PDA

View Full Version : Renaissance Wax

Andrew O'Neill
9-Apr-2009, 23:16
Anybody know where I can find some Renaissance Wax in Canada??

eric black
10-Apr-2009, 05:51
Outside of searching the web- higher end woodworking centers use the stuff to treat the metal surfaces of tablesaws and similar equipment- if you have any of them local, give them a try.

RDB Korn
10-Apr-2009, 07:44
Google finds:

http://www.carrmclean.ca/CategoryGroupBrowser.aspx?CategoryID=191&GroupNo=1741

Gary J. McCutcheon
10-Apr-2009, 07:45
Light Impressions used to sell it. I still have a container of it I use on my wood rails on field cameras. Check their web-site and mail order it.

Andrew O'Neill
10-Apr-2009, 07:55
Thanks guys!

Glenn Thoreson
10-Apr-2009, 11:07
I think Rockler carries it. www.rockler.com

Andrew O'Neill
10-Apr-2009, 11:27
Thanks Glenn, but I'm trying to source it up here in Canada.

Alan Curtis
10-Apr-2009, 11:45
Try Lee Valley woodworking, they are in Canada.

PViapiano
10-Apr-2009, 12:13
If you're using it to wax alt prints, you may want to try Gamblin Cold Wax medium as well...might be easier to find at art supply stores.

Andrew O'Neill
10-Apr-2009, 12:17
There's a Lee Valley just up the road from me. Thanks!

Andrew O'Neill
10-Apr-2009, 15:40
Back from Lee Valley...of course it was closed being it Good Friday. Sure felt like a Saturday to me though...

Ralph Barker
10-Apr-2009, 16:27
Back from Lee Valley...of course it was closed being it Good Friday. Sure felt like a Saturday to me though...

I thought of Lee Valley earlier, and checked their web site. No listing for Renaissance Wax, although they had a variety of other waxes.

Andrew O'Neill
10-Apr-2009, 17:29
They have "Conservator's Wax", which is a blend of microcrystalline waxes used by museums, art galleries...Sounds like Renaissance Wax to me but under a different name. 125ml in metal container from only $11.50. That's probably US$ so I'll expect to pay a few more Loonies for it up here.

John Bowen
10-Apr-2009, 17:51
a serch of Ebay for Renaissance Wax turns up 14 listings :-)

Andrew O'Neill
10-Apr-2009, 20:40
That's what I want it for. I want to see what it will do for my kallitypes. From what I have read, some people love it and some couldn't be bothered. I was using an acrylic medium that I brushed on, but didn't like the look it gave. It just "sat" on top. I couldn't get rid of the brush strokes either which I couldn't stand.
No ebay for this guy. I hate that place.

Andrew O'Neill
11-Apr-2009, 18:17
I picked up Lee Valley's version of Renaissance Wax, Conservator's Wax. I checked the Dmax which was 1.19 (not a very high Dmax to begin with but that's what this print was), and scanned it. I rubbed on a thin coat, buffed after it had dried. Applied another thin coat and buffed when dried. Checked the Dmax and it read 1.26. So, there is a slight increase in Dmax but visually I couldn't see the difference. It does look a bit richer, but that's probably due to the sheen.
I have scans of before and after, but the difference between the two is so subtle I couldn't see the difference on the monitor.

Would Dmax increase with more coats? It didn't for me. In fact, it decreased to 1.22 after of 6 coats. Visually, I couldn't see this loss. The image did look juicier though. Two coats was good enough. Have any of you waxers out there experienced this loss of Dmax before? Perhaps someone smarter than me can explain. It reminds me of when selenium toning silver prints that papers after a certain time, will begin to lose Dmax.

I'm going to make two identical kallitype prints. One will get waxed and the other won't. I'll stick them on my wall and observe the waxed print over time to see if there is any discolouration.
Thanks for reading...

Fred L
13-Apr-2009, 03:28
I got mine at Carr McLean in west end Toronto ( Kipling/Queensway area). My last bunch of archival boxes were from there as well. Their catalogue is rather extensive and is worthy of supply lust.

http://www.carrmclean.ca/CategoryGroupBrowser.aspx?GroupNo=1743

http://www.carrmclean.ca/CategoryGroupBrowser.aspx?GroupNo=1741

Andrew O'Neill
13-Apr-2009, 16:36
Hey, they're cheaper too. Thanks Fred.