PDA

View Full Version : What the hell IS this thing?!?!

alec4444
8-Mar-2009, 20:59
I'll save you the long story about how I made it to this site....but what I found there was an object that made me extremely curious:

http://www.cameratique.com/

I love cool, intriguing gadgets. But what the hell IS that thing? Seriously cool whatever it may be!

--A

Attempting to post it here to save you the click (Warning: it's a big file size):

http://www.iscanmanuals.com/ebay/jlbeek/4axissmall.gif

bspeed
8-Mar-2009, 21:12
A machine to summon the Devil and his minions.

aphexafx
8-Mar-2009, 21:22
Maybe it's a sunshine recorder! :)

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=sunshine+recorder&aq=f&oq=

No, probably not, but I have a fascination with sunshine recorders so...

David A. Goldfarb
8-Mar-2009, 21:22
I can't believe you don't have one, Alec. It's pointless to use a large format camera without one of these. You might as well just use a Ferrania cardboard disposable with a plastic lens and be done with it.

Robert Oliver
8-Mar-2009, 21:29
Some accessory for surveying? Maybe fit a Dietzgen surveyor tripod... it looks cool, and very precise.

Brian Vuillemenot
8-Mar-2009, 21:37
It's a doorway to an alternate universe- you better destroy that frigin' thing before someone gets hurt real bad!!!

falth j
8-Mar-2009, 21:39
Ahhmnn...

for those wanting a simple description and answer here it is:

"The Universal Stage is one of the oldest and most useful accessories in the armamentarium of the polarized-light microscopist.

It is conventionally used to examine thin sections of rocks, minerals, slags, ceramics, and concrete, or grain mounts of minerals and other single phase or concentrates in solid or liquid mount; even single large crystals and gemstones can be examined.

The particle microscopist normally mounts an unknown in a liquid or thermoplastic medium that allows for the changing of the sample’s orientation by applying pressure to the edge of a round coverglass, so as to maneuver the particle into the most favorable position for measuring crystal angles, observing interference figures, etc.

However, when one is looking at a thin section of rock, the minerals comprising the rock are at various, fixed orientations, and not much can be done about it when using a flat stage.

The universal stage is designed to both rotate 360° and to tilt such a thin section 40°-50° through any of several axes. One of the first polarizing microscopes was built by Amici in 1844, and this microscope had a built-in E/W tilting axis incorporated outside of its inner, concentric movement.

The biggest problem observed when using this instrument was due to refraction of the light at high angles of tilt, but by 1875 Adams solved that problem by adding small concentric hemispheres above and below the crystal.

By the end of the century (1889-1896) Fedorov had designed the prototype of what would be the modern attachment universal stage.

In the next two decades, Max Berek designed an attachable universal stage for Leitz that incorporated a number of improvements, and is the instrument that is in use today.

Over time, 3-axis, 4-axis, and 5-axis universal stages appeared, although the 4-axis version is the one most commonly used.

In addition to the early universal stage made by Fuess, and others, modern versions have been made by Leitz, Zeiss (Oberkochen), Jena (Zeiss Jena), Bausch & Lomb, Cooke, Nikon, the Russian-made LOMO, and copies of the Leitz made in China.

Although no longer made by the major manufacturers, several Leitz and Chinese-made versions have been available on eBay® in the last year."

Frank Petronio
8-Mar-2009, 21:41
It probably cost $50 million to make one for NASA but you can buy a better gimbal mounted compass at US Boats for $69.

alec4444
8-Mar-2009, 21:56
I can't believe you don't have one, Alec.

That's just what I was thinking. Heck, I think I'll need a spare as well.

Thanks, falth j. I think I get it. Now all I'm wondering if it'll fit my universal iris clamp.... :D

Really, though, I love stuff like this. I'm a disaster at garage sales. If I weren't married, my pad would definitely be some kinda throwback to the Victorian era....zebra carpet, vases full of peacock feathers, mounted bugs on the walls, victrola, odd instruments, etc. It would be awesome!

