PDA

View Full Version : LF Workshop in Texas ?

Scott Teven
27-Jan-2009, 22:06
I am fairly new to LF and owner of a new LF 4x5 monorail camera. I am looking for a LF Workshop in Texas. Or, perhaps a neably state where Southwest Airlines flys (ie. New Mexico, Arizona). My goal is learn camera movements and apply it to landscape and architectural photography.

venchka
28-Jan-2009, 07:42
Welcome! A bunch of film folks were lout last Saturday in Hermann Park and downtown. I had one of my 4x5 cameras with me. I could use help with camera movements too. I don't seem to be doing it right.

Houston is pretty much 100% digital. There are a few of us around who are fighting the good fight. Perhaps you can join us the next time we go out to waste some film.

Gem Singer
28-Jan-2009, 08:27
For an actual workshop, you might need to travel to New Mexico, California, Oregon, Arizona, etc. They usually are presented over a long weekend. Sometimes, as long as a week.

Look at the ads in View Camera magazine. Search on Google.

I haven't seen a LF workshop in Texas for at least ten years.

Perhaps you can find a one-on-one mentor in Houston.

venchka
28-Jan-2009, 09:07
I would volunteer, but who would teach me????????????????????

bigdog
28-Jan-2009, 09:23
I haven't seen a LF workshop in Texas for at least ten years.

Maybe it's time for one. I know of some individuals (not me) that would be good instructors. If there was enough interest, I would try and "produce" a workshop. :)

Valerie
28-Jan-2009, 09:38
I'd be up for a LF workshop in the Houston area as well (taking one, not teaching one!)

Gem Singer
28-Jan-2009, 09:56
I know several photogs that would be interested in attending a well presented LF workshop here in Texas, if they could travel to it by car. It's become too much of a hassle to bring LF camera gear to a distant workshop, via commercial airlines, these days.

However, the workshop would need to be limited to large format film cameras. No digicams or medium format cameras. An emphasis on focusing, perspective control, lighting, making prints, etc.

Also, if there was to be an extensive charge for the workshop, the presenter would need to be a well known master LF photog, on the same level as John Sexton, Alan Ross, Ray McSavany, etc. Then, it would be worth the cost.

Texas has a large population of LF photogs, many camera clubs and photography courses at both the university level, and the community college level. Houston devotes one week, every two years, just to the art of photography. Dallas has well known photo galleries. Photography is very much alive here.

"Seek, and ye shall find."

venchka
28-Jan-2009, 10:56
I'm easy. I don't want much.

I would be excited if one kind soul would spend a few minutes with me and my camera demonstrating front movements for DOF control.

Will trade pizza & beer for camera instructions.

Gem Singer
28-Jan-2009, 11:50
Wayne,

For some reason, the guys have been reluctant to travel to East Texas. If you want to join our "old geezer's Sat. morning camera club", you'll need to make the trip West to Dallas.

Since the weather has not been comfortable for outdoor photography lately, this Sat. AM, we are planning on attending Don Puckett's camera show (flea market) at the convention center in nearby Grapevine, TX. We'll probably meet for breakfast first. (don't shop for photo stuff on an empty stomach).

Open to the public. Not sure there is any LF equipment for sale there. Lots of darkroom stuff. Anyone is welcome to meet us there.

venchka
28-Jan-2009, 12:02
Eugene,

Thanks for the invitation. My weekends are booked for awhile. Maybe I can talk Y'all into venturing an hour or so east of Big D. Maybe meet you in Grand Saline or somewhere else I dig up.

bspeed
28-Jan-2009, 12:22
I would like to shoot the cypress trees in the swamps :)

Gem Singer
28-Jan-2009, 12:23
Wayne, I've suggested a short trip East to the guys, but so far, no takers.

We did go on a scouting trip to Muenster, TX a few weeks ago. Brian met us there.

Weather was cold and windy that day, however we did manage to find a few interesting scenes to photograph. Planning on returning under better conditions.

venchka
28-Jan-2009, 12:29
Grand Saline is no farther than Muenster.

I need to find out where the cypress trees are as well. My feeling is that they are along Big Cypress Bayou (DUH!) or around Caddo Lake.

clay harmon
28-Jan-2009, 12:50
I would be willing to be help organize a meetup some weekend in the Houston area where we can show people the basics - film loading, development options, camera movements, composition, exposure etc. I have enough spare cameraflesh to allow even a few non-owners the chance to try it out. I met Wayne last weekend, and it sounds like all we would need to do is pick a time and place and make it happen.

wclavey
28-Jan-2009, 16:25
Absolutely count me in! All Wayne & I do is trade bad habits back & forth... we could use some real guidance. And I have a "real" 4x5 and a borg Crown Graphic and lens that I could bring along to give a non-LF owner something to work with at a workshop.

