PDA

View Full Version : Old De Vere enlarger

Dave Tolcher
3-Aug-2001, 17:25
Hi there, I am looking to buy a s/h enlarger for B & W that will cover 5X4 down to 35mm. I have seen a couple of private adverts for De Vere 5X4 enlargers which appear to pre-date the 504. Both have cold cathode heads and various glass and glassless mounts. I have to travel a bit to see either and wondered whether 1) t here are any resources for De Vere enlargers that might enable me to get a feel for look/style before travelling or whether there are any views on whether I sho uld touch these at all. Prices are a bit variable - #200 to #300 ukp including some extra bits and lenses. I would look to replace my current enlarger rather t han have 2 !

Thanks

Dave

Valery Axenov
4-Aug-2001, 14:14
Hi Dave,

this information may be helpfull:

www.odyssey-sales.com/de_vere.html - DeVere producer in UK,(new/used) www.mrcad.co.uk - (used), may contain some pic.

Odyssey-Sales has service dep. It's the best sourse of any tech. infromation. Contact person Mr.James. I purched DeVere 203 (10years EX+) from Odyssey-Sales here in EU. I have been informed that old (2x3) models has a different lifting mechanism. New 504/203 models exelect professional enlargers. Note in respect of cold light according to information from Odyssey, Aristo adapt new VC cathode for 504 model.

Best regards, Valery

Joe Hall
16-May-2008, 00:42
Hi Dave, I have a De Vere 57 inch enlarger, which after several decades have decided to sell it - I've run out of room. It started life with an international newspaper group in the 70's - I bought it from them. I used it for a short time then stored it. It's a vertical enlarger with every possible combination of lens and plate holder - large and small. Would like to see it go to a nice home. Joe Hall joe@jhnetworks.net

IanG
16-May-2008, 02:36
I used an ex-Navy De Vere 5x4 for years, they are great enlargers, just as capable as newer models. Go for one, you won't regret it.

Ian

Andrew_4548
16-May-2008, 04:14
I have a "54" model that predates the 504 models.

I gather it's nominally 5x4 but would take a 5x7 "unoficially" as a tax dodge in post-war UK (5x7 was classed as professional use so attracted a higher tax rate than "ordinary" 5x4)

It's built very solidly with two 1" ground bars as rear columns for the head to slide up and down on - the head mass being taken by a flat spring. It's very smooth in operation. The beauty of the 504 models is the base focusing wheels but I have to have longer arms... It pushed me into getting a 120mm lens for mine.

It'll take from 5x7 down to 35mm depending upon condensors but I've only used it for 5x4. I also have the cold cathode head but it's a bit hopeless unless you've got graded papers.

I connected mine in to an RH Designs Analyser Pro then went for a Stopclock Pro and Zonemaster combo but I need more practice with these.

Andrew

Ash
16-May-2008, 07:07
Wow, a 7 year old thread being dragged up by the same person?

Joe Hall
22-Sep-2008, 14:32
I have a De Vere 54 inch enlarger which I have no further use
joe@jhnetworks.net