PDA

View Full Version : Brett Weston Exhibit at Santa Barbara Museum of Art

Merg Ross
12-Feb-2009, 12:03
An exhibition of Brett Weston's photographs will open at the Santa Barbara Museum of Art in California on May 2,2009 and close on August 16.

The exhibit is titled, Out of the Shadow, and may interest those who seek an understanding of the relationship between Brett and his father, and the immense influence they had on each other.

From the exhibition announcement; "Examining both the familial and artistic relationship between Brett and his father, Edward, this exhibition illuminates their influence on each other, simultaneously freeing Brett from his father's shadow and allowing him to take his own place in the pantheon of American photography."

I have seen the prints in person, and highly recommend a visit to this fine museum.

Mark Woods
12-Feb-2009, 12:23
Thank you for the heads up. I've seen a number of exhibits there and it's always a pleasure. This should be an interesting one, but in fact all of the shows the curator has put together have been wonderful.

Mark Sampson
12-Feb-2009, 14:15
I saw this show when it was at the Phillips Collection in Washington DC. Don't miss it!

Harley Goldman
12-Feb-2009, 16:42
Excellent! It is great when the home town gets something good like this.

David Karp
12-Feb-2009, 16:44
Thanks Merg,

This will give my wife and I a good excuse to get up there for a weekend visit.

Do you know if there is an exhibition catalog?

Doug Howk
12-Feb-2009, 17:17
The Catalog is "Brett Weston: Out of the Shadow" published by Phillips Collection and Oklahoma Museum of Art. I haven't yet seen the exhibition but got the catalog from Phillips; and it's excellent.

Merg Ross
12-Feb-2009, 18:32
The Catalog is "Brett Weston: Out of the Shadow" published by Phillips Collection and Oklahoma Museum of Art. I haven't yet seen the exhibition but got the catalog from Phillips; and it's excellent.

The catalog reproductions are adequate, but nothing like the original prints. This, of course, is most often the case when the work of a master printer is reproduced. The Lodima Press series is an exception, and the PWG books come close.

David Karp
12-Feb-2009, 19:32
Thanks guys.

Jim Fitzgerald
12-Feb-2009, 21:12
Merg, thanks for this information. This is a show that I do not want to miss. Brett is one of my favorites. A short drive up the coast from Ventura for me.

Jim

Merg Ross
12-Feb-2009, 21:39
Thanks guys.

Merg, thanks for this information. This is a show that I do not want to miss. Brett is one of my favorites. A short drive up the coast from Ventura for me.

Jim

You are welcome. Perhaps you will discern a difference between early vintage prints and later renditions.

Be sure to report back.

Merg

Robert Brummitt
12-Feb-2009, 21:59
Does the show say where it will be heading next? Please come up north all the way to Portland, Oregon!

Merg Ross
12-Feb-2009, 22:14
Does the show say where it will be heading next? Please come up north all the way to Portland, Oregon!

Robert, I do not know where it will go after Santa Barbara. Brett loved Oregon, once bought land near Eugene. Portland would be a natural. Are you still in contact with Jerry Robinson or Art Wright? Perhaps you should start a movement to get the exhibition headed your way!

Merg

Merg Ross
3-May-2009, 21:03
An exhibition of Brett Weston's photographs will open at the Santa Barbara Museum of Art in California on May 2,2009 and close on August 16.

The exhibit is titled, Out of the Shadow, and may interest those who seek an understanding of the relationship between Brett and his father, and the immense influence they had on each other.

From the exhibition announcement; "Examining both the familial and artistic relationship between Brett and his father, Edward, this exhibition illuminates their influence on each other, simultaneously freeing Brett from his father's shadow and allowing him to take his own place in the pantheon of American photography."

I have seen the prints in person, and highly recommend a visit to this fine museum.

As a reminder, the exhibit opened yesterday and will be on view until August 16, 2009.

http://www.sbma.net/exhibitions/current2.asp

Mark Woods
4-May-2009, 08:21
I've had this exhibit on my calendar for about 4 months. My wife and I are going to Santa Barbara in a couple of weeks. Wahoo!

wfwhitaker
4-May-2009, 09:15
For some reason I always learn of these things after they've been on my side of the continent....

Michael Przybyla
4-May-2009, 12:49
Will be at the Currier Museum in Manchester, NH in the fall:

Brett Weston: Out of the Shadow
October 10, 2009 – January 3, 2010
Organized by the Phillips Collection

Jim Fitzgerald
4-May-2009, 17:09
Oh, boy! I had this on my calendar for some time. As I live in Ventura, I'm sure I'll go more than once. I'm going to try to go this week. i'll be sure to report back.i'm sure that Merg having seen the original prints and being very pleased with them makes me want to go right away. Need to make some sales calls in Santa Barbara on Wednesday.