And while I could not do it in the next few week, I could probably convince my wife that we need to make a trip to Dallas... but it would be much better if we could do something here in Houston, or even in Austin.

Darren H
28-Jan-2009, 18:31
We should do some sort of Texas thing. I am over in Cowtown and there are a couple of us who still try to get out with LF on occasion

And as an aside I plan the outings for the Fort Worth Camera Club. 180 members (mostly digital) but we do good outings. We are going to Big Bend NP April 14-19, 2009. I'll have my 4x5 with me and there might be one or two others along with them too (and about 20 who just do digital). You are always welcome to join us out there and there would be no workshop fee. We have fun. Check us out at....

http://fortworthcameraclub.com/blog/

Scott Teven
28-Jan-2009, 20:16
Count me in for a Houston LF gathering! Hey, just the show & tell will be a learning experience. I'm doing some other research myself on available LF workshops and will report back when I have more info.

Paul Droluk
29-Jan-2009, 06:43
I'm up for a Houston (or close) gathering as well, having recently returned to Houston from China, where I've been living for the last 6 years.

I have a few LF, panoramic, and technical 6x9 cameras I could bring along for show & tell... and if senility hasn't fully set in yet, I might even be able to remember a few things I learned when I attended Brooks Institute.

venchka
29-Jan-2009, 07:04
That is very kind of you. Too bad your Phillips 8x10 won't be in attendance.

Since you brought it up, pick a weekend and an alternate that are convenient for you and we can get the word out. The old farmstead in Kleb Woods Park might work as a location. There is ample parking, several buildings and old farm equipment for subjects and very photographer friendly. http://www.pct3.hctx.net/parks/klebwoodsnaturepres.aspx

On the other hand, I've been there about 3 times. I would be open to new locations.

Wes Clavey and I have 4x5 field and press cameras and enough tripods to hold them up. There should be enough hardware to go around.

Cheers!

Wayne

I would be willing to be help organize a meetup some weekend in the Houston area where we can show people the basics - film loading, development options, camera movements, composition, exposure etc. I have enough spare cameraflesh to allow even a few non-owners the chance to try it out. I met Wayne last weekend, and it sounds like all we would need to do is pick a time and place and make it happen.

clay harmon
29-Jan-2009, 07:49
This sounds perfect. I live in the Woodlands, so it is pretty close. Let's get a count for the following possible dates (assuming Saturday is the best):

Feb 21
Mar 7
Mar 14

Sooner is probably better than later because we will have cooler weather and a chance for some decent skies (photographically speaking).

Joe Forks
29-Jan-2009, 07:52
What we need is all manner of workshops from beginner, intermediate, and advanced, darkroom, printing, and alternative process. We should organize state wide and hold meetings at alternating locations throughout the state.

I would love to attend some of the workshops coming in NH or Montana but it's going to be cost prohibitive at this point. I think if we want this bad enough we can make it happen right here in Texas.

venchka
29-Jan-2009, 07:58
Clay,

Feb 21 and Mar 7 work for me.

This sounds perfect. I live in the Woodlands, so it is pretty close. Let's get a count for the following possible dates (assuming Saturday is the best):

Feb 21
Mar 7
Mar 14

Sooner is probably better than later because we will have cooler weather and a chance for some decent skies (photographically speaking).

wclavey
29-Jan-2009, 09:49
I am 99% certain I can make Feb 21 & Mar 7 work. I have some nagging memory of a conflict in mid-March but I can confirm for sure this evening.

bigdog
29-Jan-2009, 14:08
Clay Harmon is just the type person I had in mind. He won't need my help "Producing", however, he's perfectly capable. Anyone in the Houston area, or willing to drive to Houston, should take advantage of this. :)

bspeed
29-Jan-2009, 14:27
I am 99% certain I can make Feb 21 & Mar 7 work. I have some nagging memory of a conflict in mid-March but I can confirm for sure this evening.

Ah, yea, probably your wedding anniversary....... :eek:

wclavey
29-Jan-2009, 14:58
Ah, yea, probably your wedding anniversary....... :eek:

Hah... I have that one down, after 31 years... let's see... it's July 9th... no, August 5th... nope... ahhh... hmmm :o

Paul Droluk
29-Jan-2009, 21:55
At the moment, any of the mentioned dates should work for me. I live in Spring, adjacent to The Woodlands, so Kleb Woods Park would be convenient... and I've never been there before.

I've got a Toyo 45AII and a Carbon Infinity (with stiff rise/fall on the rear standard), but only one tripod until my personal goods arrive from China. Oh, and far too many lenses.

If there would be an interest, I could also bring along some of our Fotoman cameras, but only the 6x9 has movements, and only rise & fall at that.

clay harmon
30-Jan-2009, 04:59
Let's just pick Feb 21st if no one has any major objections. It has the advantage of being only three weeks away.

