PDA

View Full Version : Fuji lens mounting

swmcl
14-Jan-2009, 17:18
I hope I've done the right thing!

My brand new Fuji 300mm f 8.5 Compact series lens has a grubscrew that protrudes from the surface that mates to the lensboard. I initially didnt notice it but now that I've experienced light leaks, I've had a more thorough look at my new camera.

My solution was to not even try to use a screwdriver. I used a drill instead!

I've a feeling the idea is to lock the lens to the lensboard so I drilled a hole for it.

The result is a better fit with a lot less movement. Can anyone else confirm the situation?

I hope the photos show the situation. The sizes seem to have shrunk upon uploading.

Cheers,

Steve

Bruce Watson
14-Jan-2009, 17:25
My brand new Fuji 300mm f 8.5 Compact series lens has a grubscrew that protrudes from the surface that mates to the lensboard. I initially didnt notice it but now that I've experienced light leaks, I've had a more thorough look at my new camera.

My solution was to not even try to use a screwdriver. I used a drill instead!

I've a feeling the idea is to lock the lens to the lensboard...

You got it. Most people probably just remove the screw. It's not really necessary. But it does add a little "security" to the feel of the lens on the lensboard which is the point after all.

John Schneider
14-Jan-2009, 17:25
Either removing the screw or drilling a hole is acceptable. Some boards (Nikon as I recall, and maybe Linhof) have a cast recess as a pilot where you can drill/file a hole.

swmcl
14-Jan-2009, 17:58
Excellent! Thanks fellas.

I trust this will help others too.

I'll post soon with my Shen Hao 5x7 light leak solutions - there are a few unfortunately.

Cheers,

Steve

Gem Singer
14-Jan-2009, 17:59
You call it a "grubscrew". It's actually an index pin. It is included with all new Copal 0 and Copal 1 shutters for the purpose of preventing the shutter from rotating on the lens board while tightening down the retaining ring.

Most people remove the tiny screw. I have a jeweler's screw driver for just such a purpose. However, It's perfectly acceptable to drill, or grind, a recess in the lens board to accept the pin.

That limits the shutter to align on the lens board in only one way. Make certain it's the actual way that you will be using it. One of my friends found that he couldn't attach a cable release to his shutter because it was aligned improperly when he ground out the recess for the pin. It bumped into the upright of his front standard.

swmcl
14-Jan-2009, 22:26
Thanks Gem,

I made certain the lens was positioned beforehand. This is my only Copal 3 lens and there is a fair amount of room after it is assembled. The hole helps to prevent the movement too.

I think also the hole is covered by the locking ring so one could escape with doing a bad positioning job to some extent!

Rgds,

Steve

Gem Singer
14-Jan-2009, 22:53
Copal 3???

My Fuji 300C is mounted in a copal 1 shutter.

swmcl
15-Jan-2009, 04:14
OK OK so mine's a big version ...

Copal 1.

Cheers,

Steve