Jim

Merg Ross
5-May-2009, 20:50
Jim, glad you are going to take in the exhibit and report back. I will be there on the weekend of the 30th.

Of particular interest, is the seldom exhibited work that Brett did as a teenager in Mexico and California. This adds a lot to the exhibit, in my opinion.

I look forward to your comments.

Jim Fitzgerald
5-May-2009, 22:52
Jim, glad you are going to take in the exhibit and report back. I will be there on the weekend of the 30th.

Of particular interest, is the seldom exhibited work that Brett did as a teenager in Mexico and California. This adds a lot to the exhibit, in my opinion.

I look forward to your comments.

Merg, thanks again for posting this. i am looking forward to going either tomorrow or Friday for the first trip. I'm certain I'll go several times more. I value your recommendations highly.

Jim

Merg Ross
5-Jun-2009, 21:30
The exhibition is stunning, approximately 150 prints. I attended four times on the weekend. This is a melding of exceptional vision with the silver image.

A reminder, the exhibition closes on August 16, 2009.

Eric Woodbury
5-Jun-2009, 22:14
I've been twice and took a friend and family. It is a lot of prints and a good show. Book is nice, too, and at $25 a good deal. Museum is free the last half hour of the day and Sunday. Warning, half an hour is not enough to see the show. Have fun.

Turner Reich
5-Jun-2009, 22:59
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VT4oJp4nVBg

And the book is sold out, reprinting ?

Merg Ross
7-Jun-2009, 13:32
When I was there last Sunday, the museum store had one book left. However, they were taking delivery on one hundred books the following day (June 1).

Turner Reich
7-Jun-2009, 19:56
Merg that sounds great, I am not sure that I can get down to the exhibit, I would need a place to stay over night if I took the train. I have too many commitments. I want nothing more than to go.

letchhausen
8-Jun-2009, 00:06
Darn, I'm coming down to Carmel for a photo workshop at the end of August but won't be able to extend my trip that much. Guess I'll need to plan another trip for this. Can anyone tell me the real world driving time from L.A. to Santa Barbara? I figure I'll fly in on Thursday and drive up. Depending on the driving time I'll try to find a hotel there or drive back to L.A. that night?......Better than flying out to the east coast however.....

Steve Wadlington
8-Jun-2009, 16:43
Driving time?????? one of the most elusive questions in the universe:-) It takes me anywhere from 1.5hr to 4hr, when I make the travel once a week.

I'm going to see the exibit tomorrow. I'm excited!

Steve

letchhausen
8-Jun-2009, 23:24
Driving time?????? one of the most elusive questions in the universe:-) It takes me anywhere from 1.5hr to 4hr, when I make the travel once a week.

I'm going to see the exibit tomorrow. I'm excited!

Steve

Hmm, thanks. Still, even thinking in that range helps. I think what I'll do is book a hotel there for a night. Then I can drive out, see it. Then see it again the next day and drive back. Go to MOCA, etc.....time to check Virgin America.

Thanks,
Chris

Steve Wadlington
9-Jun-2009, 20:33
I saw the exhibit today! Marvelous! I guess I should just throw my cameras away and never shoot again.

Problem is, I can't stand myself if I don't try for the image. Wife thinks I'm crazy when I say I'm taking images in my head when we drive down the road. My data bank is going to overflow someday.

Merg Ross
11-Jun-2009, 20:50
I saw the exhibit today! Marvelous! I guess I should just throw my cameras away and never shoot again.

Problem is, I can't stand myself if I don't try for the image. Wife thinks I'm crazy when I say I'm taking images in my head when we drive down the road. My data bank is going to overflow someday.

Steve, keep the cameras!

The exhibit you saw should inspire, not thwart, your photographic endeavors.

Indeed, the work was marvelous; a real testimony to what can be done with silver gelatin materials in the hands of a master printer with a special eye.

bigdog
12-Jun-2009, 12:39
The exhibit you saw should inspire, not thwart, your photographic endeavors.

Indeed, the work was marvelous; a real testimony to what can be done with silver gelatin materials in the hands of a master printer with a special eye.

Absolutely!

It got me going when I saw it in OKC last year!

Darin Boville
14-Jun-2009, 04:14
I've ben driving down the coast the past two days and passed through Santa Barbara early this afternoon. I'm traveling with my family and my wife's parents and sister and, remembering this thread, invited them to stop and see the Brett Weston show.

