PDA

View Full Version : Scanner with hazy glass window

lungovw
24-Jan-2009, 08:50
I have an Epson 4870 Photo and noticed a sort of deposit over the glass window on the inner side. It is very light but it is there. I read the manual and it says "never open the scanner". But I am wondering if this has an effect on the scanned images. Does anybody experienced something like that? Any recommendation?

Best regards

Wagner

Brian Schall
24-Jan-2009, 12:13
I have an Epson 2450 that's fairly cloudy. It seems to be a common problem. And yes it does have an effect. There's a couple a sites on the internet explaining how to disassemble the 2450; don't know if there are any for the 4870. It's definitely not an easy job. One of these days I'm going to take the plunge and do mine. Good luck.

Brian Vuillemenot
24-Jan-2009, 13:33
Same thing on my 4990. I haven't attempted to open and clean it, since it still appears to function fine.

Doug Fisher
24-Jan-2009, 13:51
I would definitely clean it and it is not that hard. Here are some resources I put up:

http://www.betterscanning.com/scanning/dismantling.html

Doug
---
www.BetterScanning.com

Pete Watkins
25-Jan-2009, 02:52
I've got the same problem with my Canon CanoScam 9900F. Anybody got any ideas? Please.
Pete.

sultanofcognac
25-Jan-2009, 03:22
Doug,

Thanks for the link to the Epson dismantling info. I took mine apart about five months ago because that fog bothered me. I also cleaned the slide scanning top glass. Now I have the specs tho. That helps for next time.

Cheers,

Johnny