PDA

View Full Version : Linhof Aero technika + aero-rolex + objectives

J.W. Haverkort
26-Jan-2009, 08:10
I inhereted the camera of my husband, who was a Dutch aerial photographer. Can somebody give me any information about it and what it's worth? I'm thinking about selling it.
Thanks!

Specs:
Linhof Camera;
Aero-Rolex 4x5 in;

Objectives:
Super-Angulon 5.6 / 90
Apo-Symar 5.6 / 180
Tele-Arton 5.6 / 250

Bob Salomon
26-Jan-2009, 13:16
I inhereted the camera of my husband, who was a Dutch aerial photographer. Can somebody give me any information about it and what it's worth? I'm thinking about selling it.
Thanks!

Specs:
Linhof Camera;
Aero-Rolex 4x5 in;

Objectives:
Super-Angulon 5.6 / 90
Apo-Symar 5.6 / 180
Tele-Arton 5.6 / 250

What is the serial number of the camera? That will tell us if it is the later electric model or not. Is the back the vacuum back?

If it is an electric model there should also be cords and possibly a battery pack and charger. Is there?

J.W. Haverkort
27-Jan-2009, 00:24
The serial nr of the camera is: 6565029
The aero-rolex has a vacuum back. There is also a serial nr: B721054.
I also found a recharcher, but I'm not sure if it matches the Linhof stuff.
Tonight I will try to put some pictures on the internet.
Thanks!

Bob Salomon
27-Jan-2009, 05:32
The serial nr of the camera is: 6565029
The aero-rolex has a vacuum back. There is also a serial nr: B721054.
I also found a recharcher, but I'm not sure if it matches the Linhof stuff.
Tonight I will try to put some pictures on the internet.
Thanks!

You have the last version and the most valuable one of the series. This is the camera NASA used on the Space Shuttle and that back is the one the USA National Archives used on their Master Technica cameras to archive their old documents.

New, when still made, your outfit would have sold for the better part of $40,00 to $50,000.00 US.

Used it still has a lot of value if you can find the right buyer. If you can't it doesn't hold that much value due to weight, size and the need for 126mm roll film on NATO modified 50' film spools.

The battery pack and charger are 24V for this camera.

Sevo
27-Jan-2009, 06:48
Used it still has a lot of value if you can find the right buyer. If you can't it doesn't hold that much value due to weight, size and the need for 126mm roll film on NATO modified 50' film spools.

In a perfect state, it might appeal to collectors, and a standalone with battery/vacuum pack might appeal to a few large format enthusiasts. But if it has traces of use and a on-board voltage supply, that would limit the potential market to the very few, if any, remaining aerial film camera operators with a plane beyond ultralights and oldtimers.

Sevo

Bob Salomon
27-Jan-2009, 07:04
In a perfect state, it might appeal to collectors, and a standalone with battery/vacuum pack might appeal to a few large format enthusiasts. But if it has traces of use and a on-board voltage supply, that would limit the potential market to the very few, if any, remaining aerial film camera operators with a plane beyond ultralights and oldtimers.

Sevo
Cable and a plug are available for direct power from the aircraft if required.

J.W. Haverkort
28-Jan-2009, 00:12
Thanks, I am very imressed.
Bob, I assume that you mean that these type of camera / back were used in de Space shuttle and the nat. USA archives?

I remember my husband (Peter van Bolhuis) was really proud at his equipment! He used the camera for high quality aerial photographs. The camera was completely checked and maintained very well. The camera is used, but not damaged. Since august 2005 this camera is safely stored and not been used.

I think it is only possible to sell this camera on an international market (I live in the Netherlands)? Can someone give me some advice... contact persons... or help?

Here is a link tot a pdf with some pictures of the camera:
http://www.pandion.nl/cameras/camera.htm

J.W. Haverkort
28-Jan-2009, 02:15
Thanks!
That is very impressive... I assume that you mean that this type of camera / back was used in the space shuttle and nat. archives, and not specific this one?
I remember that my husband (Peter van Bolhuis) was very proud at his equipment!
The camera was used to make high quality aerial photographs. It was completally checked and well maintained. Since august 2005 it is safely stored and not been used.

I think this camera should be sold at the international market (I live in the Netherlands)? Can someone give me some advice... contacts ... help with that?

Here some pictures of the camera:

Arne Croell
28-Jan-2009, 14:17
Thanks!

I think this camera should be sold at the international market (I live in the Netherlands)? Can someone give me some advice... contacts ... help with that?

One option, more geared towards the collectors market, are photographic auction houses like Westlicht in Vienna: http://www.westlicht-auction.com/index.php?id=7131&_ssl=off&lang=default

They usually have a Linhof section in their auctions, and since they list all the previous auctions on the web site, you could check them for an idea.

I am not affiliated with them at all, just a two-time customer.