I've seen Brett's work here and there over the years, sometimes at exhibits, sometimes in print. Although I'm a big fan of Edward Weston's work (since I was very young) I've never cared for Brett's. Never gave it much thought.

I walked around with my two daughters and found the show to be well worth my time. Not only was the exhibit a perfect one to talk with my kids about, showing that interesting, expressive images can be found in seemingly commonplace things and about the ability to see and think about seeing more deeply--but my also raised my estimation of Brett as a photographer.

I bought the catalog (which, unfortunately, does not at first glance have all the images from the exhibit in it, though it does have several that are not in the exhibit. My ten-year-old bought the catalog, too. :)

I'll be in San Diego next week and plan to check out the Museum of Photographic Arts (there is an Ansel Adams show there) and then the Getty on our way back north. Speaking of the Westons, we hope to stop by Point Lobos.

Thanks for this thread--I wouldn't have known about the show otherwise.

--Darin

Brian Ellis
14-Jun-2009, 07:30
As a reminder, the exhibit opened yesterday and will be on view until August 16, 2009.

http://www.sbma.net/exhibitions/current2.asp

I read the interesting brief summary at that link, thanks for posting it. If you know anybody connected with the exhibit you might mention to them that 12 prints in an edition of 100 isn't 12,000 prints. Certainly no big deal but if it can be easily fixed to the right number whatever it is they might want to do so.

I sure wish I could see the exhibit but it's a little far away for me. I've never seen an original Brett Weston print but what I've seen in books was a big influence on my own
photography for quite a while.

Turner Reich
14-Jun-2009, 17:18
What makes it worse is having seen a fair number of them and not being able to make the August deadline. Too bad the exhibit goes to the other side of the country. That will probably be the end of the show.

Merg Ross
14-Jun-2009, 18:53
I read the interesting brief summary at that link, thanks for posting it. If you know anybody connected with the exhibit you might mention to them that 12 prints in an edition of 100 isn't 12,000 prints. Certainly no big deal but if it can be easily fixed to the right number whatever it is they might want to do so.

I sure wish I could see the exhibit but it's a little far away for me. I've never seen an original Brett Weston print but what I've seen in books was a big influence on my own
photography for quite a while.

Brian, I noticed the math problem also, however the rest of the blurb is correct for the most part. As to numbers for the 50th Anniversary Portfolio, Brett said that he made about 150 prints of the twelve negatives and the printing portion of the project took two weeks. There were 105 portfolios made. This is not to be confused with the Print Project, which started in 1952 and ended in 1953 with the printing of 832 negatives. The only complete set of prints (all 832) are at the University of California, Santa Cruz.

I hope that you have an opportunity to see some of Brett's original prints; they are special.

Merg Ross
23-Jun-2009, 21:01
Merg, thanks again for posting this. i am looking forward to going either tomorrow or Friday for the first trip. I'm certain I'll go several times more. I value your recommendations highly.

Jim

Hi Jim, I was wondering if you had an opportunity to see the exhibit. I know that the fires probably kept you away on the days that you originally planned to visit.

There is still plenty of time, let us hear if you make it by; you will not be disappointed!

Jim Fitzgerald
23-Jun-2009, 21:09
Hi Jim, I was wondering if you had an opportunity to see the exhibit. I know that the fires probably kept you away on the days that you originally planned to visit.

There is still plenty of time, let us hear if you make it by; you will not be disappointed!

Merg, thanks for the follow up. No I've been very busy at the new job and even though I have many customers in the Santa Barbara area I have not made it yet. I know when I do I'll be there a long time as I love the work of Brett and Edward and of this guy in Art Wrights movie a young Merg Ross! Love your work, Merg.

My son just finished his junior year at the University of California Santa Cruz and he told me the Weston collection has been put away due to the renovation of the library that houses the images. I hope to get in to see them next time I am up there. Boy, They will have to kick me out of there! I think he said it is going to be finished next year. I'll keep everyone updated.

Jim

Turner Reich
23-Jun-2009, 21:30
Has the Brett Weston exhibit been put away? If the renovation is not going to be finished until next year then the show will be way past due and it would have moved on to the next venue. It sounds like the show is over there in SB.

Wasn't Merg in the truck and at the gallery in the Art Wright video? Merg, do you remember what the lens was on that beautiful Calumet camera you had at Point Lobos?

Many regards.

Merg Ross
23-Jun-2009, 21:54
Has the Brett Weston exhibit been put away? If the renovation is not going to be finished until next year then the show will be way past due and it would have moved on to the next venue. It sounds like the show is over there in SB.

Wasn't Merg in the truck and at the gallery in the Art Wright video? Merg, do you remember what the lens was on that beautiful Calumet camera you had at Point Lobos?

