PDA

View Full Version : scanners at 600 dpi and 1200 dpi.

Bob McCarthy
26-Feb-2009, 11:52
There have been many discussion of scanning at higher dpi settings i.e. 2400 dpi and beyond. But I'm thinking more of scanning very large sheets of film.

Scanning 8x10 film at 1200 dpi, is there a difference between the consumer (Epson 750 for example) and the high end scanners (think Creo or Cezanne).

If there is a difference, is it miniscule or significant??

bob mccarthy

Peter De Smidt
26-Feb-2009, 12:26
Bob, there's really only one way to tell. Have an experienced operator scan a negative for you on the various scanners you're interested in. For example, I could scan one for you on a Cezanne.

How large of a sheet are you talking about?

jim kitchen
26-Feb-2009, 12:33
Dear Bob,

There is a difference, and the difference is directly related to the shadow detail acquired during a scan, and the controlled highlight detail obtained during a scan. Scanning at a larger SPI creates a larger tiff file obviously, and what I would like to suggest that might you do, to aid your investigation, would be to find someone within this group that may be able to scan one of your negatives on a higher quality flatbed and, or a drum scanner for you. Failing that, a qualified scanner operator that is external to this group, should be able to create a set of reference files for you.

Having a set of comparative reference files would benefit your decision making process.

jim k

Bob McCarthy
26-Feb-2009, 14:07
This post began with an ongoing discussion between myself and Scott Rosenberg. When he lived in Texas we went shooting together and are friends. Scott last year bought a Cezanne and I have a line on one also.

I use a consumer grade scanner (an Epson 4990) that has to be the best adjusted one on the planet. It does its job fairly well. Some of it is I know how to use it well, at least I think so.

To the point, I'm thinking of selling the Technika 2K and going to 8x10. For the purpose of this discussion I am ignoring issues like price and portability.

I print to a normal size, never larger than on 24 inch roll paper, often smaller.

Scotts viewpoint is the better scanner with 4x5 is likely as good or better than the 8x10 negative with the 4990.

Since 1200 dpi gets me all that I'll ever need, it there really a difference in scanners at such a low demand.

Let me also point out that I'm talking B&W only and my negatives are optimized for scanning. easy to scan. Thanks Sandy King BTW.

Oh yea, almost forgot. Scott and I are planning a scan around as Peter suggested. We did one last year with a number of folks. Sure miss Ted BTW. He was part of the last scan around project. Last year it was Provia (or was it Velvia, Scott??)

bob