Paul, I had no idea you lived in Houston. By all means bring the Fotoman, I think that would be interesting to for people to see what you can do with just rise and fall.

Paul Droluk
30-Jan-2009, 07:41
The 21st works for me. I'll be happy to bring along a Fotoman or two.

I've only recently returned to the Houston area, having lived here previously for almost 20 years.

Scott Teven
30-Jan-2009, 09:36
Wow! Amazing what my little post has prompted! The dates discussed (Feb 21 & Mar 7) work for me too.

Paul - Last year I inquired about the release of the Dmax so I would be interested in seeing that and other Fotoman cameras. After further reseach I purchased a used Cambo LF 4x5 monorail camera & lenses in order to learn movements. The portability of a tech camera is still attractive.

Paul Droluk
30-Jan-2009, 11:34
Scott, I'm sorry to report that the Dmax effort has deteriorated to the point where its cancellation is imminent. After a last ditch appeal for 10 advanced orders, we only garnered 4 bona-fide commitments and a handful of maybes.

It's not simply the camera itself... if we were to produce the Dmax, we would have to manufacture a large inventory of Cone Assemblies and allied components, in order to drive production costs down to the required level, and properly support the camera.

Closest we currently come to a Dmax, is our 69S camera, which I will be bringing to the upcoming gathering.

Valerie
30-Jan-2009, 12:42
I'm pretty sure me and my lil' 8x10 can be there Feb.21.

Lee Crump
31-Jan-2009, 15:01
I'd like to make an event like this but I'll be in Salado TX. Feb. 21st. I'll keep my eye out for further events.

Valerie
2-Feb-2009, 17:41
Has a time been set yet? Trying to juggle my schedule for that day......

clay harmon
2-Feb-2009, 19:23
Valerie, what time works best for you? My original thought was starting early in the day to get some 'long' light, but I am pretty flexible. What times are best for all the other potential attendees?

Valerie
2-Feb-2009, 19:45
Early is good for me.........

wclavey
2-Feb-2009, 20:57
I like early, too, but I'm willing to set aside whatever part of the day people can be available...

I just spoke to my son, and I can add his Crown Graphic to the list of available cameras, too, in case there are people who want to attend and learn but do not have a camera... that brings the number I can provide to 3: the Shen Hao and 2 Crowns, all with tripods, and lenses, of course. The Crowns aren't "real" 4x5s but they will give people a sense for it...

Paul Droluk
2-Feb-2009, 21:39
I'm up for early as well, but anytime that day would be fine.

And if someone has an extra tripod (or 2, or 3, or 4), I have 3 Toyo 45CX's that I could bring along, each with a different focal length lens. I also have an angle viewer to mate to one. So if we can gather some additional tripods, I can bring a total of (5) 4x5's.

Robert Fisher
2-Feb-2009, 21:59
Paul, I am looking forward to meeting you (and others).

Especially your new 69S.

May I bring some 120 and shoot a roll or two??

clay harmon
3-Feb-2009, 05:15
I can bring two tripods and of course, some cameras and lenses. I will bring some brass soft focus lenses too.

venchka
3-Feb-2009, 05:36
I'm assuming everyone agrees on Feb. 21?

Theoretically, the park opens at 7:00am. I can be there at 7:00am or anytime after that.

I'll bring all 3 tripods, 2 4x5 cameras and ... heck, it's all packed and ready. I'll bring all my gear. Perhaps I'll use one of my wee cameras to record the proceedings.

Is everyone claer on where the park is and which part of the park we wish to use? Do not enter from FM 2920. That is the wilderness part of the park and is usually wet and always buggy. The section with the barn, house, farm equipment and Nature Center is south on Mueschke from FM 2920 or north from US 290 (NW Freeway) and west on a small street to the parking lot. There is a sign for the Kleb Woods Park on Mueschke about 1/4 mile south of FM 2920. There is a large covered horse arena on the corner. The parking lot is about 1/4 mile on the left. The buildings are another 100-200 yards down a well maintained, wide dirt path.

See Y'all on the 21st, right?

venchka
3-Feb-2009, 05:37
Shall we mention this at APUG as well?

Paul Droluk
3-Feb-2009, 06:39
Paul, I am looking forward to meeting you (and others).

Especially your new 69S.

May I bring some 120 and shoot a roll or two??

