PDA

View Full Version : Time for a new tripod

Lon Overacker
18-Jan-2009, 21:36
I've searched and read many of the threads here regarding tripods, but it's always nice to get current opinions and plus I have a few specific questions.

For over 20yrs I've only used the Bogen 3021(and 3221.) It's served me well, although it's on it's last legs... so to speak. The lever locks have always needed tightening, I've lost and had to replace the nuts and now the legs are quite sticky and I'm just ready for a new tripod. I've had various cameras on top including the Wista, Zone VI and now I have the Chamonix 4x5 (love this camera!) The head is a Bogen 3047 3-way, which is a beast, but I never liked working the 4x5 with a ball head and I like working with the 3-way pan/tilt.

The primary considerations are:

- Height. I'm 6'4" and I need the extra height to minimize having to use the center column. But I do want a center column.
- I've got about a $300 budget
- Leg locks - flip/lever locks or twist lock. I'm open, but have a question below.
- weight. The combo of my current setup is probably over 10lbs and I'd like to get that down. I know the head is heavy, but maybe that's for next years budget. I generally work pretty close to the car, but do a fair share of trekking thru the woods, trails, etc. and lightening the load on the shoulder would be nice.

For now, I'm looking at the Velbon El Carmagne 630A and the Feisol CT-3301 or sitting on the outside of my budget with the center column, the CT-3342.

I've never heard anything bad about the Feisol, but I have a question. According to the info on Kerry's Reallybigcameras site, there isn't a locking mechanism for the twist locks. For those who have a Feisol, what is your opinion on operating the twist locks? ease of use, quickness to set up, etc. Also, I thought I read that they're so finely machined that air gets locked and it takes a moment or two for the air pressure to equalize in the tubes when you're extending the legs. Is this a problem or annoyance?

Any opinions on the Velbon listed?

Sorry for the lengthy post, just weighing my options. I appreciate your opinions.

Lon Overacker

jeroldharter
18-Jan-2009, 22:05
The Feisol legs have twist locks that work well.

I bought one from Kerry. Feel free to email him. He provides great service. I bought one as a lightweight alternative to my Berlebach and I am very happy with it. I use it with an Arca 4x5 . I do find the model numbers annoying. I have the "Tournament" size tripod that I think is the smallest that is appropriate for 4x5.

Lachlan 717
18-Jan-2009, 22:09
I'm a bit like you - 6'3" with a distain for bending over...

As such, I purchased a Feisol CT-3342 from Kerry.

I cannot rate this tripod (and Kerry's pre and post sales service) highly enough!!

As for your specific questions, the twist locks act as any other lock in that they use friction to support weight. Any tripod that I have seen will only support as much weight as the amount of friction on the lock has (hope that this makes sense). It should easily handle the 10lbs weight.

Never experienced the air lock thing.

I find that, with a 'frotto 488RC2 ball head on the Feisol, I don't need much (if any) centre column extension to shoot at eye level. I would think that you could probably get away with not having the centre column for the time being if its cost is a consideration.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Lachlan.

mccormickstudio
18-Jan-2009, 23:30
I've been using the Induro A313 - aluminum alloy, not cf, for my Chamonix 8x10. The one problem I see is that the center column has a bit of a gap and can rotate l-r by about 1-2 degrees. A problem in big wind. Also - in a fierce wind, the cham 8x10 tipped the inuduro a bit, not quite over. This tells me that cf is not the way to go if you shoot in wind. My induro was about $160. Personally I don't buy the cf upgrade for 4x5 or 8x10. I think you get a better, stable tripod from Induro or others for well under $200.

Lachlan 717
19-Jan-2009, 02:51
Also - in a fierce wind, the cham 8x10 tipped the inuduro a bit, not quite over. This tells me that cf is not the way to go if you shoot in wind.

My Feisol came with a screw-on hook. I have a occy/bungy cord that I attach to the 'pod on one end and my bag on the other.

Like giving up Kranskies - wind problem solved!

Jim Becia
19-Jan-2009, 07:34
I've searched and read many of the threads here regarding tripods, but it's always nice to get current opinions and plus I have a few specific questions.

For over 20yrs I've only used the Bogen 3021(and 3221.) It's served me well, although it's on it's last legs... so to speak. The lever locks have always needed tightening, I've lost and had to replace the nuts and now the legs are quite sticky and I'm just ready for a new tripod. I've had various cameras on top including the Wista, Zone VI and now I have the Chamonix 4x5 (love this camera!) The head is a Bogen 3047 3-way, which is a beast, but I never liked working the 4x5 with a ball head and I like working with the 3-way pan/tilt.

