PDA

View Full Version : I could use some advice

Jehu
2-Feb-2009, 15:58
I've been wanting a Schneider Super Angulon 90mm lens. Being a budget minded hobbyist, I don't get many opportunities at one. I have a chance to buy a rather complete outfit consisting of a Toyo 45CX view camera with the f8 SSA lens for $350. If I'm not mistaken, that's not a bad price for the lens by itself.

My plan is to buy the outfit, swap the lenses and sell the Toyo with my Graphex Optimar 90mm.

Is my plan flawed? How much should I ask for the Toyo?

Gordon Moat
2-Feb-2009, 16:48
Go to KEH.com (http://www.keh.com) and check the current prices they show. Consider that they offer the ability to return a lens in most cases, in the event you find a problem. Then compare to prices and condition you might pay elsewhere.

There are many good 90mm lenses on the market. A Schneider Super Angulon is just one of the choices you might make. The TOYO is another thing entirely, though I think the market for anything photographic is not big at the moment.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography (http://www.gordonmoat.com)

Louie Powell
2-Feb-2009, 19:49
Do you have an opportunity to actually fondle the camera/lens before committing to a purchase?

The price is pretty good. I paid $350 for the Calumet version of the SSA 90/f8 on the auction site about four years ago.

BradS
2-Feb-2009, 22:42
My plan is to buy the outfit, swap the lenses and sell the Toyo with my Graphex Optimar 90mm.

Is my plan flawed? How much should I ask for the Toyo?

It's not a bad plan but...
1) shipping might kill it.
2) why throw in the Optimar? I don't think any body would give you a penny more for the toyo with this lens...that is, you'd probably get the same $$ selling the toyo by itself as you would with the 90mm Optimar.

You might get $100 ~ $150 for the Toyo .

MAURICO
3-Feb-2009, 01:30
i have a lens i want to sell i know nothing about its got written (gundlach-manhatten optical. rochester n.y. 5 1/2 in. front.)on the top part. and then (back 5 1/2 in.) on bottom part.all the words are in the brass and there are two pieces of steel or ali screw onto the brass. can any one tell me what it may be too? sorry i have never entered a chat room in my life. hope this is not rude of me.

Jehu
3-Feb-2009, 08:37
Maurico,
It's my thread and I don't mind. Welcome to the forum. (a chat room is something different)

I hope you sell your lens. It sounds like a 140mm to me.

Jehu
3-Feb-2009, 08:40
It's not a bad plan but...
1) shipping might kill it.
2) why throw in the Optimar? I don't think any body would give you a penny more for the toyo with this lens...that is, you'd probably get the same $$ selling the toyo by itself as you would with the 90mm Optimar.

You might get $100 ~ $150 for the Toyo .

Thanks for the advice. The way I look at it, I'm getting the lens for $350 minus whatever I can get for the rest of the outfit. I would include my Optimar because I would no longer have any use for it and I may as well make the Toyo a complete camera for a beginner.

I'll also be getting a pelican case, several backs, changing tent and a bunch of other stuff.

All said, I think I'll go ahead with the deal.

Thanks for the help guys.

BradS
3-Feb-2009, 22:56
Thanks for the advice. The way I look at it, I'm getting the lens for $350 minus whatever I can get for the rest of the outfit. I would include my Optimar because I would no longer have any use for it and I may as well make the Toyo a complete camera for a beginner.

I'll also be getting a pelican case, several backs, changing tent and a bunch of other stuff.

All said, I think I'll go ahead with the deal.

Thanks for the help guys.

geez...sounds like a really good deal. It is very generous of you to "throw in" the old lens. Good luck.