Hi Robert, please feel free to run a couple/few rolls through the 69S. I'll likely bring along a 69H, as well, if you want to try some hand held film burning.

wclavey
3-Feb-2009, 21:54
After seeing the list of "extra" 4x5s people can bring, there's no need for the press cameras I was going to bring - - we can give people the full 4x5 experience with one of the the many other real cameras. I'll still throw the extra tripods in the trunk, though.

venchka
4-Feb-2009, 06:59
Hey, Speed Graphics are real cameras. ;) :cool:

wclavey
5-Feb-2009, 13:05
There is a nature center at Kleb Woods (as Wayne has described) and it includes a large classroom space. I called the park manager and asked if the space was available to rent, thinking that we might want something like that available to us. It is not for rent, but when I explained that we are simply a confederation of hobbyists who do photography using historic film processes and, in many cases, antique cameras, and that this was to be an instructional worksession. He felt that was an activity consistent with their historic and educational mission and would be happy to make the space available to us on a Saturday, if we want to arrange it formally with him (date, time, contact name, rules, etc.). I told him I would bring it up with the group and one of us would be back in touch.

So think about whether we might want the use of an indoor space for a while and let me know in a few days and I can contact him (or someone else can... if you want...).

If we decided to do this I thought I would donate a few matted pictures to them from some of my many visits up there.

venchka
5-Feb-2009, 13:08
Capital Plan Mr. Clavey!

I volunteer to be the Group Relic!

clay harmon
5-Feb-2009, 13:40
That is a great idea. Having a spot for people to meet and maybe even spread out some prints is a fantastic idea.

venchka
5-Feb-2009, 13:44
Prints? Y'all always expect prints. I thought making negatives is all that was required.

Grinning.

"Someday my Prints will come."

While we have a motion on the table for the buidling, do we also want to mention this convocation on APUG? Or are we all APUG folks as well?

wclavey
5-Feb-2009, 14:08
Could we get an RSVP list going? One of the questions he asked was "how many..." and I said 10-15... but I don't want to be caught off guard if there are more... I'm not looking for commitments, just a good guestimate.

venchka
5-Feb-2009, 14:08
RSVP:

1. Me, Wayne Torry

wclavey
5-Feb-2009, 14:16
OK, here is the list. I assume I can come back and edit it to keep it up-to-date. Please indicate if you have an LF camera, need and LF camera, or have extra LF cameras, so we can figure out what to bring. Thanks.

Houston Area Large Format Workshop
February 21, ???? until ????

Wayne Torry (has 2 4x5 cameras & tripods)
Wes Clavey (has 3 4x5 cameras & tripods)
Clay Harmon
Robert Fisher
Paul Droluk (has 4-6 4x5 cameras, 1 tripod)
Scott Teven
Valerie (has 8x10)

I took names from the posts... please let me know if it is not right and I will update. Thanks.

Paul Droluk
5-Feb-2009, 14:25
RSVP: Paul Droluk

I have between 4 and 6 cameras, but only one tripod.

Valerie
5-Feb-2009, 16:06
I have an 8x10 (with 8x10 and 4x5 backs for it). Yes, do mention on apug!

clay harmon
5-Feb-2009, 16:12
I will bring two tripods and a 10x12, 7x17, and whole plate view camera. The 7x17 and 10x12 are interchangeable backs on the same camera. I will also bring some cool old lenses and holders and film for some mug shots. I am preparing a 2 hour introductory lecture to the Schleimpflug principle as well as a little lab setup so I can demonstrate the effects of diffraction using an argon laser and a small stray dog from the pound.

Just kidding about that last bit.

Jeremy Moore
5-Feb-2009, 16:45
Just kidding about that last bit.

So the dog will just be from someone's backyard?

Valerie
5-Feb-2009, 17:41
I've got plenty of stray dogs, and stray kids! Both will model for food!

wclavey
5-Feb-2009, 18:05
February 21, ???? until ????

Wayne Torry (2 4x5 cameras & 2 tripods)
Wes Clavey (3 4x5 cameras & 3 tripods)
Clay Harmon (2 cameras, 3 formats, 2 tripods)
Robert Fisher
Paul Droluk (4-6 4x5 cameras, 1 tripod)
Scott Teven
Valerie (1 8x10)

We wil need to pick a time, at least, a time when we would want to use the room.

Scott Teven
5-Feb-2009, 22:02
Scott Teven (4x5, 2 tripods, Xenon Laser Gun)
I'm in, and may invite a friend.

Oh goodie, I've been trying to apply the Schleimpflug principle after reading about it in my new book on "Using the View Camera" by Steve Simmons.

Mucho Gracias to Mr. Clavey for negotiating the covered building which could be very handy in case of rain. After all, February is Rodeo month.

venchka
6-Feb-2009, 06:48
I probably live closest. Vote for a time & I'll get there at that time.

Did that make sense?

Wayne
Dazed & Confused by Argon gas & Lasers. Armed with more bad prints than y'all can stand to look at.

bigdog
6-Feb-2009, 07:36
I would really love to attend this. But, of course, I have another engagement on the 21st that will put me about 600 miles from Houston!

