PDA

View Full Version : Film Drying/Fixers

shapirophoto
17-Apr-2009, 15:46
Do many of you open air dry your negatives? i.e. not use a dryer?

I'm going to begin processing at home, and am wondering if I'm going to run into waterspotting problems...

Also, what kinda fixer do you use/recommend?

-a

Gene McCluney
17-Apr-2009, 16:18
I have a large film drying cabinet, which is essentially a small closet with dental clips screwed to dowels that run along the top to clip film to. I generally treat my processed negatives (all types, all formats) with either Photo-Flo (for b/w) or the final rinse (if color) then I hang and dip a couple of soft photo-sponges in the final rinse and squeeze out and then wipe the film down in a squeegee motion from top to bottom. This removes all the excess moisture and allows the film to dry fairly dust free, and quickly. The drying closet (or cabinet) has a door I close to keep dust out while film is drying. You "could" use a closet at your home in a spare bedroom. Just affix your film clips to a clothes hanger, and put a developing tray on the floor to catch drips.

For Fixer I have standardized on Kodak Rapid-Fix with hardener, I use Film strength dilution with hardener on conventionally processed b/w negatives, I use Film Strength without hardener for Pyro developed negatives, and I use Paper strength dilution with just a teeny-tiny bit of hardener for prints. It is really a universal product and is available from all vendors. I buy in the large 1 gallon jug (style) kit..to make 5 gallons of film fix, or 10 gallons of paper fix. The hardener is packed as a separate small bottle in the kit to use or not use as you see fit.

shapirophoto
17-Apr-2009, 16:22
Do you need to use some sorta permawash after the Kodak fix? I just want to make sure I get all the correct chemicals.

As far as drying, would hanging them in a small bathroom work do you think? I live with roomates, and I don't really trust them not to "take them down" or something if they're in the kitchen or the main bathroom. I have a half bath, and was thinking I might just string a line across it and hang from there.

Gene McCluney
17-Apr-2009, 16:27
Do you need to use some sorta permawash after the Kodak fix? I just want to make sure I get all the correct chemicals.

As far as drying, would hanging them in a small bathroom work do you think? I live with roomates, and I don't really trust them not to "take them down" or something if they're in the kitchen or the main bathroom. I have a half bath, and was thinking I might just string a line across it and hang from there.

You really don't need anything like Permawash or Hypo-clear for film processing. Film does not absorb the Fixer like fiber-based paper does. A good 20 minute wash in a good film washer should be adequate.

If you can close the door to the bathroom, and keep it closed with no-one going in for a couple of hours then it might be OK. Does the bathroom have an air-conditioning vent that could be blowing air with tiny dust particles on the film? Air conditioning filters do not filter out the minute dust particles.

shapirophoto
17-Apr-2009, 16:31
It does, but I 'spose I could block it off easily enough. I mean there's barely enough room to pee in there, so there's no need for a vent. I'm gonna try it.

Doremus Scudder
18-Apr-2009, 01:26
I use 4x5 sheet film. No wash-aid (it removes the pyro stain). I find a final soak in distilled water with a wetting agent to be indispensable to getting clean, dust-free negatives without water marks or drying marks. I soak the negatives in a tray of distilled water and wetting agent for 3-4 minutes, agitating. I then gently squeegee each film between first and middle fingers (a couple of passes) to remove excess liquid and hang them by their corners from clothespins on an line. This is either above my bathtub (in my smaller European darkroom) or above the darkroom sink in my larger US darkroom. I blot the accumulated water from the lower corner with a tissue after a minute or two and then leave them undisturbed to dry. It is important not to raise dust after hanging the negatives, and also important to clean and wipe down the darkroom well before developing film to ensure that no dust is in the air. It is better to "knock down" the dust with humidity by, say, running the shower hot for a few minutes, than to vacuum or sweep just before processing film. Some of this will undoubtedly apply to your situation.

Best and good luck,

Doremus Scudder

Bruce Barlow
18-Apr-2009, 05:06
A few drops of Photo-Flo in a gallon of distilled water makes a final minute-long soak that will eliminate any concern about water spots. I hang my negs on clothespins - just barely on a corner. I have rigged some on wire coathangers that I can move around (mostly for long 35mm rolls), and rigged a wire with 40 or so above my darkroom sink.

Film is sexy when wet - if hanging LF negs get too close they want to hug each other and stick together, which is a bad idea, so be chaperone them before you leave them to make sure they're separate. Engage in safe photography...

John Bowen
18-Apr-2009, 06:36
Film is sexy when wet - if hanging LF negs get too close they want to hug each other and stick together, which is a bad idea, so be chaperone them before you leave them to make sure they're separate. Engage in safe photography...

LOL

I use wooden clothespins and have drilled little holes through them so that I can hang lots of film from my drying line. Whenever possible I try to leave an empty "spacer" clothespin between sheets of drying film :p

Barry Trabitz
18-Apr-2009, 06:45
Bruce, Bruce, Bruce,

Sexy film? You really have to get out more.

Barry.

Gene McCluney
18-Apr-2009, 11:24
Clean, easy and beat the kids/make them pee on the neighbors bushes so they don't use the bathroom for a couple of hours while the negs are hanging.

Sure makes for clean negatives.

I thought beating the kids and making them pee outside was standard parenting, not just for film processing.

shapirophoto
18-Apr-2009, 11:28
Haha, I got a good chuckle outa this thread. Thanks guys. I'll let you know when I try for the first time. :-)

-a