Many regards.

Turner, some clarification is in order. The Brett Weston exhibition at the Santa Barbara Museum of Art will be on display until the announced closing in August; it will then travel east and open in New Hampshire, as indicated earlier in this thread.

What Jim is referring to, is the Edward Weston Print Project prints that are currently, and perhaps forever, housed on the University of California, Santa Cruz campus. This is the only complete set under one roof. Apparently, renovations are underway that will take them out of display for a short time.

Regarding the Art Wright film, my appearances were at Brett's house and again at Point Lobos photographing with Brett. The lens on my Calumet camera was the first that I purchased new, in 1960; it was (and is) a 150mm, f:5.6 Symmar convertible. Steve Grimes mounted it in a new shutter for me in 2000.

Merg Ross
23-Jun-2009, 22:15
Merg, thanks for the follow up. No I've been very busy at the new job and even though I have many customers in the Santa Barbara area I have not made it yet. I know when I do I'll be there a long time as I love the work of Brett and Edward and of this guy in Art Wrights movie a young Merg Ross! Love your work, Merg.

My son just finished his junior year at the University of California Santa Cruz and he told me the Weston collection has been put away due to the renovation of the library that houses the images. I hope to get in to see them next time I am up there. Boy, They will have to kick me out of there! I think he said it is going to be finished next year. I'll keep everyone updated.

Jim

Jim, thanks for the kind comment on my work.

I was interested to hear about the library update and situation with the Weston collection. Hope your son is having as much fun as my daughter did at that beautiful campus! Please keep us updated.

Darin Boville
23-Jun-2009, 22:20
Turner, some clarification is in order. ...

What Jim is referring to, is the Edward Weston Print Project prints that are currently, and perhaps forever, housed on the University of California, Santa Cruz campus. This is the only complete set under one roof. Apparently, renovations are underway that will take them out of display for a short time.

Hold on there...are you saying that a bunch of EW's prints are on *display* at Santa Cruz? I had no idea...?

--Darin

Jim Fitzgerald
23-Jun-2009, 22:25
Jim, thanks for the kind comment on my work.

I was interested to hear about the library update and situation with the Weston collection. Hope your son is having as much fun as my daughter did at that beautiful campus! Please keep us updated.

Merg, you are welcome. i always draw inspiration from your website. One day we will hook up and I can see the images in person. Then you will have to kick me out because I know I'll have to many questions for you.

I'll make sure to check on the library situation and let everyone know what is going on.

Yes, my son is having a great time. He is a film major and will graduate early at the end of the winter quarter and then go back to walk with his class in June. Can't believe 9 years of college is almost over! Stanford '05, USC '08 and UCSC '10! Man am I proud of my boys!

Jim

Merg Ross
23-Jun-2009, 22:44
Hold on there...are you saying that a bunch of EW's prints are on *display* at Santa Cruz? I had no idea...?

--Darin

Darin, these are prints from EW's negatives made by Brett in 1952 and 1953 and known as the "Project" prints. All were approved by Edward and printed on Haloid Industro paper. The only complete set of the 832 prints is at UC Santa Cruz, a gift of D. M.

Darin Boville
23-Jun-2009, 22:47
Darin, these are prints from EW's negatives made by Brett in 1952 and 1953 and known as the "Project" prints. All were approved by Edward and printed on Haloid Industro paper. The only complete set of the 832 prints is at UC Santa Cruz, a gift of D. M.

Hey Merg,

Very interesting. Are many of them on display or is this a reading room sort of thing? I moved nearby five years ago and never realized UCSC had these :)

Also, do you (or anyone else) know what resolution the Brett Weston still are on the DVD? Large enough to look good on a 24" monitor?

Thanks,

--Darin

Merg Ross
24-Jun-2009, 07:55
Hey Merg,

Very interesting. Are many of them on display or is this a reading room sort of thing? I moved nearby five years ago and never realized UCSC had these :)

Also, do you (or anyone else) know what resolution the Brett Weston still are on the DVD? Large enough to look good on a 24" monitor?

Thanks,

--Darin

Darin, UC Santa Cruz has a large photography collection. Viewing is available to the public with prior arrangement. Check with Special Collections & Archives department on campus. You may have to wait until the McHenry Library addition is completed.

The DVD stills should be fine on your monitor; there are 892 of them.

Darin Boville
24-Jun-2009, 10:24
Darin, UC Santa Cruz has a large photography collection. Viewing is available to the public with prior arrangement. Check with Special Collections & Archives department on campus. You may have to wait until the McHenry Library addition is completed.

