PDA

View Full Version : Linhof Serial #

CamKoroluk
19-Jan-2009, 09:25
I am looking at a Linhof Technica, and I am wondering what model it is.

Serial # 2285301

The kit is $1500CAD and this is what's in it:

Linhof 4x5 camera
Zeiss Planar 135mm #2112636
Zeiss Biogon 75mm #3523567
several 4x5 holders
120 back
Rangefinder
Sekonic
Linhod tripod
misc accessories

Any advice?

Bob Salomon
19-Jan-2009, 11:32
Got a picture of the camera?

CamKoroluk
19-Jan-2009, 12:09
No I don't have a picture, but I could get one later today.

The camera looks like other tech IV's I have seen on the internet: tan leather, gears on the top.

The rise and fall is operated by a small metal lever, which would be on your right side when facing the front of the lens.

I just got an email from someone else saying that the serial number I gave for the camera doesn't match with any tech IV's or V's.

Does that help? I'll get a picture as soon as I can.

Cam

Bob Salomon
19-Jan-2009, 13:03
No I don't have a picture, but I could get one later today.

The camera looks like other tech IV's I have seen on the internet: tan leather, gears on the top.

The rise and fall is operated by a small metal lever, which would be on your right side when facing the front of the lens.
V's
I just got an email from someone else saying that the serial number I gave for the camera doesn't match with any tech IV's or.

Does that help? I'll get a picture as soon as I can.

Cam

Your serial number does not match with any that we have for a V. Since the camera has a crank it has to be a V or a Master. If it has the lift-up top flap on the top of the body housing it is a Master. But a Master has black covering (except for some special editions like the red 3000 released last year). The V has a grey covering.

Since the serial number is engraved on the accessory shoe and the number you gave does not match the V series you should question the seller very carefully regarding where that serial number came from and why it does not match the V production numbers. As that appears to be the case you would also want fuller descriptions of everything being offered.

CamKoroluk
19-Jan-2009, 13:30
Thanks,

I am going to double check the serial number and post some pictures.

The camera is at a local camera store on consignment from the original owner (who died recently), and who apparently bought the camera in the 60's, so I don't know if I can get much more info. Like I said, I will post some pictures and see if that helps.

Thanks

CamKoroluk
19-Jan-2009, 13:35
Hi,

Just got the camera, and realized that they gave me the wrong serial number. Here's the right one:

Sory about the confusion.

Brian Ellis
19-Jan-2009, 19:05
Bob Salomon will know for sure from the correct serial # but you said it's tan leatherette. Tan normally means a IV unless by an outside chance someone had it recovered in tan from the original black of a III or gray of a V. The rise/fall lever on the front right sounds like a V though. So I'm not sure. I vaguely recall reading somewhere that some very late IVs had the crank in the front.

Bob Salomon
20-Jan-2009, 02:57
Hi,

Just got the camera, and realized that they gave me the wrong serial number. Here's the right one:

Sory about the confusion.

1966 Super Technika V

Allen in Montreal
20-Jan-2009, 03:59
That is not a bad price for the kit, if you are pondering it, but a deposit on it.
I have the Planar and really like for B+W.
I had a S V years ago and regret getting rid of it, it is a great camera.

I am looking at a Linhof Technica, and I am wondering what model it is.

Serial # 2285301

The kit is $1500CAD and this is what's in it:

Linhof 4x5 camera
Zeiss Planar 135mm #2112636
Zeiss Biogon 75mm #3523567
several 4x5 holders
120 back
Rangefinder
Sekonic
Linhod tripod
misc accessories

Any advice?

David A. Goldfarb
20-Jan-2009, 06:29
That's a very good price for the kit, particularly if both lenses are cammed, and all the better if the "misc accessories" include things like a zoom finder, 70mm drop in filters and shade with filter holder, compendium shade, aluminum case, etc., all of which would add to the cost, if you were buying a la carte.

If the rollfilm back is a Super-Rollex with the lever wind or a Rapid Rollex that slips under the groundglass, those are more desirable than the older Rollex backs with the knob wind, which can have frame spacing problems with some modern films, even when the back is in good working order due to a design issue that depends on the film and backing being of a certain thickness.

Even if you had the old style back and there were no interesting accessories, and the lenses weren't cammed, $1500CAD is still a good price for a Tech V with a Planar and a Biogon without serious defects.

venchka
20-Jan-2009, 07:46
Any advice?

Buy the kit.
Use the kit.
Share the photos!
Good luck.

Allen in Montreal
20-Jan-2009, 09:40
Your serial number does not match with any that we have for a V...........

1966 Super Technika V

Good catch!
Nice to have such a wealth of info nearby. :)