Let us know how this all turns out and let's see if a similar event in the DFW area is next. :)

venchka
6-Feb-2009, 07:40
Will do David. Maybe we can get a digital person to document the proceedings. I'll mention this to Cornbread.

With luck, Y'all DFW folks will schedule a similar event when I am at home and I can possibly attend.

wclavey
6-Feb-2009, 07:44
I probably live closest. Vote for a time & I'll get there at that time.

Did that make sense?

Wayne
Dazed & Confused by Argon gas & Lasers. Armed with more bad prints than y'all can stand to look at.

Wayne, I have the name & number of the person we need to talk to... he knows what I have in mind and what we need so it's really no problem to do it over the phone. All I need to do is confirm a date and a rough number of people. Of course, if you are looking for another reason to go there and shoot, we can do that, and talk to him too!.

venchka
6-Feb-2009, 08:10
If we can wait a week or 2 for a time and a count, no worries. If they want to know soon, tell them 9am and a dozen folks minimum. I can be there at 9am.

If the weather is nice and I don't get a better offer, I'll drive over there this weekend and talk to anyone I find at the Nature Center.

wclavey
6-Feb-2009, 08:38
If you do, ask for Fred Collins (Park Manager) or Kendra Kocab - - they are the ones who know what we want to do. And remember: educational instruction and historic processes and equipment.

venchka
6-Feb-2009, 08:40
If you do, ask for Fred Collins (Park Manager) or Kendra Kocab - - they are the ones who know what we want to do. And remember: educational instruction and historic processes and equipment.

Right. Mums the word on fumbling, stumbling, bumbling, beer & BBQ later.

I was really hoping that I would have an opportunity to go somewhere else. ;) I'll save Kleb Woods for the Workshop on the 21st.

Scott Teven
6-Feb-2009, 10:04
Kleb Woods and 9am as a start time sounds OK with me.

Wayne - Thanks for you reply to my post "Testing a Used Camera and Lenses". I left a message to continue that thread.

Keefe Borden
6-Feb-2009, 10:18
I'm in. I have a tripod, lightmeter and a ballhead, but no large format camera. I look forward to meeting everyone on 21st Feb.
Best, Keefe.

venchka
6-Feb-2009, 10:50
I'm in. I have a tripod, lightmeter and a ballhead, but no large format camera. I look forward to meeting everyone on 21st Feb.
Best, Keefe.

If your head uses quick release plates & you have a spare, I reckon we can a camera on your tripod. If the head uses a 1/4" screw I know we can get a camera on your tripod.

wclavey
6-Feb-2009, 12:58
February 21, 9:00 AM until ????

Clay Harmon (2 cameras w/ 3 formats, 2 tripods)
Robert Fisher
Scott Teven (1 4x5, 2 tripods)
Valerie (1 8x10)
Keefe Borden (1 tripod)

Valerie
8-Feb-2009, 13:06
I have a neighbor who works for Channel 2. She said that they might do a special interest story on the LF workshop if we submit some kind of "press release". Is there any interest among this group in plugging LF and film in this way? I'd need to know something pretty quickly.

clay harmon
8-Feb-2009, 13:20
Found another tripod I can use. So three sets of sticks/three cameras for me.

February 21, 9:00 AM until ????

Clay Harmon (2 cameras w/ 3 formats, 2 tripods)
Robert Fisher
Valerie (1 8x10)
Keefe Borden (1 tripod)

venchka
9-Feb-2009, 07:39
I have a neighbor who works for Channel 2. She said that they might do a special interest story on the LF workshop if we submit some kind of "press release". Is there any interest among this group in plugging LF and film in this way? I'd need to know something pretty quickly.

Heck yes! Go for it! I'll volunteer our resident Rockstar Consultant, Wes Clavey, as spokesperson.

wclavey
9-Feb-2009, 13:05
It is true that I am a consultant. It is true that I am published (...really want to know something about non-linear multi-dimensional scaling and clustering algorithms? ...how about greedy approximations for assignment algorithms?). Think large scale mathematical models... I was probably the most boring scoutmaster our boys ever had...

But as a consultant, I get paid by you to use your pencil and your paper to tell you things you already know about yourself... So with that in mind, I would be happy to write something if someone wants to get together with me for 30 minutes or so and give me some ideas, angles, etc.

venchka
9-Feb-2009, 13:08
Funny. When I was a consultant, I was there to do that which the client had no idea how to do.

Somebody call Wes and tell him what we are up to. Then Wes can call Valerie. And Valerie can call....

Maybe there is no time.