The primary considerations are:

- Height. I'm 6'4" and I need the extra height to minimize having to use the center column. But I do want a center column.
- I've got about a $300 budget
- Leg locks - flip/lever locks or twist lock. I'm open, but have a question below.
- weight. The combo of my current setup is probably over 10lbs and I'd like to get that down. I know the head is heavy, but maybe that's for next years budget. I generally work pretty close to the car, but do a fair share of trekking thru the woods, trails, etc. and lightening the load on the shoulder would be nice.

For now, I'm looking at the Velbon El Carmagne 630A and the Feisol CT-3301 or sitting on the outside of my budget with the center column, the CT-3342.

I've never heard anything bad about the Feisol, but I have a question. According to the info on Kerry's Reallybigcameras site, there isn't a locking mechanism for the twist locks. For those who have a Feisol, what is your opinion on operating the twist locks? ease of use, quickness to set up, etc. Also, I thought I read that they're so finely machined that air gets locked and it takes a moment or two for the air pressure to equalize in the tubes when you're extending the legs. Is this a problem or annoyance?

Any opinions on the Velbon listed?

Sorry for the lengthy post, just weighing my options. I appreciate your opinions.

Lon Overacker

Lon,

Obviously, you have looked into the Feisols. I would contact Kerry directly. Having shot along side Kerry, I remember that he is pushing 6'4" or close to it. So his insight might be very helpful. On top of that, Kerry has and is always helpful whenever I've asked him questions. Good luck in your search. Jim

Brian Ellis
19-Jan-2009, 10:24
I have a Feisol (the model I have would be too short for you). I like the twisting locks. They're much smoother and easier on the hands than the locks on my Gitzo 1325 and they work fine. I also have the Bogen 3221 and the 3047 head that you've been using. If you end up with a Feisol and a lighter head you're going to be in for a real treat on hikes, my Feisol and Really Right Stuff head are about half the weight of the Bogen setup.

Like others, I've been very happy with Feisol's post-sales service. One of the end caps from a leg fell off at some point and was lost. I contacted Kerry and in a few days I had a box from Taiwan sent by registered mail with a bunch of extra caps in it. No charge for caps, no charge for shipping.

Lon Overacker
19-Jan-2009, 12:16
Thanks for the responses. I have contacted Kerry and he's already responded.

Looks like a Feisol is in my future... :-)

Lon

Michael Gordon
19-Jan-2009, 12:21
Hi Lon: I'm 6'1", and the CT-3342 is working great for me. I love its featherweight. I don't really have any criticisms of this legset (the twistlocks work great and are solid), but do think that the weakest point is where each leg joins the "main body" (Feisol's terminology). You wouldn't want to jerk or slam the legs shut. I've had cast aluminum parts fail on Bogen 'pods, and I would expect the same to happen with the Feisol with overabuse. Otherwise, for the value and weight, it's an excellent tripod. Fear not.

uniB
19-Jan-2009, 12:39
I'm another fan of the Feisol, I have a CT-3372, a great piece of kit. My only complaint is the spikes, which frankly, aren't spikes at all! The splikes for the CT-3342 look a little more spikey. The answer for me was to replace the Feisol bolt/spikes with Gitzo long spikes, I got a tread adapter made by a local man with a lathe.

Lachlan 717
19-Jan-2009, 13:48
One other positive for the twist locks is the ease of removing the tripod from my backpack.

I have those webbing straps on the side of my pack, with a pouch at the bottom to hold a tripod. My old Manfrotto used to give me the s#its with its "flick" locks, as these would always get caught in the straps.

The twist locks don't have any pointy bits to get snagged, making removal some much quicker, easier and less frustrating...

Lachlan.

stompyq
19-Jan-2009, 17:09
I have a velbon 640A and have been using it for the last 4 years. Not a single issue. It's travaled 5 times on international flights and a few times locally. Has held up very well. Highly recommend it (the 640A would be too short for you)

AutumnJazz
19-Jan-2009, 17:37
I'm 6' and I'm loving the 4-section carbon fiber tripod by Bogen/Manfrotto.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/548526-REG/Manfrotto_by_Bogen_Imaging_190CXPRO4_190CXPRO4_4_Section_Carbon_Fiber.html

paul08
19-Jan-2009, 18:18
Buy a light tripod and use your bag (or a local rock!) hung from the center when you need extra stability. Better to have less to carry when wind isn't a consideration.

