PDA

View Full Version : Shooting TMY as TMX appears to work quite well

mikerz
24-Mar-2009, 05:53
Hello all, have any of you shot or accidently shot TMY as TMX? I was using an EI of 80 and developed as normal for TMX ( thinking that's what it was ). The result is quite good, with the idiosyncrasy of very high accutance ( at least for what I've seen with TMY/TMX ).

I'm bringing this up because I don't think it was a fluke -- I saw a post online once about how TMY is "meant" to be shot as TMX and was curious but didn't believe the poster. Now I'm not so sure?

Any ideas as to why TMY gives this result? I'm really interested in this personal discovery.

Ken Lee
24-Mar-2009, 07:02
Can you show us the photos ?

TMY is reputed to allow for considerable overexposure: it has a long "straight section" in its response curve. So unless the subject has an extreme brightness range, there may already be some exposure latitude to begin with.

Some people shoot TMY at around 200, so to them, ISO 80 is only really around 1 stop off.

Given that your development time was less than normal for TMY, you performed a moderate contraction of contrast too. If there were any problem with high values, you lessened it.

So in this case, 1 or 2 stops of over-exposure may not be, as they say, "the end of the world". Depending on the subject, you may not even notice it.