Valerie
9-Feb-2009, 13:43
Ok guys... just send me something! ;-) Ideas from my neighbor were to mention "old fashion" methods in a digital age.... you know... that sort of thing. When I have something in hand, I'll just walk it down the road.

clay harmon
9-Feb-2009, 18:43
Here is a stab at a hook:

You can go down to the nearest big box store and buy a tiny little digital camera that is a marvel of modern electronic engineering. Why on earth would a bunch of people want to use cameras and lenses that are in some cases more than one hundred years old, are difficult to operate, and shoot images on hard-to -find film that you have to process yourself?

Well, there is a group of people who are using one of the most modern technologies in our modern world, namely, the internet, to organize a Saturday morning gathering to share ideas and techniques on how to use cameras that are closer to the pre-combustion engine era than to our modern age. And they will tell you this fascinating fact: While not necessarily easy, some of the photography techniques in common use a century ago can still produce images that cannot be rivaled by the output from even the most sophisticated digital wonder-camera.

venchka
10-Feb-2009, 06:18
Clay,

That works. I hope the TV folks understand.

Paul Droluk
10-Feb-2009, 07:13
Of course there's always the lead in... Old Farts using 600 Megapixel Cameras

wclavey
10-Feb-2009, 07:35
Of course there's always the lead in... Old Farts using 600 Megapixel Cameras

...with heavy tripods...

Valerie
10-Feb-2009, 16:19
Thanks... I'll send it along....

venchka
12-Feb-2009, 09:02
Bump. In case someone new missed this earlier.

sdivot
12-Feb-2009, 15:21
Count me in on this get together. I'm excited!
I'll bring my 4x5, 8x10, and maybe the monster 12x20 (But probably not. Did I mention it's a monster? And I have only shot two sheets of film with it so far.)
I wish I could bring my medium format camera to which I have adapted an old projection petzval lens. I bought the lens from Jim Galli over at APUG. It's my favorite setup, and with my health issues (lung transplant 10 months ago), it's easier to handle than the big 'uns.
Aw hell, I'm going to bring it anyway.....
I attended the alt process get together at Clay's home a couple of years ago, and it was great. I've been hoping for another one. This should come close to fitting the bill.
I'm currently working on an exhibition, so I'll bring along some of my alt prints to show if anyone is interested. They are gumover Pt/Pd, and Tri-color gums.
Did I mention I'm excited?
Steve Dowell
www.scdowellphoto.com

wclavey
13-Feb-2009, 15:14
Just a few updates...

I just spoke with the park manager and made final arrangements for February 21. We can start to gather as early as we like but will have access to the classroom at the nature center from 9:00 AM until noon. The building will be locked after that, so we will need to move the instruction outside at that point. We will have full access to the nature trails and the barn area for the entire day, although the buildings will be locked. There will be the manager and several staffers there working on projects throughout the morning if we have questions or needs.

February 21, 9:00 AM

Clay Harmon (3 formats, 3 tripods)
Robert Fisher
Valerie (1 8x10)
Keefe Borden (1 tripod)
Steve Dowell (8x10, 4x5)
Phil (no camera)

I told them that I expected 12-15 people although they did not really have any group size constraint. But please RSVP if you plan to attend so that I can notify them if the group gets much larger than that. They have been very accommodating and I'd like to be able to take advantage of their hospitality again.

This is a Harris County park and there are some restrictions about using the facility, which I reviewed wth them and did not find to be a problem. The one they were the most worried about is that we might be selling materials, which I said was not a problem.

venchka
13-Feb-2009, 15:22
Add Steve Dowell who RSVP'd. at APUG.

http://www.scdowellphoto.com/index.cfm

iozone
14-Feb-2009, 13:21
I'd like to come!! Room for one more?

Robert Fisher
14-Feb-2009, 14:07
Steve, you risk physical harm unless you bring that 12x20. I (probably everybody there) would LOVE to see it. PLEASE!!

venchka
14-Feb-2009, 14:56
Sure Ed! Come on!

Valerie
15-Feb-2009, 10:32
Neighbor now says a photo to go with the press release would be a good addition. Anyone have a pict of their LF camera in use? Otherwise I'll lift something off the internet.

Jeremy Moore
15-Feb-2009, 11:28
Valerie, something like this?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3407/3244053663_f6a1bebe70.jpg

Valerie
15-Feb-2009, 12:37
Thanks Jeremy!

Scott Teven
15-Feb-2009, 21:41
I don't recall if anyone has listed the website for Kleb Woods Park:

http://www.pct3.hctx.net/parks/KlebWoodsNaturePres.aspx

I am looking forward to meeting everyone at the event on Saturday, Feb. 21

venchka
16-Feb-2009, 06:03
Thanks Scott. We will be at the Nature Center off Mueschke Road. We will NOT be at the parking area on FM 2920.

venchka
16-Feb-2009, 06:21
Neighbor now says a photo to go with the press release would be a good addition. Anyone have a pict of their LF camera in use? Otherwise I'll lift something off the internet.