Gordon Moat
19-Jan-2009, 18:29
I use a Bogen/Manfrotto 3021N with 3047 head. After getting dinged on overweight luggage charges on my last flight, I am contemplating going carbon fibre. What I wonder is whether I really loose much weight going to a Feisol, or similar, and then bolting a 3047 head onto that?

I would prefer keeping my hexangon plates for my tripod, and not going to a ball head. So does the weight of a 3047 head on carbon fibre legs unbalance the entire rig, or negate the weight savings.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography (http://www.gordonmoat.com)

John Bowen
19-Jan-2009, 20:13
I realize it is outside the OP's budget, but I am 6'6" and about 2 years ago picked up a Ries J100-8 (adds 8 inches to the J100 so the maximum height is 70"). It works great with my 8x10 and Richard Ritter 7x17 camera.

Previous to this I used a Zone VI lightweight tripod and hated it because it wasn't tall enough. Next I picked up a standard Zone VI Tripod and while the height was fine the weight was WAY TOO MUCH!!!!

The Ries is a great tool and I enjoy using it...

Lachlan 717
19-Jan-2009, 21:27
What I wonder is whether I really loose much weight going to a Feisol, or similar, and then bolting a 3047 head onto that?

Perhaps you could consider the CF tripod. Pack it into your checked baggage and keep the head in your carry on. I've never been checked for carry on, flying many times per year...

Lachlan.

Jim Jones
20-Jan-2009, 19:05
The top of my ancient Tiltall is 72 inches tall with the legs fully extended. Usually I don't fully extend the legs, and make up the difference by raising the column slightly. There is no play in the column when used thus. The air column in the legs vents almost instantly, and has no effect on extending or collapsing the legs. The tripod with its built-in head weighs about six pounds. The build quality of the original Tiltalls (whether named Tiltall, Leitz, Minolta, or Star D) is legendary. I have no experience with the new imported Tiltalls.

Bob Salomon
21-Jan-2009, 01:23
The top of my ancient Tiltall is 72 inches tall with the legs fully extended. Usually I don't fully extend the legs, and make up the difference by raising the column slightly. There is no play in the column when used thus. The air column in the legs vents almost instantly, and has no effect on extending or collapsing the legs. The tripod with its built-in head weighs about six pounds. The build quality of the original Tiltalls (whether named Tiltall, Leitz, Minolta, or Star D) is legendary. I have no experience with the new imported Tiltalls.

Star D was one of the imported ones. And I never knew there was a Minolta one.

mikebarger
21-Jan-2009, 03:33
My star D was built in rutherford, New Jersey
Mike

colker
26-Jan-2009, 12:14
Who is Kerry and how do i get ahold of him?

oris642
26-Jan-2009, 15:49
Kerry Thalman at www.reallybigcameras.com. Frequent contributor. Published with Perez the infamous MF lens tests: http://www.hevanet.com/cperez/testing.html#100mm_thru_163mm
I just bought a Feisol 3342 and a Photo Clam PC-40 NS ball head from him, in anticipation of getting my Chamonix 4x5 in March. Very happy with his service.

Eric

Lon Overacker
27-Jan-2009, 12:50
Thanks everyone for your thoughts and suggestions. I just received my Feisol from Kerry. He is very responsive and I received the tripod in 3 days from when I ordered it. He even shipped it on Saturday. I highly recommend Kerry and the Feisol.

Someone mentioned the use of the 3047. Add to that the lightweight Chaminox and yes, I think the 3047 is overkill and makes things a bit top heavy. A new head that better matches the tripod and camera will be in my future.

I ended up getting the standard CT-3301 which fit in my budget. The height and weight are big improvements over the Bogen 3021 and the twist locks are a breeze to operate. I'm very happy with this tripod, but the true test will simply be time... and how it holds up after years of use. But from the build, I can't see any reason why it wouldn't hold up.

Thanks again folks.

Lon

Darren H
29-Jan-2009, 06:36
Lon-

I see you already ordered the 3301. I have the 3401 and have been quite pleased with it as a lightweight travel tripod. It has become my defacto tripod for the DSLR. I also have used it with the Arca Swiss. In fact at 6'4" the Arca is about perfect height on a 3401 Feisol.

While I feel the feisol is strong enough to hold an Arca but do be careful though. I feel the the Arca makes it a little top heavy. If I am next to it I feel safe but I would not want to leave it alone in the wind. For that I really prefer my Gitzo 1325.