The DVD stills should be fine on your monitor; there are 892 of them.

Thanks....looks like I need to drive down to Santa Cruz a little more often...

--Darin

Harley Goldman
1-Jul-2009, 15:38
I finally made it to the Weston exhibit. It is excellent!!!! There are many more prints than I expected and it is a great retrospective on his entire career. I plan to go back and see it again.

Merg Ross
1-Jul-2009, 22:01
I finally made it to the Weston exhibit. It is excellent!!!! There are many more prints than I expected and it is a great retrospective on his entire career. I plan to go back and see it again.

Glad you were able to view the exhibition, enjoyed it, and plan to return. It really is worth seeing more than once, if possible. I viewed it four times over a three day period, really too much for a single viewing with that many images. The early work done in Mexico makes it a true retrospective. The two wood sculptures by Brett from Ron Perisho's collection were a nice addition.

For those procrastinators, only six weeks left, and then the show moves on!

Jeffrey Sipress
2-Jul-2009, 09:00
I live just down the street from the SBMA, but have not made it to this show yet. Probably do it this weekend. The museum also has a nice collection of Ansel's prints that they put up every couple of years.

Now I have something to do this weekend other than staying home to avoid the tourista onslaught.

tgtaylor
2-Jul-2009, 09:49
I saw the exhibit last weekend and it's was definitely worth the drive down. The accompanying book was in stock and is well worth the $25 cover price.

It's interesting that Brett tended towards the 'dark side' in printing many of his images. For example, in Snow, Mono Lake, 1955 the foreground white snow is interpreted in the print as an almost middle grey. Probably easier on the eyes, though, and allows you to wander around the image without a distracting (?) white foreground. Similarly, many of the Dunes and beach images are also 'dark.' Not to complain, though, as I stopped at Mission Santa Inez on the way back and photographed the cacti with the intent of interpreting the green of the cacti as black. From the negatives, it looks like I succeeded on a couple of images.

In reading the essays in the book I was surprised to learn that Brett switched to medium format around the 1960's. I wonder if he shot MF exclusively from that point forward? Also, the size of the prints as given in the book appear different than what I recall at the time of the viewing. Somehow, some of the prints listed as being 8x10 in the book appeared larger in my memory.

I hope that the exhibit finds its way north to Carmel or San Francisco as I would really like to see it again.

Merg Ross
2-Jul-2009, 10:04
I saw the exhibit last weekend and it's was definitely worth the drive down. The accompanying book was in stock and is well worth the $25 cover price.

It's interesting that Brett tended towards the 'dark side' in printing many of his images. For example, in Snow, Mono Lake, 1955 the foreground white snow is interpreted in the print as an almost middle grey. Probably easier on the eyes, though, and allows you to wander around the image without a distracting (?) white foreground. Similarly, many of the Dunes and beach images are also 'dark.' Not to complain, though, as I stopped at Mission Santa Inez on the way back and photographed the cacti with the intent of interpreting the green of the cacti as black. From the negatives, it looks like I succeeded on a couple of images.

In reading the essays in the book I was surprised to learn that Brett switched to medium format around the 1960's. I wonder if he shot MF exclusively from that point forward? Also, the size of the prints as given in the book appear different than what I recall at the time of the viewing. Somehow, some of the prints listed as being 8x10 in the book appeared larger in my memory.

I hope that the exhibit finds its way north to Carmel or San Francisco as I would really like to see it again.

Brett first used medium format in the early 1960's, a Mamiyaflex TLR. He used it mostly for portraits. In 1969 he was given the Rollei SL66 system by Rollei and used it extensively until the end of his career. He continued to use the 8x10 into the 1980's.

The exhibit next travels to NH. Future locations have not been announced although the original plan was for the exhibit to go abroad.

Eric Woodbury
2-Jul-2009, 10:05
I've seen it several times now and took the family, too. We all enjoyed it. It is a wonderful show, large, covering images from old to new. And there are some images there that I've not seen anywhere else. But I also noticed prints there that weren't up to snuff, poorly printed, modeled and the like. Many prints had mats that covered the edges of the print and perhaps the signature (?). It is unclear what is going on with these. The show seems to include absolutely every print they could find.

It doesn't really bother me not to see the signature, especially since Brett often signed prints in the low right corner, but if the print is partly covered, then some cropping other than the photographer's has taken place. Very odd.

Still a great show and don't let my slightly sour comments deter you from this opportunity. YMMV.

