PDA

View Full Version : 4x5 Projector?

Gary Jones
27-Jul-2001, 23:32
I'm curious, was there ever any "semi-modern day" equipment made to project 4x5 transparencies, (i.e. slide projector)?

David R Munson
28-Jul-2001, 00:30
Once upon a time, relatively recently in fact, there was the Noblux 4x5 projector, which was in the range of $3,000 with lens. Whether or not it's still being made, I really coudln't tell you. I'm sure one could relatively easily rig up a projection system with a military surplus projection lens and the proper materials, and for a lot less than three G's.

Alan Agardi
28-Jul-2001, 02:42
Gary -

As an alternative, Gary, you could scan your 4x5 transparencies and show them either on the computer's monitor, or on a television.

Since you wouldn't care too much about printing from the scans, you could scan at 72 ppi, or whatever it takes to fill your monitor or tv screen.

Ciao.

RICHRRD ILOMAKI
28-Jul-2001, 09:25
Gary:

In the "old days" when most prints were contacts, enlargements were made using the taking camera as an enlarger, a different back with a light source behind it and the taking lens as a projector..

A good strong cool fluorescent light behind a cut-out film holder shining thru a blacked-paint tunnel could project the image back through the taking lens. Net cost: likely less than 100 bucks for some lighting sockets & ballasts (There are industrial 400 Watt fluorescent lights that are run cool and are close to daylight in their colour balance) and an old film holder cut out with perhaps a glass plate to keep the film straight. Might even find an old speed graphic with a bellows and mount for $50 somewhere. That's all you need: a light source, a slide holder and a lens at the end of a bellows or cardboard tube.

Or,... you could get a regular projector and shine it thru the 4x5 chrome and another lens. That would give you a standard light source of the right colour that is already collimated. Cheers

james mickelson
29-Jul-2001, 12:54
Using cameras as projectors doesn't work very well. That's why 4x5 projectors cost so much. It's the lens that costs the most. Even enlarging lenses don't work efficiently. The lenses needs to be able to throw a beam of light a long ways and still keep it focussed. Finding an old projection lens for this format shouldn't be hard though with the current fad of scanning chromes into a computer. Graphics houses probably are selling them. Look on ebay or some place like Goodwins Cameras in San Diego.