PDA

View Full Version : Website update, please have a look.

vinny
15-Jan-2009, 16:31
I started my site with dreamweaver about 3 years ago and couldn't get the hang of the software until recently. I've had lots of time off lately and my site is finally close to what I had in mind when I began. I'd appreciate any feedback you folks have. Good or bad.
thanks
vinny

http://www.vinnywalsh.com

severson
15-Jan-2009, 17:54
Nice clean design, Vinny, I like it. And the photographs are great!

I was wondering about captions until I accidently clicked on one of the thumbnails. I like that too, you can read them if you want to, but otherwise invisible. Nice touch.

Mark

Walter Calahan
15-Jan-2009, 18:23
Fun, nice work. Congrats.

SamReeves
15-Jan-2009, 19:46
I'll third the above comments. Thumbs up. :)

Jim Fitzgerald
15-Jan-2009, 22:07
Vinny, the site and the images are great. Gives me ideas for mine. One day I'll start.... and finish it.

Jim

vinny
16-Jan-2009, 08:32
Nice clean design, Vinny, I like it. And the photographs are great!

I was wondering about captions until I accidently clicked on one of the thumbnails. I like that too, you can read them if you want to, but otherwise invisible. Nice touch.

Mark

"click on thumbnail for info"- I don't like having to name photographs because it can influence the viewer's thoughts on what the image is about. What you thought about the lack of captions was my goal there. I also figured I could tell the story behind each image if I wanted to, kind of the way I would if the viewer and I were in a gallery setting. If someone wants more info, they can get it without contacting me with "I like the one with the rock in the water" type descriptions.

thanks for your responses so far

Joe Forks
16-Jan-2009, 21:29
Vinny,
Really nice work. You've got a great eye. Er probably two good eyes.

Best
Joe

Brian_A
17-Jan-2009, 06:11
Yeah, that second one prolly helps with the depth of field....

Vinny - Nice and simple. Seems a little too simple to me, almost like whoever put it together (I assume you) has very little knowledge of HTML. But that's obviously not the case if one stays on the site and looks around. I did very much enjoy your work, too, by the way. Keep it up!

-Brian

bernal
17-Jan-2009, 11:33
Vinny,

I like the simplicity of the design. Well done. Images number 5 and 10 of the color group look like it is the Santa Ynez area in Santa Barbara County...is it?

bernal

vinny
17-Jan-2009, 17:35
Yeah, that second one prolly helps with the depth of field....

Vinny - Nice and simple. Seems a little too simple to me, almost like whoever put it together (I assume you) has very little knowledge of HTML. But that's obviously not the case if one stays on the site and looks around. I did very much enjoy your work, too, by the way. Keep it up!

-Brian

Brian, I am self taught at dreamweaver and my knowledge of html is zero. It is quite simple and plain for a home page. I couldn't figure out how to use my original idea but I'm working on it. Thanks for your comments.

Miguel, yes. #'s 5 & 10 are actually the same spot. Click on the thumbnails for more info.

Drew Bedo
18-Jan-2009, 09:08
Vinny:

I wanted to edit the text on my website, but didn't want to go back and get "someone" to re-do it...went to a book store and got a quick reference chart (SparkCharts) for HTML. All it took eas finding the <***> symbols for paragraph, line-break, bold... and so on. Spent some time getting it all edited though...I am not talented at this!

cobalt
18-Jan-2009, 12:37
Very nice, Vinny. I want my site (when I finally get one) to be similar in its simplicity.

vinny
23-Jan-2009, 08:58
Well, I was expecting more feedback than this but I appreciate everything so far. thanks guys