Merg Ross
2-Jul-2009, 10:20
I've seen it several times now and took the family, too. We all enjoyed it. It is a wonderful show, large, covering images from old to new. And there are some images there that I've not seen anywhere else. But I also noticed prints there that weren't up to snuff, poorly printed, modeled and the like. Many prints had mats that covered the edges of the print and perhaps the signature (?). It is unclear what is going on with these. The show seems to include absolutely every print they could find.

It doesn't really bother me not to see the signature, especially since Brett often signed prints in the low right corner, but if the print is partly covered, then some cropping other than the photographer's has taken place. Very odd.

Still a great show and don't let my slightly sour comments deter you from this opportunity. YMMV.

Your concerns echo mine. I was disappointed to see the overmats intrude on the image. The framing was not done by the SBMA, it should be noted. Brett, especially with the 8x10, utilized the entire negative, and any "post-cropping" is indeed unfortunate. As to the prints that were not up to Brett's high standard, they were pulled from a large inventory of loose prints and are displayed without being dry mounted. Unfortunately, although Brett was able to destroy most of his negatives, he never had the opportunity to destroy some of his prints. There were several in the exhibit that should have been. Overall, I agree that it is a great show.

tgtaylor
2-Jul-2009, 13:32
Your concerns echo mine. I was disappointed to see the overmats intrude on the image. The framing was not done by the SBMA, it should be noted. Brett, especially with the 8x10, utilized the entire negative, and any "post-cropping" is indeed unfortunate. As to the prints that were not up to Brett's high standard, they were pulled from a large inventory of loose prints and are displayed without being dry mounted. Unfortunately, although Brett was able to destroy most of his negatives, he never had the opportunity to destroy some of his prints. There were several in the exhibit that should have been. Overall, I agree that it is a great show.

Since this was the first time that I have viewed Brett's work, you guys have my interest piqued. In what manner were some of the prints "not up to Brett's high standard(s)?" Could you elaborate with a specific print from the exhibit?

I, too, was somewhat surprised that with the exception on one print which, I believe, was a "self portrait," that his signature was not present. However not all artists sign their prints and I assumed that outside of the self portrait, taken when he was 17 years old, Brett was one of them.

For some reason I interpreted the dry mounted prints as being mounted by Brett and that the over-matted prints were sold unmounted to a collection and were subsequently corner mounted for presentation and archival purposes.

Finally, is there any reason to speculate on the authenticity of any of the images? I hope not.

Merg Ross
2-Jul-2009, 14:41
Since this was the first time that I have viewed Brett's work, you guys have my interest piqued. In what manner were some of the prints "not up to Brett's high standard(s)?" Could you elaborate with a specific print from the exhibit?

I, too, was somewhat surprised that with the exception on one print which, I believe, was a "self portrait," that his signature was not present. However not all artists sign their prints and I assumed that outside of the self portrait, taken when he was 17 years old, Brett was one of them.

For some reason I interpreted the dry mounted prints as being mounted by Brett and that the over-matted prints were sold unmounted to a collection and were subsequently corner mounted for presentation and archival purposes.

Finally, is there any reason to speculate on the authenticity of any of the images? I hope not.

Brett always dry mounted his prints and then signed them. However, it is not unusual to see an exhibition of his prints where the signature is not visible. This is because it would necessitate a cutout for his signature which he placed in the lower right corner of the mat. Brett maintained that he placed the signature so that it would be less distracting and also as a deviation from his father's procedure. Many, including myself, prefer to see his work without the cutout as was done for the current exhibition. If they are drymounted, they are signed.

There are different methods for an overmat; one reveals the entire photograph, while another intrudes ever so slightly into the image. The latter process was used for this exhibition as can be observed in the 8x10 contact print of Garrapata Beach. The mat intrudes into the mountain and sky area along the top right edge.

When Brett's complete archive was purchased it included mounted prints, loose prints, and some negatives. A mounted print would have passed his inspection before being signed. The unmounted prints would not have gone through the same inspection process and Brett was ruthless in destroying anything not up to his standards. He had a thirty gallon trash can in his darkroom and put it to good use.

Darin Boville
2-Jul-2009, 14:53
When my kids and I were at the show we noticed a few prints where we guessed that the mat was covering up too much of the edge of the image. The prints looked just shy of being quite right, if you know what I mean. (My twelve year old cuts my mats so her opinion is not entirely naive).

One of the first things we did after we bought the catalog was to check the reproductions to see if we were right--and apparently we were wrong. The reproduction essentially matched the framed image.

Another "activity" the kids and I did at the exhibit (we were there for a while...) was to match up prints that the curator had separated for reasons that are unclear. For example, there is an image of a Sierra lake with a tilted tree in it. Later on in the exhibit we came to a very similar image. We went back and found the first image--quite a ways away--and after comparing them back and forth decided it was the same lake, same day, same time. In another example there was a shot of peeling paint. On the far side of that gallery is another shot of peeling paint. Same year, looks like the same peeling paint.

