has 120/8x10/Grade II paper one side, Lucky has color/... (Era is about 2-3 hour from the others.)

When you talk about experience, lump the 3 into Chinese film is like lump all European film firm into one. It does not make sense.

May I ask which film is it that supply this 20x24 or special cut @500 sheets then?

sanking
13-Oct-2009, 06:38
Sandy:

Did you go forward on this order? Or can I still get in on it?

Also, I live in Bangkok, and go to China fairly often. Can you give me any details on the factory, so I can perhaps visit them as well? Perhaps I can help in future dealings with these guys, as well.

- Pat

Pat,

In the end there were simply not enough people who wanted to take part in the order and to make it happen would have involved me putting up more money than I wanted to at the time. I have a Chinese friend from Nanjingwho can help me with the factory, but the bottom line is that they require a minimum order of 500 sheets to cut and box 20X24" film. I personally only want about 100-150 sheets.

BTW, Freestyle can get the Efke PL 100 for you in 20X24 but the cost will be about the same as Ilford FP4. That would be a no-brainer since FP4 is on the whole a lot better film than PL 100.

Sandy King

dfoo
4-Nov-2009, 21:37
I have often tried to find a Chinese source for photographic paper, but so far without success. I know China Lucky makes it (and I suspect Shanghai makes it as well), but apparently it is all sold to processors, or stores who rebrand it. Do you know any web dealers in photographic paper from China?

I have about 10 boxes of ERA grade 2 RC paper in my basement, and a few boxes of the FB paper. This paper is better than the Lucky paper in my experience. If you are interested I can probably arrange for some Chinese paper to be shipped to you directly from China. PM me.

Tim Meisburger
5-Nov-2009, 01:11
Okay, I did PM you. I am also looking for a source for Shanghai 8x10. I don't actually have an 8x10 camera, but if I find a source for the film, I will have to buy one. Right?

dfoo
5-Nov-2009, 18:21
Shanghai 8x10 film? I can check to see whether that I can get that...

edit: I just did a quick check, and there is some lucky 8x10, but no Shanghai. I'll have to check with some friends on the Shanghai film.

Bob Salomon
5-Nov-2009, 18:50
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/05/28/price-cheap-chinas-products-fail-americans-suffer/

This might be relevant for companies or individuals trying to do business with Chinese companies -- including Lucky, specifically mentioned in the article.

Mike

Here is what Fox didn't put in the article.

"China Lucky, according to its website, was incorporated in 1958 and "is now the largest national photosensitive materials.manufacturer in China." Intriguing in the story is that in 2003 Kodak signed a $100 million, 20-year co-operative agreement with China Lucky, wherein Kodak would provide technical and manufacturing technology support "to assist Lucky in upgrading its existing triacetate film base production and coating line," according to an October, 2003 press release. It stated that Kodak would have a 20% stake in China Lucky though, according to a PMA Newsline story on August 24 2006, quoting Reuters, Kodak holds a 13% stake in the company. Kodak has confirmed that number.

No doubt the agreement was a way for Kodak to work its way into the formidable, tightly controlled China marketplace. Now, that technology is being exported by China Lucky right back into the U.S. to compete with Kodak, are the two papers the same? The PMA Newsline article reported: "Kodak in brand dispute with its China partner, Lucky Film Co." It went on to say that the watermark on the Lucky paper was too similar to the Kodak Royal paper and that "consumers can't tell the difference."

Asked to comment on the China Lucky arrangement with Royal Marketing, Charles Smith, a Kodak spokesman, stated: "The primary intent of our agreement with Lucky is to more quickly develop the market for photographic products in Asia and other developing markets and serve consumers there. As a partner, we are disappointed that we did not have advance knowledge of their arrangement with Royal Marketing and cannot comment on that."

Tim Meisburger
5-Nov-2009, 23:32
Interesting. Does this mean that Lucky 8x10 is actually Kodak 8x10, or a reasonable facsimile thereof?

Tim Meisburger
5-Nov-2009, 23:35
Oh. Just read the article. Maybe I will not be going after that Lucky paper after all. On the other hand, I am quite please with the quality of the Shanghai 4x5 I have been using.

kinggump
16-Jan-2010, 22:14
Hi Rain. Its probably Shanghai Photo Film. I often buy their 4x5, which is a great deal for folks outside the US, as the international shipping costs are very low compared to shipping from the US.

Sorry Sandy for being off topic.

Hi, All:

Let me provide a summary of B&W material information here in China.
Over all, there are three company make the B&W film or print paper.
1. Lucky: http://www.luckyfilm.com/eng/index.html
Cut films in 4*5,8*10; RC paper #2 or #3 in 10*12 is off shelf products, you can get it any time.
2. Shanghai: http://www.smpicgg.com/En/index.htm
Cut filmes in 4*5,8*10; They once produced RC paper before, but now they did not produce any more.
3.ERA:http://www.chinastera.com/index1.htm
Cut filmes in 4*5; RC paper, FB paper in 10*12, is off shelf products, you can get it any time. But FB is produce once a year, somehow like that.
If you have further questions, pls feel free to send me a e-mail: kinggump@hotmail.com

Tim Meisburger
17-Jan-2010, 00:54
Hi. Thanks for posting this. Do they sell to consumers, or only wholesale? I have not been able to find any part of the websites that seems to serve consumers.

Best, Tim

kinggump
17-Jan-2010, 07:11
Hi. Thanks for posting this. Do they sell to consumers, or only wholesale? I have not been able to find any part of the websites that seems to serve consumers.

Best, Tim

Hi, Tim:

I use Shanghai 4*5 cut film, and I brought from the company, you need brough 10 boxes, which 25 pieces each box at once. But I do not know if they will handle oversea business or not. But if there is enough people want to use this film, I am glad to set up a ebay shop as a purchasing agent.

jack_hui
17-Jan-2010, 07:38
Shanghai 8x10 x 25 pcs
http://item.taobao.com/auction/item_detail-0db2-1d325858ac68d9d25578f76d25d37b30.jhtml?cm_cat=0

Tim Meisburger
17-Jan-2010, 07:56
Interesting. Although I don't read Chinese, I looked around the website and found several brands of 4x5 as well. The price is good, but by the time I pay shipping to Bangkok, it would probably end up costing about .50 a sheet, which is what I currently pay for Shanghai on ebay delivered. If I pass though Beijeng on one of my business trips I might stock up though.