PDA

View Full Version : Install Stall Epson

Annie M.
21-Feb-2009, 08:32
OK here we go I am so excited... now I can scan some contact prints and get them 'out there'...My new Epson V500 just unpacked .... I have made it to step 2 "Install software" I pop the CD into my iMac as per the instruction sheet... little window appears with the 4 blue folders the instructions tell me to select 'English'... I happily comply... then the sheet directs me to click 'Install and follow the on-screen instructions...'

There is no little window like in the illustration on the instruction sheet ... NONE... NADA... RIEN (as per my three language selection choices) I have tried to lure the little window out in all three language... where is it hiding?

Have you ever wondered what my work looked like that week I thought I was Edward Weston... or what 29 waves look like on one negative.... Please help me get this scanner installed.

Cheers Annie

Gene McCluney
21-Feb-2009, 08:38
If you are having problems installing from the CD that came with the scanner, then as an alternative, you can go online and download the latest software from the Epson website. It is free.

Annie M.
21-Feb-2009, 08:46
I'm on dialup and don't know how to convince my computer to accept things from the outside... Epson is closed today so I can't talk to them either to find out what is wrong... I do not even know if I am supposed to prime my Mac somehow for it's Epson experience... I can't find any kind of install software modality in the computer either.

Preston
21-Feb-2009, 09:15
Annie,

Assuming you can get to the Epson site, try looking in the support pages for your scanner to see if there is a FAQ page that will help you.

If you have a virus scanner, or malware detection program running on your machine, try turning it off when you attempt to install the software.

Do you know someone who has a broadband connection to the net? If so, you could ask them to download the driver files for you and then burn them to a CD. Once you have the CD, copy the files to a folder on your machine. You would then need to locate the installer file and run it.

-P

Annie M.
21-Feb-2009, 09:27
Oh my charming darlings... !

I did try the FAQ... however...

It turns out that the Epson scanner is a formal creature and requires that you 'say' it's name before it will engage with you...

So simple... one must first click the Epson blue logo to get it's attention...

Moderators may wish to remove this thread it turns out to be a waste of space I think.

r.e.
21-Feb-2009, 12:08
Does this mean that we get to see what 29 waves look like on one negative?

Annie M.
21-Feb-2009, 18:04
Absolutely!

... my entire day just dissolved into pixels... this may take a bit longer that I had envisioned...

venchka
23-Feb-2009, 06:56
Annie,

Glad to hear that you are making progress. It may still be a good idea to at least check the dates on the latest drivers on the Epson page for the V500 agaist the file dates on your CD. There may be newer drivers. They are usually small and will download in a reasonable amount of time even with dial up speeds. This said by a person who downloaded XP Service Pack 2 at 24,000 bps.

Waiting patiently to see your pixels all in a row.

Annie M.
23-Feb-2009, 08:01
Wayne... thanks for the helpful suggestion!

I too am waiting patiently to see my pixels all in a row... the Epson and I are not getting along... the digital "ICE" sticker on my machine may actually be a clue as to how it feels about me... it is definitely giving me the cold shoulder! The digital ICE must be making the negs shiver... the scans are blurry...

...and Photoshop!! I can make area rugs out the size of images that pop up there from the scanner and no matter how much I use that little lasso I can't seem to wrangle them into submission... I need Photostop not Photoshop!

the photo rodeo continues... !

venchka
23-Feb-2009, 11:22
Annie,

This explanation of scanning by Ken Lee made all the difference in the world for me. I stumbled and bumbled and fumbled along hating scanning for most of a year. After following Ken's methods with Epson Scan I can now produce a scanned file that needs virutally no "fixing" in Adobe Lightroom. Ken's instructions pertain to the Epson 4990. The principles are the same for all Epson scanners using Epson Scan software.

At last, I can scan! I can scan! Thank you Ken!

OOPS, here's the link:

http://www.kenleegallery.com/html/tech/scanning.html

Annie M.
23-Feb-2009, 12:12
Wayne...

Ken's page was a great help thanks! I also found the tone curve editor while I was digging around in the scanner software... I think I can make some progress now!

Thanks again... A

venchka
23-Feb-2009, 12:24
Wayne...

Ken's page was a great help thanks! I also found the tone curve editor while I was digging around in the scanner software... I think I can make some progress now!

Thanks again... A

I haven't ventured as far as the tone curve editor. I may get my nerve up and try it. So far, I have been very pleased with the results I get simply adjusting the histogram per Ken's explantion. So pleased, in fact, that I am going to re-scan the first few negatives that I scanned with Silverfast when I first got the scanner.

Annie M.
23-Feb-2009, 13:06
a sad little scan of my beach... the midtones are crying in misery and it is blurry to the point of soupy...

venchka
23-Feb-2009, 13:26
How many dots per inch? Things never look real sharp on the monitor. Except Ken Lee's scans. He makes us mere mortals look worse then we are. :D

I do like the photo. Mushy or not.

Annie M.
23-Feb-2009, 13:32
LOL... dots per inch... not a clue... time to order the book!!

bspeed
23-Feb-2009, 15:53
If you dont have it figured out to your satisfaction, by Wed., I would be happy to help over the phone. But I have school till after 10 tonight and tommorow.