Much of this is not in the catalog. Bummer.

--Darin

Merg Ross
2-Jul-2009, 16:27
When my kids and I were at the show we noticed a few prints where we guessed that the mat was covering up too much of the edge of the image. The prints looked just shy of being quite right, if you know what I mean. (My twelve year old cuts my mats so her opinion is not entirely naive).

One of the first things we did after we bought the catalog was to check the reproductions to see if we were right--and apparently we were wrong. The reproduction essentially matched the framed image.

Another "activity" the kids and I did at the exhibit (we were there for a while...) was to match up prints that the curator had separated for reasons that are unclear. For example, there is an image of a Sierra lake with a tilted tree in it. Later on in the exhibit we came to a very similar image. We went back and found the first image--quite a ways away--and after comparing them back and forth decided it was the same lake, same day, same time. In another example there was a shot of peeling paint. On the far side of that gallery is another shot of peeling paint. Same year, looks like the same peeling paint.

Much of this is not in the catalog. Bummer.

--Darin

Darin, the catalog reproductions are not full image in every case. However, they are very close to being full, as were the overmat prints. I don't think this is a major concern except on a few familiar images where the crop was evident.

Merg Ross
23-Jul-2009, 12:03
CASA Magazine did a page on the panel presentation that occured at the May opening. A correction to the caption with Erica Weston, she is of course Brett's daughter, not Edward's.

http://www.casasb.com/Society/6.12.9%20SBMA%20Brett%20Weston.pdf

A reminder, the exhibit closes three weeks from this Sunday, August 16, 2009.

Jim Fitzgerald
23-Jul-2009, 20:10
Merg, thanks for this. I'm heading up on Wed. or Thurs. of next week with my youngest son to see the exhibit.

Jim

David Karp
23-Jul-2009, 20:39
My wife and I are heading up tomorrow evening for a weekend in Santa Barbara. We will definitely be visiting the museum. We have been looking forward to this since this thread started!

Merg Ross
23-Jul-2009, 20:53
Merg, thanks for this. I'm heading up on Wed. or Thurs. of next week with my youngest son to see the exhibit.

Jim

My wife and I are heading up tomorrow evening for a weekend in Santa Barbara. We will definitely be visiting the museum. We have been looking forward to this since this thread started!

Jim and Dave, in my very biased opinion, I do not believe that you will be disappointed! I look forward to your appraisal. As a reminder, the museum is closed on Monday and is free on Sunday.

David Karp
23-Jul-2009, 21:07
Thanks Merg. I think it very unlikely that I will be disappointed, unless they are out of books.

Darin Boville
23-Jul-2009, 21:17
It is odd that this is not available online anywhere...

Here is the link to the sponsor's bookstore--may be a good bet to get it now if they have it: http://www.okcmoa.com/store/brettwestoncatalogue

--Darin

Merg Ross
23-Jul-2009, 21:30
It is odd that this is not available online anywhere...

Here is the link to the sponsor's bookstore--may be a good bet to get it now if they have it: http://www.okcmoa.com/store/brettwestoncatalogue

--Darin

I believe a better choice would be to first check with Terri Clark at the Santa Barbara Museum Store.

Terri Clark, e-mail: tclark@SBMA.net Ph: 805-884-6454

tgtaylor
24-Jul-2009, 09:18
When I went to the exhibit about this time last month, the book was sold out on line but the museum had a good number of copies on hand. I guess it was Terri Clark who told me that they had just received a shipment.

It's a steal at $25 so don't pass it up!

Tony Karnezis
24-Jul-2009, 14:07
I just bought the book last week and am looking forward to the exhibit. I am driving down this weekend to see it!

Merg Ross
24-Jul-2009, 20:22
I just bought the book last week and am looking forward to the exhibit. I am driving down this weekend to see it!

Hi Tony, I am pleased to hear that you will be able to see the exhibit, knowing that you are a fan of Brett's work. I look forward to seeing you when you return.
Best,
Merg

David Karp
26-Jul-2009, 22:50
Merg,

Many thanks for pointing this exhibit out to all of us.

My wife and I made it up to Santa Barbara this weekend. We visited the museum and viewed the exhibit Saturday afternoon and returned on Sunday for another visit. It was wonderful, and we enjoyed it tremendously. It was a wonderful weekend all around.

We purchased the book, and there were many on hand in the museum store.

Tony Karnezis
28-Jul-2009, 13:48
What a wonderful exhibit! And what a wide range of prints, from the 1920s up to 1980, including many I had never seen before. I'm glad you encouraged me to go, Merg.

