PDA

View Full Version : Manfrotto 229 (3039) / Rc0 QR Plate

aphexafx
7-Feb-2009, 23:16
Er, well, I've cocked the hammer on a Bogen/Manfrotto 229 (used to be 3039) three-way head to mount my big heavy 16+ lb. Cambo on a tripod for now and a camera stand later on. I have been using a much smaller ball head up until now, and it’s just not cutting it. In fact, this morning I accidentally unlocked the ball and very nearly lost my camera to the floor. It was scary and so now I’m buying this.

http://www.bogenimaging.us/Jahia/site/bius/pid/6780?kindOfProductCollectionRequest=productDetail&productCode=229&productDescription=3D%20SUPER-PRO%20HEAD&curBrandId=MAN&market=MKT1

I'm just worried about that smallish looking hexagonal QR plate. This thing is rated to handle 26 pounds, so I guess I'll have to take Manfrotto's word for it...but it just looks so small to me.

Does anyone have any experience with Manfrotto's six-sided "Rc0" QR system with a heavy monorail camera? And also I am curious as to whether you can mount them in any of the six possible directions?

Kirk Gittings
7-Feb-2009, 23:25
I used the hex plate for like 27 years on the 3047 head. Same plate right? They are very solid if screwed down really tight. And yes they can be clamped in every direction. I now use the RC4 plate on a 410 geared head, but I am only using a very lightweight Philips 4x5 now and DSLRs.

aphexafx
7-Feb-2009, 23:33
Thanks, Kirk - that's what I wanted to hear. :) I mean, they must be up to the task, but I thought I'd ask for some experience.

I love the geared heads, I want a 410 to replace the aging ball on my current tripod (Manfrotto 3205) - but I am determined to go extra heavy duty and prepare myself for any camera I might use in the future - and another concern is that I have nearly two feet of rail (I'm looking for an extended bellows) which means more torque on the head. I love the 410 but I just don't think its heavy enough, and I cannot justify the big huge 400...

But, what a head: http://www.bogenimaging.us/Jahia/site/bius/pid/6780?kindOfProductCollectionRequest=productDetail&productCode=400&productDescription=GEARED%20HEAD&curBrandId=MAN&market=MKT1

john borrelli
8-Feb-2009, 09:25
I have used other bogen pan and tilt heads but not this model.

The less expensive model I used had some plastic parts in the locking mechanism of the quick release. You might want to take a look at all the parts of the head when it arrives a heavy monorail can be demanding.

If you tend to point the camera up or down, you'll need to be careful as this will put pressure on the head and plate and mounting screw. You might want to practice a little with doing this, some heads will shift the camera more than others while locking the head's vertical tilt down.

The other issue I had with mine was that the camera would loosen on the quick release but in subtle small increments so that the camera was no longer straight or maybe level. For example, putting in the film holder moves the camera a little you take the picture and don't realize until after you have exposed the film.

I am fortunate to own a 4x5 Arca Swiss and an Arca Swiss ball head. The strength of this system, there are shortcomings too, is that there really is no locking screw involved. The strength of the connection between the camera and head all comes down to that screw.

I think the wiggle problem is one of the reasons why Kirk mentioned to lock the camera down adequately.

One other thing to be aware of if you need to ship the tripod head you might want to unscrew the handles from the head if possible. They look very solid but the handles I had would bend if there was any weight put on them.

One nice thing about Bogen/Manfrotto is that you can acquire a lot of spare parts for little money, extra screws, washers, what have you. A lot harder to do with A-S.

Let us know what you think of the head, all the best, John

Anthony Lewis
8-Feb-2009, 11:11
I've been using one of those heads for a few years with a Toho camera. Works very well and would take a heavier camera. The hex plate is fine. The only hassle - small one - I have with it, is the handles protrude out a bit. Great for operating the camera but can be a small hassle for transporting. If I'm bushwalking then every branch, etc seems to get caught in those handles. I've thought of putting a small canvas bag over the head, which should help - and one day I will. Good solid tripod head though!

seepaert
8-Feb-2009, 11:56
I have the 029 (just an older version, but not very different) reserved for my digital and my 6x7 filmsystems. The hexagonal plate is strong enough, but gives somewhat less flexibility, compared to the original cambo ball head and the original and very heavy cambo geared head, which came to pass my way very affordable. They take a grip around the square rail at any chosen place.

Be very carefull not to unscrew the plate accidentally while making movements with your camera. In fact there is a version of the plate with an extra tightening ring on it, which is safer for this kind of use. On the Manfrotto site it is labeled "030-14 normal", and the simpler single screw type is not shown at all. But I have seen them and all cheaper manfrotto-clones are of this type. I would advice not to buy any other than original Manfrotto plates, they're not that expensive.

Allthough there is an arrow on the downside, I don't think it is important at all. I never watch it and never had any problems.

aphexafx
9-Feb-2009, 19:30
john, thanks all good advice. This thing is supposed to handle 26 pounds and since this is for tabletop style work I will not be pointing up and rarely pointing down, so I am hoping it will handle my Cambo (Master PC) well. My rail mount is drilled for the retaining pin on the QR plate so as to prevent twist which will loosen the main screw. I will use the 3/8" mounting screw, of course.

thanks for the report, Anthony! After using this thing on a smaller ball head for so long I am actually going to be very grateful for the handles!!!

seepaert, those huge Cambo heads scare the hell out of me. ;) They are really cool but a bit expensive and I want something more versatile for this and other cameras. I agree with you about genuine Manfrotto plates.

I was PM'd and introduced to some oversized 4" x 4" plates that work with the hex QR system this head features. I'm excited because these will probably greatly reduce wobble when I have the full rail put together, not to mention the added security.

PenGun
9-Feb-2009, 20:44
It will happily point straight up or straight down, you'll have to flip the camera. It will drop it on it's side too no problem. Holds my Chamonix 45N like it is a toy.

Very nice head but not light.

aphexafx
14-Feb-2009, 23:37
Well I've had two days to work with this head (Manfrotto 229) and I couldn't be happier. Also new to me is a huge 3251 tripod, and all you have to do is look at the image below to see just how far I've moved up in the world this weekend! (I even got a nice Bogen tripod carry bag for free - funny, I can't imagine wanting to carry this thing anywhere really...)

First of all, the hex plate is much larger than I thought, and accordingly, so is the head itself. The plates themselves are 2.5" flat to flat and 3" point to point.

Second of all, nothing on this head is plastic except for the levels and the handle bodies - which are very heavy and probably solid Nylon. The handle bodies are covered in a soft grip material and the arms are metal (aluminum or stainless, the weight of the handles makes it hard to tell) and do not flex. This thing is built like a tank.

Third, the joints have variable tension that is very easy to use. In other words, loosening the handles (twisting) more or less lets you vary the resistance - wasn't expecting that based on an older (cheap) video tripod from some part of my life a long time ago. It is very nice.

Lastly, this thing is smoooooth. At extreme angles I sometimes need to assist by pulling the rather heavy camera simply due to the short length of the handles, but this is way outside of normal use and is just fine - I wouldn't want longer handles. They are perfect how they are I should think, and they do not get in the way, especially with such a large camera.

The 3251 is equally huge and equally built like a tank. Together they hold my Cambo rock solid. Good times.

Thanks again for all of the info, etc. I am very happy to have this head for studio work. You definitely would not want to carry this thing around on your shoulder for very long.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3195/3280717702_f111cce997_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3594/3280717226_02fb07c8f7_o.jpg