PDA

View Full Version : shen hao MF backs on a deardorff?

kaiyen
20-Feb-2009, 09:28
Hi all,
I got all kinds of non-relevant results in a search, and since the Deardorff is an older camera (other than of course the new ones being made) I am not as familiar with them.

Is it possible to use the Shen Hao 6x12 and/or 6x17 backs on a Deardoff (obviously with the 4x5 reducing back)? A link to the item is at http://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=122

thanks,
allan

Jeremy Moore
20-Feb-2009, 11:02
Allan,

The Shen Hao backs are made to be used on graflok backs. If your Deardorff has a graflok back then you can. You can find more info on graflok backs here: http://www.graflex.org/speed-graphic/features.html#GraflokBack

mandoman7
20-Feb-2009, 11:11
I don't know for sure, but I would guess a Deardorff graflok back would be hard to find. It kind of defeats the purpose of using one of those cameras to put a small back on it, as cumbersome as they are. Most people wouldn't carry a big heavy camera to shoot small film, seemingly. There are many cheap cameras with graflok backs built in (Crown Graphic), as an alternative.

JY

Nick_3536
20-Feb-2009, 11:57
There is a 6x17 back that fits a 5x7 graflok back. So that's an extra thing to consider.

kaiyen
20-Feb-2009, 13:02
Ah - I didn't realize Deardorffs were not graflock backs. I thought they were pretty standard. I'm not sure about the comment on using a "small" back on the Deardorff - are graflock backs inherently "small?"

thanks. and again sorry for my lack of knowledge on Deardorffs. Sometimes there is so much info out there it's hard to get through.
allan

Ernest Purdum
20-Feb-2009, 18:55
Graflok backs are not inherently small, but the rollfilm holders used with them are medium format - smaller than 4" X 5".

I don't think of Deardorffs as being big heavy cameras. I think they are pretty compact and light for the movement and bellows capability they have.

I have a Graflok back for my 5" X 7" Deardorff. I think multiple formats are a great way to get the most out of expensive pieces of glass.

mandoman7
20-Feb-2009, 21:29
Graflok backs are not inherently small, but the rollfilm holders used with them are medium format - smaller than 4" X 5".

I don't think of Deardorffs as being big heavy cameras. I think they are pretty compact and light for the movement and bellows capability they have.

I have a Graflok back for my 5" X 7" Deardorff. I think multiple formats are a great way to get the most out of expensive pieces of glass.

You're right. I would agree that the 5x7 is not a big heavy camera, and could still handle the graflok pretty well, as I guess you would know. If I was buying a camera with using a roll film back in mind, though, I'm not sure a Deardorff would be my first choice. I have an 8x10 and Baby Deardorff, for reference.

JY