--A

Frank Petronio
8-Mar-2009, 22:48
You've found this shop in NYC haven't you?

http://theevolutionstore.com/

Since I am going off topic anyway, like minded individuals may enjoy this too:

http://www.CustomCreatureTaxidermy.com/

Nathan Potter
9-Mar-2009, 07:35
This is what I would call a goniometer - a tilting stage on which are mounted samples for x-ray diffraction so that the sample can be tilted at varying angles to the x-ray source. But falthy j seems to have the answer.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Terence McDonagh
9-Mar-2009, 07:48
Really, though, I love stuff like this. I'm a disaster at garage sales. If I weren't married, my pad would definitely be some kinda throwback to the Victorian era....zebra carpet, vases full of peacock feathers, mounted bugs on the walls, victrola, odd instruments, etc. It would be awesome!

--A

Aside from the zebra carpet and ostrich feathers, you've described my collection. being an engineer with some disposable income can eb a dangerous thing. The camera collection is well over 75 in number. The collection of other mechanical "stuff" (it's "stuff" when it's yours and "sh!+" when someone else's) is sometimes overwhelming.

There's all sorts of fun stuff out there. Check out Curta mechanical calculators and their fascinating history ( http://www.diycalculator.com/sp-mechcool.shtml#A4 ). Old surveying equipment. Somewhere I have a small, precision (for the time), hand-powered gear-cutting machine for watch gears. Patent models. The list goes on and on.

Brian Ellis
9-Mar-2009, 09:15
Ahhmnn...

"The Universal Stage is one of the oldest and most useful accessories in the armamentarium of the polarized-light microscopist.

It is conventionally used to examine thin sections of rocks, minerals, slags, ceramics, and concrete, or grain mounts of minerals and other single phase or concentrates in solid or liquid mount; even single large crystals and gemstones can be examined.

The particle microscopist normally mounts an unknown in a liquid or thermoplastic medium that allows for the changing of the sample’s orientation by applying pressure to the edge of a round coverglass, so as to maneuver the particle into the most favorable position for measuring crystal angles, observing interference figures, etc.

However, when one is looking at a thin section of rock, the minerals comprising the rock are at various, fixed orientations, and not much can be done about it when using a flat stage.

The universal stage is designed to both rotate 360° and to tilt such a thin section 40°-50° through any of several axes. One of the first polarizing microscopes was built by Amici in 1844, and this microscope had a built-in E/W tilting axis incorporated outside of its inner, concentric movement.

The biggest problem observed when using this instrument was due to refraction of the light at high angles of tilt, but by 1875 Adams solved that problem by adding small concentric hemispheres above and below the crystal.

By the end of the century (1889-1896) Fedorov had designed the prototype of what would be the modern attachment universal stage.

In the next two decades, Max Berek designed an attachable universal stage for Leitz that incorporated a number of improvements, and is the instrument that is in use today.

Over time, 3-axis, 4-axis, and 5-axis universal stages appeared, although the 4-axis version is the one most commonly used.

In addition to the early universal stage made by Fuess, and others, modern versions have been made by Leitz, Zeiss (Oberkochen), Jena (Zeiss Jena), Bausch & Lomb, Cooke, Nikon, the Russian-made LOMO, and copies of the Leitz made in China.

Although no longer made by the major manufacturers, several Leitz and Chinese-made versions have been available on eBay® in the last year."

I knew that.

BrianShaw
9-Mar-2009, 12:26
This is what I would call a goniometer - a tilting stage on which are mounted samples for x-ray diffraction so that the sample can be tilted at varying angles to the x-ray source. But falthy j seems to have the answer.

I thought a goniometer was a tool for measuring body parts (I once did an anthropometric study years ago and that what we called our measuring tools). Maybe my memory is no good.

Fred L
9-Mar-2009, 13:10
v1.01 prototype Stargate

aduncanson
9-Mar-2009, 13:26
I thought a goniometer was a tool for measuring body parts (I once did an anthropometric study years ago and that what we called our measuring tools). Maybe my memory is no good.

I was taught that a goniometer was a tool for measuring angles; whether angles found on or between body parts, those that a body part might move through, or those between planes or optical axes of a crystal.

Mark Sawyer
9-Mar-2009, 13:56
I love cool, intriguing gadgets. But what the hell IS that thing? Seriously cool whatever it may be!

I know what it is... it's my new desktop background! :D

BrianShaw
9-Mar-2009, 15:00
I was taught that a goniometer was a tool for measuring angles; whether angles found on or between body parts, those that a body part might move through, or those between planes or optical axes of a crystal.