J.W. Haverkort
29-Jan-2009, 23:48
Yesterday I found an other Aero-rolex with the serial nr 6281053. It's also a vacuum one. And a Linhof back for mid-format negatives (6x7 cm).
Thanks so far!

markuspd
4-Jul-2009, 18:28
Hi did you manage to sell this aero kit?.
I would dearly love to own it!.

J.W. Haverkort
25-Oct-2009, 00:12
I still have the camera.
Are you seriously interested?
Jeanette

glassact
13-Dec-2009, 19:29
Jeanette:
If you have a moment - please E-mail me offline. Thanks - Ed

humming
1-Nov-2010, 04:29
sold ?

hackphotographer
26-Jan-2011, 06:39
Does anyone have any other information regarding the value of this camera? I may be selling one of these for a client and am doing some research. I need some kind of idea of a price. Thanks in advance!

hackphotographer
26-Jan-2011, 06:46
Also, my client told me he paid $35,000 for the camera in the late 70's ( I believe he said..or maybe the early 80's ). He told me that he recalled that the distributor had told him that he was the 5th person in all of the U.S. to own one. I've not seen the unit yet and only have a nominal amount of information from him about it. I will pick it up this weekend.

Again, any help is greatly appreciated.

Bob Salomon
26-Jan-2011, 07:27
Also, my client told me he paid $35,000 for the camera in the late 70's ( I believe he said..or maybe the early 80's ). He told me that he recalled that the distributor had told him that he was the 5th person in all of the U.S. to own one. I've not seen the unit yet and only have a nominal amount of information from him about it. I will pick it up this weekend.

Again, any help is greatly appreciated.

We sold lots more then 5 in the USA. Maybe he meant that he was the 5th private individual to buy one. Companies like EG&G as well as government divisions like NASA had many pieces of these cameras. The rare camera in the USA was the later Aerotronica. The rare Aero Technika EL was the version with the 70mm back. The version with the 5" vacuum back was quite common. The 70mm version was not a vacuum back.

Here are the last prices from 2000.

45 Aero Technika EL body with 45 Graflock back $11,990.00
90mm Super Angulon lens in fixed focus bayonet mount $8,400.00
150mm Symmar in focusing bayonet mount $8,850.00
180mm Symmar in focusing bayonet mount $9,400.00
250mm Tele Arton in focusing bayonet mount $9,950.00
Frame Finder Base $587.00
90/150/180/250 frame finder $285.00
45 Vacuum Back 50' $12,500.00
24V rechargeable battery pack and charger $2,100.00
126mm film winder $550.00
Case $870.00 (camera could only be bought complete with case)

These are new prices in 2000. Today's price will depend on condition and demand.

hackphotographer
26-Jan-2011, 19:38
Bob,

I am VERY grateful for your response. Thank you so much. I will have the gear after going to retrieve it this weekend so that I will be able to have more exact information relative to what it is so then perhaps the specifics will help me to evaluate the gear more thoroughly.

What you wrote about him being the 5th to buy it was what I thought to probably be the case.

Thank you again...I hope to post more after I have it in my hands and if you can offer more insights then..........that would be fantastic.

blessings,
Ken

simondoa
7-Jun-2013, 04:13
Hello everyone,

after a quick search on the web i found this topic on the forum

An Uncle (who has aerial watching company) gave me an Aero technika 45 with 3 aero rollex backs and 8 objectives (two time the same), i got batteries with but no cable in between the batteries and the camera.
I would be very curious to give it a try. Last time it runs was around 2003, some paper with says it has been checked in 2003, when this uncle bought an other company to merge with his. Finaly they didn't kept using this tool.
i believe the power supply should be 24v 800ma (written on the charger) but i don't know the electrical polarity of the socket, does anyone have any documentation about it or just the answer about the right polarity ? where can i find this cable to plug the camera ? unfortunately i believe the cable has been lost in an aircraft or a warehouse
I have a last question : does someone know if kodak aerochrome film (AR-5) can still be processed somewhere in europe ? because there is a lot with, outdated 2003 but in a freezer since
I asked around me (i'm photographer but don't know anything about aerial stuff) and the only man i found who was repairing this material 15 years ago told me to ask god itself (meaning linhof) because he couldn't answer my questions (i'm in south west france). So i sent a email to linhof but i ve no answer yet.
i might be selling it (or exchange) if in a working condition because i'm curious right now but i know it would be a useless camera to me.
I would be very glad and grateful to have any answer,

Thanks

Jac@stafford.net
8-Jun-2013, 06:49
Hello everyone,

after a quick search on the web i found this topic on the forum [...]

I have a last question : does someone know if kodak aerochrome film (AR-5) can still be processed somewhere in europe ? because there is a lot with, outdated 2003 but in a freezer since

This is not a European company, but the best aerial photo processing place I know, and they do AR-5 processing:
http://www.aerialphotolab.com/film_processing.htm

They know hardware very well, too, and might have the cable you need.