PDA

View Full Version : Newbie advice for 4x5 instant photography

Vick Ko
16-Apr-2009, 05:29
Hello,

I'm thinking of trying some instant film, for 4x5. What is best, to start?

Fuji film? Which type is good to start with?

And I have a Polaroid 545i film holder; will it work with Fuji Polaroid film? Or do I need to buy a Fuji Polaroid holder (seems to be $200 ~ $250).

Any well recommended sources for the film, and holder (if needed).

Oh, so is buying Polaroid 4x5 impossible now, except for dated ebay stuff?

Thanks all

Vick

vinny
16-Apr-2009, 06:25
search "instant film" or fuji instant film here and you'll find several threads just like yours. In short, fuji pack film is your only option.

al olson
16-Apr-2009, 06:42
I'm thinking of trying some instant film, for 4x5. What is best, to start?
Your choices are all Fuji now. I prefer the 4x5 film packs which require the PA-45 pack holder.

Fuji film? Which type is good to start with?
The color films are good...in my opinion sharper and more saturated than Polaroid. There are also B&W films in 100 and 3200 ISO.

And I have a Polaroid 545i film holder; will it work with Fuji Polaroid film?
The Fuji films come in film packs.

The Polaroid 545i holder is only for sheets. It will work with Fuji QuickLoads (also with the old Kodak Ready Loads as well as Polaroid sheets) but nothing else is available now.

Or do I need to buy a Fuji Polaroid holder (seems to be $200 ~ $250).

You need the PA-45 Fuji filmpack holder. Yup...a little expensive!

Any well recommended sources for the film, and holder (if needed).

Any of the big photo mail order houses seem to carry the holders. I believe I have seen them at B&H, Adorama, Midwest, and Badger ... probably Freestyle as well. Film is a little more available. I have even found some at Denver Pro Photo.

Oh, so is buying Polaroid 4x5 impossible now, except for dated ebay stuff?
Yup!

Vick Ko
16-Apr-2009, 07:46
Thanks so much

Vick

Salvatore Formisano
1-May-2009, 18:03
Vick,

The comments in the previous responses are a great way to get started: the fuji film and the pack holder. i just started w/ 4x5 with the fuji instant film and love it. the film is wonderful: rich, saturated colors. if you over expose even slightly, you will lose color saturation.

good luck!

sal

coops
1-May-2009, 18:49
I just got the PA-45 holder on Ebay for $60 on a make an offer type deal. The price listed was about $180, and I never thought my offer would be accepted, but it was. Kinda like Priceline. Now I need film.

Salvatore Formisano
1-May-2009, 19:43
That's an incredible deal! Good job.

The film is Fuji instant FP100 C45.

sal