PDA

View Full Version : TMY-2 4x5 & Pyrocat-HD

Andrew O'Neill
24-Mar-2009, 15:34
I decided to give the new TMY a go in my main developer, Pyrocat-HD (2+2+100 21 celcius)in BTZS tubes. What are you getting for your N time? I'm getting about 25 minutes...seems pretty loooooong, considering it only takes me 10:30 with HP5+ at same temperature and dilution.

Ken Lee
24-Mar-2009, 16:24
You can see the suggested development times for the formula here (http://www.photoformulary.com/uploads/Pyrocat-HD-01-5091.pdf) on the Photographer's Formulary web site.

Note that the times listed on that document, are for 1:1:100 dilution.

Based on those times/dilution, 25 minutes does seem quite long. Is your thermometer calibrated ? Is your water fairly normal ? Is your light meter basically sound ?

How are you determining your film speed/development time: densitometer ? darkroom printing ? scanning ?

I like the weaker 1:1:100 dilution because I prefer longer times. They give you greater latitude for development by inspection, and I frequently develop 12 to 20 sheets at a time.

sanking
24-Mar-2009, 17:05
Andrew,

That time is way loooooonng!! With the 2:2:100 dilution you should get plenty of contrast with the 2:2:100 dilution with TMY in half that time. Something seems wrong, either the developer, dilution, or temperature of the developer. But that time is definitely not normal for N development in Pyrocat-HD 2:2:100.

In fact, even 12-14 minutes with that dilution gives enough contrast for pt/pd.

Sandy King

I decided to give the new TMY a go in my main developer, Pyrocat-HD (2+2+100 21 celcius)in BTZS tubes. What are you getting for your N time? I'm getting about 25 minutes...seems pretty loooooong, considering it only takes me 10:30 with HP5+ at same temperature and dilution.

Andrew O'Neill
24-Mar-2009, 17:30
Everything is good at the testing end of things, including my thermometer and water. Will go back and test again. I thought my time was ridiculously long. Who the heck wants to twirl a tube for that long?? Thanks guys!

jeroldharter
24-Mar-2009, 18:01
I am just wondering how you arrived at 25 minutes doing the BTZS testing? Was that by extrapolation or did you really do a test that long? I am planning to try Pyro for the first time (Rollo Pyro) and use BTZS tubes. I have read that pyro developed negatives do not read well on a regular densitometer. Might that be messing with your numbers?

BarryS
24-Mar-2009, 18:11
Seems long to me as well. With a 1:1:100 dilution at 18C, my development time for TMX and TMY is 11 minutes in a Jobo Expert drum on a roller base.