PDA

View Full Version : Inspirational/educational video suggestions?

John Kasaian
9-Feb-2009, 07:41
I was thinking of adding a dvd or two to my syllabus to help whet the appetites of my LF photography students (senior citizens living in a semi assisted living home.)
What I'd like is something that shows the potential of large format photography. I've found plenty of fine bios of large format photographers like Ansel Adams and Edward Weston, but so far very little about the beauty possible with large format photography.

The subjects available within the home are the gardens, still life, and portraits--using natural lighting (because I don't got anything else) so a dvd showing examples of these subjects would be preferable. We'll be contact printing 5x7s shot on a pair of old Agfa Anscos I bought for my kids.

Walter Calahan
9-Feb-2009, 08:21
Whatever you do, don't show them Sally Mann's 'What Remains.' HA!

I just showed it to my Independent Study college students. They were left silent.

John T
9-Feb-2009, 09:09
Maybe not what you were looking for, nor maybe not terribly inspirational, but my students love this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnlCz1P95WM

G Benaim
9-Feb-2009, 12:29
I'd definitely take a look at Art Wright's Brett Weston DVD. I got mine off ebay from him directly.

John Kasaian
9-Feb-2009, 14:17
Whatever you do, don't show them Sally Mann's 'What Remains.' HA!

I just showed it to my Independent Study college students. They were left silent.

Actually Walter, this crowd might get a kick out of it. The ones
I've talked to are appreciate their situation (they know a helluva lot more about life and death than I!) But since we're not making colloidion glass plates I think it might frustrate them.

Michael Mutmansky
9-Feb-2009, 14:28
I recommend a non-photography video called "Rivers and Tides", about the Scottish sculptor Andy Goldsworthy.

It is an interesting document on the creative process that he uses, and I think that many landscape photographers could find value in it. There is a small photography connection in the video, but it is mostly useful as a method for an artist to begin to develop the inner eye that helps define an artist as more than an imitator of other artistic influences.

Highly recommended.

---Michael

r.e.
9-Feb-2009, 15:04
The PBS Modern Masters programme on Richard Avedon: http://www.amazon.com/American-Masters-Richard-Avedon-Darkness/dp/B00005Y71Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1234217124&sr=1-1

aphexafx
9-Feb-2009, 15:15
"Shadow of the House" documents the art and process of Abelardo Morell. He employs very simple and traditional camera techniques to produce a very modern photographic style. He experiments with common items using shadow and perspective. Amazing work and entirely relatable. He is also famous for his camera obscura work in rooms around the world.

http://www.abelardomorell.net/index.html (see the film/media section)

Bruce Watson
9-Feb-2009, 15:24
I recommend a non-photography video called "Rivers and Tides", about the Scottish sculptor Andy Goldsworthy.

It is an interesting document on the creative process that he uses, and I think that many landscape photographers could find value in it. There is a small photography connection in the video, but it is mostly useful as a method for an artist to begin to develop the inner eye that helps define an artist as more than an imitator of other artistic influences.

Highly recommended.

---Michael

Second on the Goldsworthy. He is amazing and inspiring, and the vids are really well done too. Something there for any artist.

Merg Ross
9-Feb-2009, 19:35
I'd definitely take a look at Art Wright's Brett Weston DVD. I got mine off ebay from him directly.

John, you will not find a DVD much more inspirational than this one, in my opinion. Although much of the film shows Brett with his 6x6 Rollei, he is also shown with the 8x10. As an added feature, I appear in the film photographing at Point Lobos with my trusty Calumet. And if all of that is not enough enticement, the film includes 892 of Brett's photographs from the Brett Weston Archive.

I like the sound of your project, good for you!

www.brettwestonphotographer.com

Robert Oliver
9-Feb-2009, 19:51
my students loved this. I can't remember if Jerry Uelsmann uses large format or not. but his work is amazing... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zN3Zbs1dueE

PenGun
9-Feb-2009, 19:54
Second on the Goldsworthy. He is amazing and inspiring, and the vids are really well done too. Something there for any artist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TWBSMc47bw

Indeed!

Robert Oliver
9-Feb-2009, 20:42
short but sweet.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a64iG-A-cRI

Robert Oliver
9-Feb-2009, 20:43
Not large format,,, but my students were enthralled with the documentary about James Natchwey "War photographer"....

Jim Fitzgerald
9-Feb-2009, 21:00
John, you will not find a DVD much more inspirational than this one, in my opinion. Although much of the film shows Brett with his 6x6 Rollei, he is also shown with the 8x10. As an added feature, I appear in the film photographing at Point Lobos with my trusty Calumet. And if all of that is not enough enticement, the film includes 892 of Brett's photographs from the Brett Weston Archive.

I like the sound of your project, good for you!

www.brettwestonphotographer.com

Merg, I agree with you 100%. I watch this DVD before I go out on a trip. The work and the images in the DVD are very inspiring for me. After that I visit your site and the Site of the late Gordon Chapple to really get me going!

Jim

randy larson
10-Feb-2009, 06:54
I love Christopher Burkett's 'The Tapestry of Creation' DVD. Inspirational and shows his working methods and some spectacular images. I believe this can still be purchased on his website.
Randy

Merg Ross
10-Feb-2009, 23:03
Merg, I agree with you 100%. I watch this DVD before I go out on a trip. The work and the images in the DVD are very inspiring for me. After that I visit your site and the Site of the late Gordon Chapple to really get me going!

Jim

Jim, what Art Wright was able to capture in his film, (Brett Weston), was the total dedication of an individual to his craft. Nothing, came between Brett and his photography! I was a witness. His dedication, complemented by the terrific work that he produced, is perhaps the source of your inspiration. It has always been mine.

You mention me in lofty company, I am humbled. The work of Gordon Chapple is wonderful, and will be appreciated for a very long time, as more people become familiar with his contribution to photography. He was among the talented that pursued their art, not fame nor fortune.

John Kasaian
11-Feb-2009, 19:03
Thanks Merg. That is the kind of dvd I'm looking for.