PDA

View Full Version : Scanmate scanners

Bruce M. Herman
27-Jan-2009, 16:53
There are several scanmate scanners on eBay at his time, including a 3000 drum scanner and an F8 flat bed scanner. Is anyone familiar with either of these models, and if so, what are your thoughts? I'd be using them to scan 4x5 color transparencies.

Thanks.

sanking
27-Jan-2009, 18:16
Bruce,

I am not very familiar with the Scanmate drum scanners. However, I see a lot of them from auction companies that do not guarantee that they work and note that the only thing that comes with the scanner is what you see. So you risking getting a DOA scanner, or one with no software, drum, mounting station, etc. That would be a very bad risk in my estimation.

As a general rule I would recommend buying drum scanners and other high end flatbed scanners only, 1) from an individual who will allow you to see and test the scanner in advance, or 2) from a company that offers a guarantee that the scanner is in good working conditions with all necessary software, cables, drums, mounting station, etc.

I have seen several interesting drum scanners advertised on ebay but have determined that I would seriously consider buying one only from an area seller who would allow local inspection and pick-up. Buying with no ability to inspect and no guarantee that the scanner is in good operation with all necessary software and equipment would be to me more or less like taking my money and throwing it into a deep dark hole.

Sandy King

There are several scanmate scanners on eBay at his time, including a 3000 drum scanner and an F8 flat bed scanner. Is anyone familiar with either of these models, and if so, what are your thoughts? I'd be using them to scan 4x5 color transparencies.

Thanks.

Bruce M. Herman
27-Jan-2009, 18:19
sanking,
Thank you for your thoughts. Unfortunately, I suspect that I could count the number of high end scanners in Anchorage on one hand and none are for sale. If you know of a reputable reseller, I'd be happy to look there.
Bruce

sanking
27-Jan-2009, 18:41
It definitely helps to be in a large urban area like Los Angeles, Chicago or New York if you are looking to pick up a high end scanner locally. Even where I am located, about halfway between Charlotte, NC and Atlanta, Georgia, two fairly large southern cities, you don't see drum scanners for sell all that often.

One source that you might consider is Genesis in Arizona. http://www.genesis-equipment.com/
I know of several persons who have purchased from Genesis and have not heard anything negative about them.

Sandy King

sanking,
Thank you for your thoughts. Unfortunately, I suspect that I could count the number of high end scanners in Anchorage on one hand and none are for sale. If you know of a reputable reseller, I'd be happy to look there.
Bruce

Bruce M. Herman
27-Jan-2009, 19:32
Thanks, Sandy. They have a good selection. I'll call them tomorrow.