PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice on Ground Glass Hoods and Cloths

Murtasma
12-Jan-2009, 09:51
I just purchased a 50+ year old Busch Pressman Model 'D' 4x5 as my first venture into the art of Large Format Photography.

The Shade that goes over the glass on the camera is damage. Since the age of this camera is so old it's understandable that the original cloth has become very fragile and it's basically in shreds. I used my hands to place the shade so it would cover the glass but even then this is just not good enough to use out in the field if I got a replacement one.

My question is what would be an idle setup? Should I just remove the fabric from the hood and purchase a cloth to go over the camera. then just use the hood to protect the glass when not in use? Or should I buy a replacement hood and a cloth to go along with this?

I'm having the hardest time finding a hood for this camera. Does anyone know where I can find one for sale?

Also what would your recommendation be on a good quality cloth that won't cost an arm and a leg. I would like to keep the cloth somewhere around 60 dollars.

Walter Calahan
12-Jan-2009, 10:46
Why not buy replacement fabric to attach it to the pop-up hood that found down over the ground glass? And good fabric store can sell you black cloth for a few bucks.

You should get a dark cloth as well. http://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=674

Murtasma
12-Jan-2009, 10:52
I think I can glue the fabric back on the hood however even with the fabric attached to the hood there is to much surrounding light that I find distracting from the ground glass. Would some moderately heavy felt fabric from a store do the trick if I got the cloth attached back to the hood? I see some Toyo hoods on B&H but they are really expensive. Over 100 bucks for something that I could probably make myself.

Dave Hally
12-Jan-2009, 13:38
I use a Toyo 45A in the field. The "stock" pop out hood does not work well for me, it's mostly a ground glass protector.
Currently I use a BTZS hood, but its a pain in a windy situation as I need to be closer to the ground glass and the sides tend to blow into the way. If you can compose and focus from further back and keep the BTZS hood somewhat taut then it could work for you.
Focusing cloths have the same problem for me. I would like to try one of the rubber magnifing hoods, but there may be a problem there, as a lot of my shots are at awkward angles on rough terrain and I can't always get a straight shot at the ground glass.
Hmmm, I do have an old bellows that I could modify and use, and I do have a reflex binocular hood that I could borrow the lens and hood from.
I think I'll try that
Dave Hally

JohnGC
12-Jan-2009, 14:23
Are you going to use the camera tripod mounted, or hand held? If you're only planning on using it on a tripod, I would just use anything for a dark cloth. Spend your money on film now, and have fun with the camera, you can add accessories later, if you think you need them. An opaque piece of fabric will work fine for the time being...

Congrats on stepping into LF!