PDA

View Full Version : Great news for readers of Creative Image Maker

vickersdc
26-Jan-2009, 07:22
So here's the latest news for you all...

"When I first came up with the idea of CiM in December 2007, it was because of several threads on the forums that showed that photographers were lamenting the demise of traditional photography in the magazines; even the few remaining magazines catering for film had begun to introduce digital articles. And so, Creative Image Maker was born in January 2008, dedicated solely to non-digital photographic processes and it will remain that way.

Since we relaunched at the start of 2009, I've been bowled over by the support you have shown towards Creative Image Maker as a whole; that support is in the form of just reading the articles in the PDF magazine that Chris puts together, sending us ideas or comments, or submitting articles and images. You may have seen on the Flickr group discussion that in all of November and December last year there were 1,600 page views on the CiM website; from January 1st to the 21st there were 5,000. That's three times as many pages served in just one third of the time! To me, something has happened, last year there was lots on interest in CiM but it was too big for me to handle, taking up too much of my time at the expense of my family.

This year it's different; between Chris and me we can work together (despite being several thousand miles apart) to bring you articles, images and inspiration for your own photography. There's a lot of interest from the readership and we thank you. But, it doesn't stop there - both myself and Chris are committed to building the magazine, and so here's the absolute latest news for you...

I'd like to welcome Rob Valine on to the team; you may know Rob from Flickr and he'll be writing a monthly article on 'something to do with photography' (that was the extent of the brief I gave him!).

The big news, the really big news though is all about March. Chris and I have both been working feverishly away, drinking cups of strong black coffee in a bid to work tirelessly to bring you... the option of a paper magazine. There I said it. In fact, not just one, but TWO!! Both magazines will be available from the Lulu storefront: http://stores.lulu.com/creativeimagemaker and you're probably asking why two?

Chris is going to put out, each quarter, a roundup of the magazines, as it happens this first one will be a bumper edition containing December through to March. Naturally this will be a paid for edition, so for all you people who requested a paper copy... it's coming!

The second magazine is a CiM Special. Put together by yours truly, it takes one element of photography and does it to death I jest of course, but it enables us to focus on one thing within the huge sphere of traditional photography, and this first issue is: Glass Plate Photography; featuring articles and images from museums, Denise Ross, Quinn Jacobsen, Michael Waite and a host of others. This will be available as a free download PDF, but also as a paper copy. I wanted to make this a 'special' for more than one reason though, and it crossed my mind that we could do goodly works with these specials when they come out, and so all proceeds from the sale of the Glass Plate Photography Special (well, the bit that Lulu doesn't take for printing) will go to charity.

At the time of writing I haven't decided on a charity, but it's very likely to be a charity local to me that provide disabled children a chance to get out, play and try out new experiences. Keep an eye on the website for up-to-date information. Chris has already selected his next two charities!

I hope that you are able to support CiM, provide cash to help disadvantaged kids and get a paper copy of the magazine special yourself. Everybody wins.

Finally, as if that wasn't enough, I'm also planning to start converting the articles on the website in to PDF files. The originals will remain there, but it struck me that as we run different articles in the PDF and the website, that you could actually create your own magazine! So, I plan to create a CiM front cover for you to download, then you can download the articles that interest you from the website; et voila! your very own tailored CiM magazine - now how's that for service with a smile!

It's fair to say that these are exciting times for both Chris and I, and we hope for your continued support - help us by letting your photographic friends know about Creative Image Maker and spread the word that there is an alternative to magazines filled with digital articles.

Thank you."

David Vickers

christopher walrath
26-Jan-2009, 11:24
Yup. The February Issue is online now. So check it out. Thank you everyone for your support.

vickersdc
4-Feb-2009, 04:58
Thanks to a suggestion from a reader of CiM, I've just put up an RSS feed that you can subscribe to on the main website. If you subscribe to it, it'll be used to inform you when new articles appear, when the PDF magazine is available (as well as any magazine specials like the upcoming March edition dedicated to glass plate photography).

vickersdc
6-Feb-2009, 06:20
I'm currently working on the layout for the March special (charity) edition on Glass Plate Photography which is really exciting as it will be available for free download (PDF) or printed on real paper by Lulu - for a fee though! Although everything left after Lulu take their bit will be going to charity.

But, I'm also after doing some articles in people's native tongue (which of course means that I'm going to have to trust you to write nicely!). If you are interested in writing something in Dutch / German / Spanish / Greek (could prove interesting with the character set) or some other language, send it in to info@creativeimagemaker.co.uk - along with a brief summary of what it is about! I'd love to be able to produce a truly 'International' edition some time in the future, so if you could help, get in touch.

Many thanks,
David.