PDA

View Full Version : Whatever happened to ...

Paul O
1-Feb-2009, 02:11
The Layton designed camera? Did this actually materialise? If so anyone using one? Just curious!

Scott Knowles
1-Feb-2009, 06:32
Last I heard from John was last spring when he anticipated finishing a production run of 10 cameras shortly after Labor Day. That passed and he hasn't responded to my e-mails since then. My understanding is that the camera is, as maybe has been for the last one-plus year, near completion, but Murphy's law keep insisting on its right to interfer. At this point, I don't know much beyond that. He still has my deposit for one whenever it's produced. I hope friends can provide more information and perhaps convince him to produce those so we can all share his design work.

Phil
1-Feb-2009, 07:11
John attended a gathering of photographers in New Hampshire last spring and had his L-45A camera there for display. To my eye, it was excellent quality throughout - well thought out, well designed, and superb fit and finish. IIRC, he still had a few modifications/improvements he was working on. This is one sweet camera...

Juergen Sattler
2-Feb-2009, 11:10
I agree, it's a sweet design, but will he ever bring it to market? This painful story has been going on for years now! What is taking him so long?

Scott Knowles
2-Feb-2009, 17:53
I agree, it's a sweet design, but will he ever bring it to market? This painful story has been going on for years now! What is taking him so long?

Only John can answer that and I can only go by his e-mails over the years, but I know he chose to use a local engineering/machining company that didn't meet the deadlines. Last year he moved the work to new company (engineer from first starting business) which suffered a fire and destroyed much of the shop/plant. I know, as Phil said, John keeps tinkering with the design which necessitates updating the CAD/CAM files and make new parts. And we can't take away that he does have a family, life and work.

Personally, I'd love to get and use one, and I'm sure some will be produced. I've got a couple of lens waiting for it (won't fit my Horseman HD). And he does have my deposit along with a promised discount. Hey, we can all hope. I sure am.

Scott Knowles
8-Feb-2009, 15:33
I got to thinking, and yes I know a dangerous thing especially with a camera in my hands, but does anyone know if John Layton is a member here or knows him enough to prompt an update to his Website about the camera? I know he is a member of Photo.net and posts responses now and then. But a little information on the camera goes a long way.

Sal Santamaura
15-Aug-2009, 08:44
Since John hadn't answered my email inquiry a few months ago either, I took advantage of an opportunity to ask about the L-45A in a thread at the photo.net Medium Format Forum yesterday. Read the second paragraph of John's August 14, 2009 post in the below link:

http://photo.net/medium-format-photography-forum/00UCCr

brian mcweeney
15-Aug-2009, 10:41
Wow, this brings back memories. I think I saw this camera at Photo Expo Plus in NYC some 10 years ago. John himself demonstrated the camera for me. It was very intriguing. All metal I think? I would love to see a photo of it.

Sal Santamaura
15-Aug-2009, 12:28
...I would love to see a photo of it.http://www.laytoncamera.com/

brian mcweeney
15-Aug-2009, 12:47
Thanks! I'll use that Google thing next time. ;)