PDA

View Full Version : Is this a Super or series D? Graflex

johnschlicher
13-Jan-2009, 18:22
Hello All,

Got a new toy today, and I think I bought a super D 4 x 5 graflex, but on the camera it said's series D. It has built in flash sync that works. I took some pictures for you experts out there.

Then if anyone knows how I could put a grafloc back on with out breaking the revolving back, or if I should have it professionally done.

Thanks John

Don Dudenbostel
13-Jan-2009, 18:37
look at the lens and see if it has auto aperture and if not is there aperture linkage behind the lens board? The regular D isn't auto aperture and the super is. Its possible to convert to graflok. You might contact Lens & Repro in NY and also google it. Great cameras. I have four 3x4 including a super D and a long bellows version. Lots of fun to shoot these old Graflex.

Don Dudenbostel
13-Jan-2009, 18:43
Just took a look at my Super D and its written on the side plate Super D in script. Most likely you haves standard D. Its the same as the super except for the semi auto aperture.

Bill_1856
13-Jan-2009, 18:45
Series D. The Super D has a limited range of shutter speeds (1/30-1/1000 only), a factory furnished Ektalite gg screen, and a semi-automatic lens aperture.
The problem with adapting a Graflock back is in adjusting the position of the ground glass to match the focing plane of the back. It can be done (mine was done by Lens and Repro before the factory furnished them in the last year of production). My original intention was to use a Polaroid 4x5 back on it, but it turns out that it can only be used in the horizontal orientation. In retrospect I wish that I had the original Graflex back and some Bag-Mags.
Enjoy it -- it's a great camera!

Don Dudenbostel
13-Jan-2009, 19:29
Bagmags are early versions of Grafmstics that hold 12 sheets. There were also Grafmstics made for the Grsflex back and can be found from time to time. Unfortunately the roll backs of that period don't keep the film very flat. Bag mags are relatively inexpensive and can frequently be found on ebay.

jnantz
13-Jan-2009, 20:37
i use black masking tape to attach my graphic 22 and 23 to my series d.
people have long told me that i will have all sorts of problems that i never encountered.
i have also attached a kodak readyload holder, as well as a 545i polaroid back, never
a problem ... you might save yourself a ton of $$ by playing a little bit
before you ship your camera to someone, or try to modify it yourself ...

oh ... i shoot wide open

bbjorkum
14-Jan-2009, 15:58
You said: My original intention was to use a Polaroid 4x5 back on it, but it turns out that it can only be used in the horizontal orientation.

- Why do you think so? I took a vertical polaroid with my super D last week. Worked well for me.

Bill_1856
14-Jan-2009, 16:11
You said: My original intention was to use a Polaroid 4x5 back on it, but it turns out that it can only be used in the horizontal orientation.

- Why do you think so? I took a vertical polaroid with my super D last week. Worked well for me.

How is the world did you manage it? My 454 used vertically either won't seat at the top because of inteference with the rollers cover, or if turned upside down the tripod head is in the way of pulling the paper envelope out to uncover the negative/print.

bbjorkum
14-Jan-2009, 16:21
S.K.Grimes charges between $200 and $300 for a grafloc conversion. The grafloc back is additional. I think that's a really fair price.

bbjorkum
14-Jan-2009, 16:29
I took the photo hand held, pulling the paper downwards. You could probably find a tripod that doesn't get in the way for the paper. I use a manfrotto ball head.