PDA

View Full Version : Agfa quick tests

Allen in Montreal
4-Feb-2009, 19:42
As my Linotype is still not up and running, a friend lent me an Agfa T 1200 to scan a few 8x10 negs. I downloaded the fotolook app from Agfa, not overwhelmed! These were just quick test scans, does anyone still use the T 1200? Is there a better way to get some extra out of this scanner than fotolook without going to Silverfast?

The neg scans seemed to prefer an underexposed neg, the high lights blew out quickly.
The print scans were better overall.
(the glass is dirty on the inside, so there is a fair bit of dust which I have not spotted yet, nor have I taken it apart for a good cleaning at this point).

First image is a neg scan of an 8x10
Note the blown out skin tones.

Second is a contact print on Azo grade 3.
The skin tones hold better, but the nose still blows out, the print is close to perfect.

Third is an underexposed 5x7 frame which shows pretty good detail given the underexposed neg.

Tyler Boley
4-Feb-2009, 20:52
Fotolook's controls for neg scans are very unintuitive. I'd scan them as transparencies and then invert and edit in Photoshop. You may have some work to do but at least you can make sure there is no clipping. Your other economic option is Vuescan, I had a T2500 for years, and I think it was supported.
Tyler
http://www.custom-digital.com/