Valerie,

Photos taken at the Alt. Process gathering in October.

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum145/52205-2008-texas-area-alt-process-stuff-get-together-ii-7.html

http://www.apug.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12269&d=1225136045 (http://www.apug.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12269&d=1225136045)

http://www.apug.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12271&d=1225136080

iozone
17-Feb-2009, 19:50
Hey Guys,

Or is that Howdy Yuaaall.

Is there any kind of agenda and/or schedule?

venchka
18-Feb-2009, 07:19
Hey Guys,

Or is that Howdy Yuaaall.

Is there any kind of agenda and/or schedule?

Swap yarns, tell war stories, lie a lot??????????? :D

I'm sure that Clay has an agenda in mind. I'm hoping to soak up a bit of knowledge.

I think the day will be aimed at "Get acquainted with view cameras". Followed by wasting film and good socializing. I am planning to pack a lunch. The park is a long way to anywhere. There are grills in the other section of the park if somebody wanted to get fancy and cook.

clay harmon
18-Feb-2009, 07:40
I am thinking the best thing to do is as you suggested: Get friendly with your view camera. Possible stuff to learn:

loading holders
using the various shutters that pop up on old lenses
focusing and depth of field techniques
optimum f-stop
simple camera movements to sharpen the image
shading the lens
metering and exposure

I'm guessing by the time we cover all that people will be itching to just wander off and take some pictures.

venchka
18-Feb-2009, 09:35
Thanks Clay! If we can cover all of that I will learn something!

Robert Fisher
18-Feb-2009, 09:56
Does anybody attending need some 810 holders?

I have some available at $35 and can bring if anybody is interested.

iozone
18-Feb-2009, 10:37
Thanks Clay.

On another note, is any one coming in from the east? I'm asking because there is a small airport about 8 miles east and I'm looking to beg a ride. I'll be happy to pay for gas.

venchka
18-Feb-2009, 10:39
Thanks Clay.

On another note, is any one coming in from the east? I'm asking because there is a small airport about 8 miles east and I'm looking to beg a ride. I'll be happy to pay for gas.

Ed,

Show me on a map. If it's the one I think it is, near US-290 and Telge Road, I live near there and go past it to get to the Shindig.

Wayne

venchka
18-Feb-2009, 10:43
Thanks Clay.

This airport?

http://www.weiserairpark.com/

Wayne

iozone
18-Feb-2009, 11:03
This airport?

http://www.weiserairpark.com/

Wayne

Could go there, I was actually thinking of this one "Dan Jones International"

http://www.airnav.com/airport/T51

Weiser works also, I've been there many times. I was reluctant to ask you directly Wayne because I have the impression you are going to be busy with the event.

venchka
18-Feb-2009, 11:07
Could go there, I was actually thinking of this one "Dan Jones International"

http://www.airnav.com/airport/T51

Weiser works also, I've been there many times. I was reluctant to ask you directly Wayne because I have the impression you are going to be busy with the event.

This airport's flight path is over my head. It is no trouble at all. Any idea what time you'll be landing? I'll send my cell phone number in a PM. Call me and I'll come get you.

My only concern is finding the actual entry from Huffmeister. I can call them for directions. There is a Jack In The Box at 290 & Huffmeister. I was planning to stop their anyway.

See you Saturday.

iozone
18-Feb-2009, 11:18
My only concern is finding the actual entry from Huffmeister. I can call them for directions. There is a Jack In The Box at 290 & Huffmeister. I was planning to stop their anyway.

See you Saturday.

I believe the entrance is off the service road. Just give me a time. Do you need to be at the meeting site at 9:00 AM?

venchka
18-Feb-2009, 11:25
I believe the entrance is off the service road. Just give me a time. Do you need to be at the meeting site at 9:00 AM?

I did volunteer to get there at 9am. Hopefully someone else was planning to get there around the same time.

It's about 15-20 minutes from the airport to the park. I reckon if you are tied down anytime between 8 & 9 we'll be good. Later would be ok too. Do you want something from J.I.T.B.? :D

This is awesome! A fly in guest. Are you bringing the Norma?

iozone
18-Feb-2009, 11:37
Are you bringing the Norma?

The Norma is not quite ready, (lenses mounted on lensboards etc..) so I'm not sure yet. I'll try.

I'll be tied down around 8:30. Thanks Much.

venchka
18-Feb-2009, 11:40
Don't fret about the Norma. I have lots of time to come visit and fondle, err, see it.

I'm in a 1999 navy blue Volvo S70 sedan.

See you Saturday.

wclavey
18-Feb-2009, 14:19
I did volunteer to get there at 9am. Hopefully someone else was planning to get there around the same time.

