PDA

View Full Version : Contrast on ClassicPan 400 iflm

David Flockhart
20-Jun-2001, 00:22
I've just received some Hungarian sheet film (Forte I think). The film is NP 27 (ISO 400) and is marketed under the name Classis-Pan 400.

The problem is that I cannot get anywhere near printable contrast. The negs and prints look murky as hell. I am using PMK Pyro and have extended the development to as much as N+2 without great success. I have rated the film with generous exposure from 200 to 320.

The Pyro isn;t the problem as I developed some Ilford HP4 Plus at the same time and it came out beautifully. I want to use this film for 8X20 contacts and am using the same film in 5X7 to work out these problems.

Thanks in advance for your ideas.

David

pat krentz
20-Jun-2001, 02:44
Sounds like you might have some serious heat fogging. Since the FP4 works well, get rid of the garbage, stick with what works. Pat

Jim Galli
20-Jun-2001, 10:36
The next logical thing to try is to lessen exposure and fiddle with the pyro ie. if you're mixing the standard 5/10/500 try 10/20/400 and knock the heck out of the film to see what it'll do. Most of the ABC+ type formulas have almost the same ingredients but add/subtract to give more kick which you can do by fiddling a little bit with what you've got. Good luck. Post results. For me it's best to start with great big changes so I can see a definite change and then throttle back.

Joseph Dickerson
20-Jun-2001, 21:41
David,

This won?t solve your problem but fyi I think the film you have is Orwo. The NP 27 designation indicated their 400 speed film when I used to buy it from Freestyle a few years ago.

If it is indeed Orwo the post about sticking with Ilford Fp4 is probably good advice. We used Orwo in a photo program where I teach but the lack of consistant speed and uneven imulsion coating made it a poor choice. We switched our students to Arista and have never regreted it. Ilford quality at very reasonable prices make Arista a good choice if you are on a bu

David Flockhart
21-Jun-2001, 01:00
Thanks for your input. It appears I have bought a pig in a polk. Before buying the film I checked with a few people who had used it and were happy with it. I bought the 8X20 camera from the guy who owns Lotus View Camera and he also recommended it. They are to be in touch with the factory (B&G) so we'll see what happens. Being in Australia doesn't help make this a logistical dream.

Cheers, David