And for those who are interested, the book store has plenty of books on hand.

Jim Fitzgerald
28-Jul-2009, 19:40
Merg, I'm going up to the exhibit tomorrow with my youngest son. Can't wait to see Brett's work. I have the Art Wright DVD and I love the images at the end of the DVD. I watch it before I go out on a shoot for inspiration.

Jim

John Bowen
28-Jul-2009, 19:48
After Santa barbara the exhibit heads to Manchester, Vermont opening 10/10 (I think). Looking forward to seeing Brett's work...

Ron McElroy
28-Jul-2009, 20:28
Just curious, but how does one find out where the show is traveling next? Unfortunately I can't get out to the west coast.

Merg Ross
29-Jul-2009, 07:55
The exhibition travels to the Currier Museum of Art in Manchester, New Hampshire. It will be on view from October 10, 2009 through January 3, 2010.

Allen in Montreal
29-Jul-2009, 07:58
After Santa barbara the exhibit heads to Manchester, Vermont opening 10/10 (I think). Looking forward to seeing Brett's work...

The exhibition travels to the Currier Museum of Art in Manchester, New Hampshire. It will be on view from October 10, 2009 through January 3, 2010.

Thank you John and Merg,,

Manchester is only a few hours drive.

http://www.currier.org/upcomingexhibitions.aspx

Will make the trip down to see it.

John Bowen
29-Jul-2009, 08:39
Merg,

Thanks for correcting my mistake. I'd have shown up in the wrong state! Yikes!

Merg Ross
29-Jul-2009, 09:10
John, hope you get a chance to see the exhibit. There was early talk of it traveling abroad, although I have not heard anything recently about future plans.

Jim Fitzgerald
29-Jul-2009, 18:04
Merg and everyone who has attended the show. My son and I got back this afternoon and were both exhausted from sensory overload! The show is something that you should not miss. After viewing Brett's work it makes me want to break out my stash of Azo/Amidol and get to work. Stunning prints very well presented. I'll certainly go again. Thanks for letting me know about the show. My son and I loved it.

Jim

Tori Nelson
29-Jul-2009, 18:33
I'll be going either next Wednesday or Thursday, I can't wait. I hope they still have books left!

John Bowen
29-Jul-2009, 19:12
Merg,

I'm working with Bruce Barlow to plan a fall photo trip that will include at least one visit to the Currier Museum. I wouldn't miss this for the world! With any luck we can schedule our travels to see Brett's work at both the beginning and end of our trip.

Jim,

By all means break out that stash of Azo/Amidol and get to work!

David Karp
29-Jul-2009, 22:42
I hope they still have books left!

On Sunday they had two big piles of the book on the table in the store. You should be in good shape.

The book is nice, especially after having seen the prints in person. And that is without having read any of it yet.

Merg Ross
10-Aug-2009, 21:18

A reminder, this coming Sunday (August 16) the exhibition will close in Santa Barbara and travel to New Hampshire.

David Karp
10-Aug-2009, 22:11
Unlike any other photographic exhibit I have seen, this one has impacted me the most. I think it was the photos of the cracked paint that really threw me. I don't want to make the same photos, but I was impressed by the intensity of Brett Weston's seeing. Those and other photos in the exhibit indicated a focus and intensity that is not often seen.

I was on a trip last week, but even while hiking with the the family, I was trying to look harder, see more things, be open to opportunities that I would normally miss. At least one photo that I made was of something I probably would not have seen had I not been to this exhibit. I don't know if it will be successful, but it does not matter.

An entirely unexpected and pleasurable dividend of having seen the show.

Jeffrey Sipress
11-Aug-2009, 09:12
David, I agree with you. It's all about personal vision, and being able to see a finished print in your mind while looking at a real scene.

The show was fabulous. I was a little worn out from 'high contrast' by the end of the second room, but that was the style of the times and it still had impact.

John Bowen
27-Oct-2009, 14:41
I saw this at the Currier on Monday. The photographs are beautiful, but as is to be expected, the photographs are less than properly lit.

Highly recommended!

Merg Ross
28-Oct-2009, 20:23
I saw this at the Currier on Monday. The photographs are beautiful, but as is to be expected, the photographs are less than properly lit.

Highly recommended!

John, glad that you were able to view the exhibit and give it a thumbs up! Lighting was not a problem at the Santa Barabara Museum of Art showing; however, many photography exhibits suffer from a lack of sufficient illumination. Fortunately, Brett's prints can take a bit less light than those of his father, which really suffer in low illumination galleries.