PDA

View Full Version : presenting prints?

h2oman
14-Mar-2009, 14:40
I'm pretty new to the business of printing my photos for sales or display in my own home. I've tried a variety of things, none of which have left me completely satisfied with the presentation.

I have some new (to me) ideas, but wonder if any of you have experience with them. Let's get one thing straight right off the bat - my work does not warrant the very best of printing processes to bring out that extra little bit of special magic, and neither does it warrant needing to be around in 100 years. I'm also of the mindset of someone else who once posted here that the average buyer will just throw out anything they buy from me when they change furniture or wall color!

My prints are made on an inkjet printer by a place in town - I have decided at this point that when I factor in maintenance, software and time that I'm better off doing that than owning my own printer, at least for the time being. I've been satisfied with what they have done for me so far.

So, after fooling around with regular glass glazing, non-glare plexiglass and some sort of laminating favored by some folks around here, I'm starting to think about just framing prints with no glazing. My questions are

1) Do any of you do this, and do you take any special steps when doing so? Spray coatings? Are some papers better than others for this? The people printing for me are using the latest 44" Epson, for whatever that is worth.

2) Has anyone tried matting a photo without glazing? I'm thinking a bit of dust might collect on the lower beveled edge(s), but could be vacuumed off occasionally.

Any additional feedback would be appreciated.