PDA

View Full Version : Showing at Modernbook Gallery, Palo Alto

Jon Shiu
28-Feb-2009, 15:21
Hi, I would like to invite everyone to the opening Friday, March 6 at Modernbook Gallery where I am showing work in a group show. We will all be at the opening to show our portfolios. The portfolios will also be available for viewing for the duration of the show.

Foto Nova 19: An Exhibition by Bay Area Photographers

Reception for the artists
Friday, March 6, 7-10 PM

http://modernbook.com/fotonova19.htm

Modernbook Gallery
494 University Avenue, Palo Alto, California

Exhibition Dates:
March 6 - 29, 2009

Gallery Hours 11 AM - 9 PM Daily

Jon
www.jonshiu.com

matthew blais
1-Mar-2009, 22:04
Congrats Jon...By the way, I was up at Yosemite for the Renaissance show and your print is very nice..

Jon Shiu
2-Mar-2009, 07:55
Thanks Matt, I wasn't able to get up to the Yosemite Renaissance show yet, but hope to soon.

Jon

Jim Fitzgerald
2-Mar-2009, 08:29
John, I was up at Yosemite for the opening of the show and it was nice to see your print also. I love the tone and the image. The work is beautiful. The show was a lot of fun. It was my first. Congrats on the new show!

Jim

Brad Rippe
2-Mar-2009, 09:24
HI Jon and Jim,
I was up there too and really liked your photographs. I was hoping to meet both of you. Incredibly, I won an honorable mention for my photograph, "Tuolumne Rex"!!!
I'll try to make it to your show, Im sure it will be a success.
-Brad

Jon Shiu
2-Mar-2009, 14:47
Thanks Jim and Brad and congrats! Sounds like it was a fun opening in Yosemite.

Jon

Jim Galli
2-Mar-2009, 14:50
Congrats Jon. Hope it goes very well for you.

Jim Fitzgerald
2-Mar-2009, 19:34
HI Jon and Jim,
I was up there too and really liked your photographs. I was hoping to meet both of you. Incredibly, I won an honorable mention for my photograph, "Tuolumne Rex"!!!
I'll try to make it to your show, Im sure it will be a success.
-Brad

Brad, sorry I missed you. The show could be better run in my opinion. They gave the artist such small name tags that I couldn't read anyone's name. Of course I was drinking heavily and would not have been able to read a name tag anyway. Your image was right under mine, congratulations on the award. I am very happy to be in the show.

Jim

David Karp
2-Mar-2009, 19:44
congratulations.

Jon Shiu
2-Mar-2009, 23:35
Thanks guys. It should be a good reception at Modernbook.

Jon

Harley Goldman
3-Mar-2009, 16:32
Wish I could make it up there, Jon. Have a great reception!

h

Jon Shiu
4-Mar-2009, 12:22
Thanks Harley, apparently the gallery expects up to 500 people to show up, maybe I should make a few more prints!

Jon

Merg Ross
6-Mar-2009, 15:15
A reminder, tonight is the reception; congratulations Jon, and to the other participants. It looks like a talented group, with a selection of diverse images. I hope to make it by before the end of the month.

Be sure to report back.

David Spivak-Focus Magazine
7-Mar-2009, 07:54
How'd it go?

Jon Shiu
9-Mar-2009, 10:15
The show was very well attended, one estimate put it at 600 people. Large crowd for a moderate sized gallery, not easy to see the pictures on the wall. The portfolio showing went well. I showed my work one-on-one to about 25-30 people and really appreciated the feedback from the knowledgeable viewers. I met a number of people from this forum and it was a pleasure to talk to you. I sold three photographs and a few more people expressed interested in buying a piece. A curator invited me to present work to her gallery. Had a nice talk about my work with a photographer whose work I admire. Some of the other photographers sold more, some less. The economy is down, of course. Overall, a very nice and worthwhile experience.

Jon

Jim Fitzgerald
9-Mar-2009, 20:56
Jon, sorry I could not attend. I was in Santa Cruz helping my youngest son work on his movie that he is directing for college. I hope to get back up that way in April. More work on the movie and I always love going to Palo Alto ( oldest graduated from Stanford). I'll stop by the gallery and to the campus for a visit.

Jim

Jon Shiu
10-Mar-2009, 19:11
Hi Jim, sorry we could not meet up. Modernbook is a very good gallery and the owners and staff are very friendly, so do stop by.

Jon

Jim Fitzgerald
10-Mar-2009, 19:28
Jon, I love your work and I will stop by,

Jim

Jon Shiu
17-Mar-2009, 09:25
Hi, we are having more receptions to show and talk about the work. Everyone is welcome to attend and we will have drinks and food. Should be much quieter without the crush of opening night.

Friday, March 20th, 5:30 ~ 7:30pm

and

Saturday March 28th, 2-4pm

the show ends on March 29th.

Jon

Modernbook Gallery
494 University Ave, Palo Alto, California
Open 11-9 daily.
ph: 650 327-6325
http://modernbook.com

drew.saunders
18-Mar-2009, 10:45
I swung by last Friday on my way home from work. Good work, nice location and the work was well presented.

Jon Shiu
18-Mar-2009, 14:03
I swung by last Friday on my way home from work. Good work, nice location and the work was well presented.

Thanks for stopping by! In addition, we will be showing our portfolios on Fri 3/20 and Sat. 3/28, or just ask any of the friendly owners/staff and they will be happy to show anyone who would like to see our prints.

Jon