PDA

View Full Version : Super Graphic Questions

dazedgonebye
12-Feb-2009, 13:52
Well, now I know how to open it...I've got other questions.

I've just realized that the super graphic, at least this super graphic, does not have moving rails in the body. My crown has rails that link to the front rails and move as you focus. Since the Super does not, I'm assuming this will limit my wide angle use by quite a bit. Anyone know how wide I can go?

I thought my graphic lens boards would fit, but there seems to be a good mm or more wiggle room. The boards are just not cinched down tightly and will move back and forth by a mm or so. That seems like it would be an issue. Is it?

The camera did not come with a lens. I have no idea what the stops are set to. How can I find that out and how do I go about setting stops for other lenses?

Thanks,

JohnGC
12-Feb-2009, 14:52
Side to side lens board movement probably wont be a problem, if it is "in-out" movement some of tape on the back side of the board around the outer edges should make it tighter. I've used black electrical tape to tighten up old worn lens boards from time to time.

Here is a link to the original (I think) manual on the super graphic. Maybe it will help it some.
http://www.butkus.org/chinon/super_speed/super_speed.htm

Have fun with the new toy. :)

P.S. Look up the section on "drop bed" in the second pdf, I think that will answer your question on the wide angle shots.

dazedgonebye
12-Feb-2009, 15:03
It is in and out movement. I'l work on that.

Ok,

I've gotten something that looks like infinity with the 250mm lens. Measuring back from that point, it looks like a 90mm lens will not be on the focusing rails. That's pretty disappointing.
So, am I doing something very wrong, or am I going to have to focus by moving the standard by hand?

Dan Fromm
12-Feb-2009, 15:05
So, am I doing something very wrong, or am I going to have to focus by moving the standard by hand?That's how they are.

dazedgonebye
12-Feb-2009, 15:41
That's how they are.

crap....

dsphotog
12-Feb-2009, 15:57
I've long since sold the only Super that I've had my hands on, There was a cam for a 90mm, but IIRC they could also use a 65mm of the period.....Maybe it needed a recessed board?

dazedgonebye
12-Feb-2009, 16:27
Well, it looks like either my measurement was wrong or my assumptions were.
I put the 90mm on (hey, there's an idea) and I am easily able to get infinity (or at least something very far away) with the standard on the focusing rail.
I'm also able to get full tilt and rise where it sits.
That's a huge relief. Now I just need to get in those other infinity stops and I'm good to go.

rvhalejr
12-Feb-2009, 16:32
> or am I going to have to focus by moving the standard by hand?

I've got the 1949 Speed Graphic, for 90mm and 65mm I do this
(ref ...cameramanuals.org/prof_pdf/super_speed_graphic-1.pdf page 6 of 16)
1.) Turn Front Focusing Nob all the way in towards the GG. Then Unlock the Front Standard Lever.
2.) Carefully Push back toward the GG.
A.) 90mm Schneider Angulon (pancake) is no problem (or 90mm/101mm Wolleys)
B.) 65mm Schneider Super Angulon be careful (its a vigenetter) the rear cone
may bump the GG.
C.) Any lens with a rear element cone arrangement be careful (90mm Schneider
Super Angulon, etc.)
3.) Lock Front standard Lever.
4.) Use Focusing Nob to adjust (there is a gap between the bed rails and camera body rails and they are connected by what looks like two swivel cams).

Same thing for the Crown, I go not know about the Super.,.

Hope this helps.,.

R.

Dan Fromm
12-Feb-2009, 17:02
R., there are many differences between the Crown and the Super. One is that the Crown's inner and outer bed rails are linked, as you described them, and that the Super's aren't.

dazed, which 90 do you have? I ask because although the original issue 90/6.8 Raptar/Optar and the functionally equivalent 90/6.8 Angulon have a relatively short flange-to-film distance at infinity, modern wasp-waisted wide angles, e.g., Super Angulon, have much longer ...

I think you'll find that with a 90 on the camera the board will have to be dropped or it will appear in the frame.

Good luck, have fun,

Dan

dazedgonebye
12-Feb-2009, 18:46
R., there are many differences between the Crown and the Super. One is that the Crown's inner and outer bed rails are linked, as you described them, and that the Super's aren't.

dazed, which 90 do you have? I ask because although the original issue 90/6.8 Raptar/Optar and the functionally equivalent 90/6.8 Angulon have a relatively short flange-to-film distance at infinity, modern wasp-waisted wide angles, e.g., Super Angulon, have much longer ...

I think you'll find that with a 90 on the camera the board will have to be dropped or it will appear in the frame.

Good luck, have fun,

Dan

I've got the super angulon f8. I took a quick look in bad light and did not see the bed. I'll be sure of it before shooting.

BrianShaw
12-Feb-2009, 18:54
It is in and out movement. I'l work on that.

I've put a thin piece of foam, like light seal foam, in the groove of the SuperGraphic to take up the slack (in-out wiggle) of the pacemaker board.

Gene McCluney
12-Feb-2009, 23:25
I have both Crown and Super. Here are the answers.

Lensboards: Late model lensboards are "dual" models that fit tight on both Crown and Super. These have "dimples" on top, bottom and sides. Older lensboards just have dimples on top and bottom and will require some tape on the sides to mount tight. No problem, just build up the thickness of the board with a few layers of tape and they will fit tight. The new boards available from MPEX are of the "new" style and will fit both cameras without tape. I would just put tape on the outside of the lensboard, not on the side that mates with the camera. You want the lensboard to be pushed back tight into the camera.

Original non-super angulon type 90mm and wider fit back further into the camera than Super-Angulon-Grandagon type wide-angles and may have to be focused by hand, rather than moving the rails. Super-Angulon type 90mm will fit out further and will focus with the rail focus knobs.

65mm wide angles (super angulon style) will for sure only focus on the internal rail. My 65mm is in a focusing mount, a helical mount, and this works fine, but you will have to drop the bed.

When shooting with the 90mm and wider, you will not be able to shoot a vertical with the rotating back without dropping the bed, the rails will show in the photo.