It's about 15-20 minutes from the airport to the park. I reckon if you are tied down anytime between 8 & 9 we'll be good. Later would be ok too. Do you want something from J.I.T.B.? :D

This is awesome! A fly in guest. Are you bringing the Norma?

Wayne, I plan to be there about 8:30... leaving the house about 7:45... so if you get helpd up it should still be OK.

venchka
18-Feb-2009, 14:21
Thanks Westley.

Steve Pauly
19-Feb-2009, 08:58
I am new to the forum as well as a new LF photographer, and I am excited to see analog photo interest in the Houston area.

It kills me not to be able to make this meeting, as it sounds very interesting but I have a commitment that I can not break.

Thanks,
Steve.

venchka
19-Feb-2009, 09:26
I am new to the forum as well as a new LF photographer, and I am excited to see analog photo interest in the Houston area.

It kills me not to be able to make this meeting, as it sounds very interesting but I have a commitment that I can not break.

Thanks,
Steve.

Shucks! Sorry you can't make it.

venchka
20-Feb-2009, 08:17
Crummy weather alternate plan...

Since we have dry indoor facilities until noon, the alternate plan for bad weather: Make it up as we go along.

venchka
20-Feb-2009, 08:19
Thought: Is anyone bringing a digital camera to document this historic event?

Valerie
20-Feb-2009, 10:31
I"ll have my little digi-thing. And 2 "tag-alongs" who would love to take the photos.

venchka
20-Feb-2009, 10:32
Perfect! Gotta love those "tag-alongs".

venchka
20-Feb-2009, 16:27
See Y'all tomorrow morning. Rain or Shine! Be there!

clay harmon
20-Feb-2009, 19:06
Looks like the precipitation odds are highest at noon. Perhaps arrive as early as coffee will allow:http://www.weather.com/outlook/homeandgarden/garden/hourbyhour/graph/77346?begHour=1&begDay=52&from=hrly_graph

sdivot
20-Feb-2009, 23:19
Steve, you risk physical harm unless you bring that 12x20. I (probably everybody there) would LOVE to see it. PLEASE!!

Robert,
Maybe I'll bring it and leave it in the car if anyone wants to take a look at it. I don't yet have a good tripod for it anyway. I'm currently using it on an old hospital cart (the type you eat your food on). It works well indoors, but not in the field!
Remember I said maybe. I'll see how I feel in the morning.
It's very old and delicate.
See you all in the am.
Steve
www.scdowellphoto.com

Valerie
21-Feb-2009, 19:41
This was such a great meetup. Thank you to Clay, Wayne, Wes and others. Hoping that this becomes a (semi-)regular thing.

wclavey
22-Feb-2009, 09:34
Let me second the big "Thank you" to Clay for the content!

And I'm thinking of a line of questioning for our next LF get together... I'd like to hear people talk about: (1) the data & information they capture when making an LF exposre; and then (2) what they do with that information after they get back home. I think that learning to use the equipment is part but not all of developing a reproducible process and I would like to see if we can all short cut that learning process by sharing what we do amongst ourselves - - whether we are LF cogniscenti or novices.

So thanks, again to all who came out and to the people who worked to originate, organize or guide the event.

The group of us that hung out to the end decided that we needed name tags with forum names on them. Some of us are pretty easy, but some can be cryptic.

Keefe Borden
22-Feb-2009, 14:02
I am also very grateful to all who came, particularly those who had lots of experience and information to share. If anyone is heading out for a Saturday morning shoot, let me know and I might tag along to see what else I might learn.

Best, Keefe.

Scott Teven
22-Feb-2009, 22:18
Indeed, a wonderful first gathering of regional LF photographers! I will be sending out a list with contact information that was provided at our meeting.

venchka
23-Feb-2009, 06:24
Thanks to eveyone. A big Thank you to Clay for demystifying a few things.

We definitely need to do this again. Next time we should plan to spend more time exposing film. A new location (for some of us) would be great too.

I've never been in a room with so many cool toys before.

venchka
23-Feb-2009, 07:27
Indeed, a wonderful first gathering of regional LF photographers! I will be sending out a list with contact information that was provided at our meeting.

Can you send me the instructions for rescuing my Epson 1280 printer?

bigdog
23-Feb-2009, 09:38
I've never been in a room with so many cool toys before.

Pictures? We need pictures!!! :D

venchka
23-Feb-2009, 09:40
There are 275+ digital images floating around in Cornbread's camera. I'll have to round them up and filter out a few.

Go see Clay Harmon's For Sale listings here at LFPF. He had all of those goodies at the meeting.

venchka
24-Feb-2009, 10:40
Pictures? We need pictures!!! :D

Digital cameras are good for something. Thanks, Cornbread!

http://www.texasphotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94493