PDA

View Full Version : Filter factor for Hitech red and orange filters

shannaford
18-Mar-2009, 16:52
Hi all,
Just hoping someone can provide some advice on how many stops of compensation you give to the Hitech 25a red or orange filters? They didn't come with any advice and can't find anything on their homepage, so grateful for your advice.
Thanks,
Scott

Erik Larsen
18-Mar-2009, 17:00
Hi Scott, I use 2 stops for the red, I don't have an orange if this helps at all.
erik

shannaford
18-Mar-2009, 17:13
Thanks Erik, much apreciated, I'll give that a try.

venchka
18-Mar-2009, 20:01
Hold the filter over your meter. Read the difference.

gevalia
19-Mar-2009, 03:07
Scott,

I found these somewhere a while ago on the HiTech website. I believe they are correct :

All hitech:
- red 2 1/3 stops #25
- orange 1 2/3 stops #21
- yellow 1 stop #8

- yellow/green 2 stops #11
- green 2 2/3 stops #58
- blue 2 2/3 #47

Ron

mandoman7
19-Mar-2009, 12:25
Hold the filter over your meter. Read the difference.

...and then add a stop, according to Hutchings.

JY

venchka
19-Mar-2009, 12:27
...and then add a stop, according to Hutchings.

JY

...or not according to Wayne. :D

Sevo
19-Mar-2009, 12:59
Scott,

I found these somewhere a while ago on the HiTech website. I believe they are correct :

They certainly are correct, but so is 42. The harder part is finding the matching question to the answer. Working out the filter factor for a given film and lighting is much easier and cheaper than figuring out the right film and lighting for a given filter factor. A red #25 should be reasonably similar in response no matter what maker it is from, and I've had to use anything from 1 to 8 stops with a #25, depending on film and light.

Sevo

Chauncey Walden
19-Mar-2009, 14:13
What Hutchings arrived at was based on getting enough detail in shadow areas. So, it was meter through the filter then add none, one, or two stops depending on the filter. In this case, orange (#21) plus 1 stop, red (#25) plus 2 stops.

mandoman7
20-Mar-2009, 10:05
...or not according to Wayne. :D

Shadow detail is not important in Texas? ;)

John

venchka
20-Mar-2009, 10:08
Shadow detail is not important in Texas? ;)

John

It's important. I'm still fumbling around figuring out my filters/film/developing/exposure/etc.

Some of my filters don't seem to be working "by the book."

mandoman7
20-Mar-2009, 10:57
It's important. I'm still fumbling around figuring out my filters/film/developing/exposure/etc.

...aren't we all? !! :confused:

Some of my filters don't seem to be working "by the book."

Its better to go by your results than what a book says, for the most part, but I like to know what the experts have said anyway. We've been having a lot of mustard springing up in vineyards and I've been shooting a lot with different filters to see what makes it "pop". The flowers being yellow, I went with that filter but found it didn't separate the yellows from the greens very well. Orange and red were explored as well. So I've been doing a bunch of direct comparisons and had the orange factor thing fresh on my mind.

In this particular task, it turned out that the best result I got was with no filtering, making the "less-is-more" guy on my shoulder start sounding off...

John

venchka
20-Mar-2009, 11:01
Aye. I should listen to him more as well.

He said sifting through his half dozen lenses and dozen or so filters that don't get enough use.