PDA

View Full Version : 150mm Xenotar, Copal 3?

David Millard
24-Feb-2009, 14:26
I just bought a 150mm Xenotar in barrel mount, circa 1979 from the serial number. I was hoping I could drop it into a Compur 2 shutter, and impatiently also bought a relatively inexpensive 240mm Symmar Convertible for that purpose at the same time. Unfortunately, the Xenotar lens housing thread diameters are too large, measuring 57mm. S.K. Grimes lists the equivalent Copal 3 shutter dimensions as 56mm. Is there anyone near Austin with a Copal or Compur 3 shutter who wouldn't mind my checking the fit? I would appreciate the assistance, and would be happy to drive within a 100 mile radius to avoid making another error.

Thanks -
David

Joe Forks
24-Feb-2009, 16:23
Dave,
I've got copal 3 and 3s shutters here at my home, but the thread mounts are M58-0.75 & M56-0.75 respectively.

If 57mm is correct it's right in between the two. At any rate, you're welcome to try.

I've also got an ILex 4 but I think that thread measures 2.340-40

Archphoto
24-Feb-2009, 17:34
Q: sorry but still....
Can't you take the lensparts (front and rear sections) and then put them into a shutter ?
What I can remember of a 150mm Sironar is that it fits into a No 0 shutter....

Peter

David Millard
24-Feb-2009, 17:40
Dave,
I've got copal 3 and 3s shutters here at my home, but the thread mounts are M58-0.75 & M56-0.75 respectively.

If 57mm is correct it's right in between the two. At any rate, you're welcome to try.

I've also got an ILex 4 but I think that thread measures 2.340-40

Thank you Joe -

I'm always happy to visit San Antonio - I'll come down this weekend, and check it out. I'll send you a PM.

David

David Millard
24-Feb-2009, 17:44
Q: sorry but still....
Can't you take the lensparts (front and rear sections) and then put them into a shutter ?
What I can remember of a 150mm Sironar is that it fits into a No 0 shutter....

Peter

Hello Peter -

Thanks for the response. I can screw the front and rear sections out, and you're right about the Sironar, it does fit in a No 0. However, this lens is a much meatier Xenotar.

David

Paul Ewins
24-Feb-2009, 20:46
David, looking at this catalog from 1978 (http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/schneider_4.html) a 150/2.8 Xenotar should fit into a Copal 3. All the earlier catalogs show it in a Compur II 5/2 like the 240 Symmar. I guess that when the Compur 2 stopped production Schneider redesigned the cells to use the larger #3 shutter. My own 240 Symmar is in a Compur Electronic 3 where the thread size on the shutter has been reduced to suit the cells, not the other way round.

David Millard
25-Feb-2009, 02:36
David, looking at this catalog from 1978 (http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/schneider_4.html) a 150/2.8 Xenotar should fit into a Copal 3. All the earlier catalogs show it in a Compur II 5/2 like the 240 Symmar. I guess that when the Compur 2 stopped production Schneider redesigned the cells to use the larger #3 shutter. My own 240 Symmar is in a Compur Electronic 3 where the thread size on the shutter has been reduced to suit the cells, not the other way round.

Thanks for the information Paul. I had read elsewhere that the #3 shutters had reducing adapters to fit the Xenotar's dimensions, but it appears that they modified the lens housing instead, at least in the later versions.

David Millard
12-Mar-2009, 19:07
Thanks for the help everyone - now it's show and tell time! That Copal 3 makes the Technika lensboard seem very small:)