You are right... the memory is all starting to come back. Our subjects were seated in a truck cab mock-up. Arms, legs, etc angles. The tool for measuring straight parts of a body is a, um, ruler... or scale. That anthropometry work is a twenty-two year old memory for me!

alec4444
9-Mar-2009, 17:41
You've found this shop in NYC haven't you?

http://theevolutionstore.com/

Oh I love it! Been in there several times. I was a little upset, though when I found that the stuffed armadillo (2nd floor, to your right) was $2000. That's my 11x14 Wisner! :D

--A

Michael Graves
9-Mar-2009, 18:36
Ahhmnn...

Oh, cut the crap. Everyone knows a door to an alternate dimension when they see it.

walter23
9-Mar-2009, 22:11
Oh, cut the crap. Everyone knows a door to an alternate dimension when they see it.

I thought it was the thing Aughra used to predict the coming of the Great Conjunction, the opportunity to reunite the pieces of the fractured crystal, and bring the two great races back together again to end the dark period of Skeksis rule.

Preston
9-Mar-2009, 23:02
Some of you guys have waaayyy too much time on your hands. :-)

btw: It's a non-Euclidian Geometry angle finder. At infinity, it will predict the point at which parallel lines will cross.

The thing is really cool looking!

-Preston

nikon_sam
10-Mar-2009, 22:24
My God that is so cool...I want one...I don't care what it does or what it's for I WANT ONE!!!
My first thought is that it's something for "Time Travel"...neat and super cool...

Remember that movie with Jodie Foster??? they built something like this...but on a much bigger scale...

Sevo
11-Mar-2009, 04:24
Remember that movie with Jodie Foster??? they built something like this...but on a much bigger scale...

Remember the hubcap UFO's, Graflex light saber, or the pieces of camera crane rigs that are all over the Enterprise bridge? Film productions are cheapskates, and will always integrate leftovers from previous films in their sets, including surplus camera and lighting gear.

Six degrees of freedom goniometers often were used as a perspective reference in drawing spinning 3D scenes for animated sci-fi sequences, or for stop trick model animation of the same - so these are/were cluttered about the animators desks in any case, and a pretty obvious choice for a prop.

Sevo

shmoo
11-Mar-2009, 10:41
This looks like that contraption that they dropped a pod (containing Jodie Foster) through in "Contact"...

Ole Tjugen
11-Mar-2009, 11:51
I knew that.

I've used one. ;)

Yes, it's a Universal Stage. Absolutely irreplaceable if you need one, utterly useless if you don't.

I had a very atypical mineral in one of my thin sections, and needed to measure precise angles in order to eliminate some of the possibilities. The US allowed me to eliminate all but one possibility, and digging around I found that it had been described before. Once. In 1937. Titanotschermakite is not what you expect to find, anywhere. :)

Arne Croell
11-Mar-2009, 12:29
I've used one. ;)

Yes, it's a Universal Stage. Absolutely irreplaceable if you need one, utterly useless if you don't.

I had a very atypical mineral in one of my thin sections, and needed to measure precise angles in order to eliminate some of the possibilities. The US allowed me to eliminate all but one possibility, and digging around I found that it had been described before. Once. In 1937. Titanotschermakite is not what you expect to find, anywhere. :)

Yes again, a Universal Stage for a polarization microscope. I've used it and even taught a course for using it some years ago. They used to be an expensive but not uncommon accessory for polarization microscopes, but are no longer made.

Bob Salomon
11-Mar-2009, 13:21
Here is one for cameras.

Steve_Renwick
11-Mar-2009, 13:39
Titanotschermakite is not what you expect to find, anywhere. :)

I thought he took over the Enterprise once, 'cos he was mad that Capt. Kirk was flirting with his wife.

John Schneider
11-Mar-2009, 13:42

That's what I learned. Our lab has a Rame-Hart goniometer for measuring the contact angles at (typically) solid-liquid interfaces. Really, I hate messing with that thing. This one looks a whole lot more fun.

Speaking of engineers with a penchant for industrial antiques, and their wives who don't share the same interest... Thankfully mine doesn't know about my NIB Norden bombsight, or my goal of eventually putting a ship's telegraph and compass binnacle in my study.

Steve M Hostetter
11-Mar-2009, 14:39
no not at all,,, this is what women use to keep from getting preg,,, yeah, they just have to show it to you

Photojeep
11-Mar-2009, 15:33
Ahhmnn...

What he said!

Bob Sawin
14-Mar-2009, 21:43
Ezekiel's Wheel...

Bob