PDA

View Full Version : Off to Brazil - see y'all later!

Ash
9-Jan-2009, 10:53
Got a Brazilian friend, and she's invited me to stay with her, so I took the opportunity and booked a flight. I'll be off for two weeks. My itinerary isn't in my hands - I have very little idea what to expect!

I'm heading up to the airport tonight, flying out first thing in the morning. Connection flight via Amsterdam.

I'll spend a few days in Sao Paulo at friends of hers, then I'm heading to the coast then back toward Londrina then to a small town just outside where she lives proper. Mostly it's played by ear so no further details I'm afraid.

As for cameras I can't quite carry large format on a trip that I did so little to plan! I'll be taking the Calypso (nikonos) as there may be seaside/swimming opportunities... and I'm currently thinking of taking the Bronica RF645. The plan was to take the Hasselblad SWC but something tells me I shouldn't.

Fuji Pro 160s in 220, and Fuji 160N or something in 35mm. :D

Alan Rabe
9-Jan-2009, 11:33
What, no razzle? Seems like the best oppurtunity.

Ash
9-Jan-2009, 11:48
I can't carry that in my hand luggage! I also can't afford enough 5x4 sheet film for two weeks ;)

Maybe next time!

Blueberrydesk
9-Jan-2009, 12:02
Have a great trip, Ash! I have a good friend (an old roomate) in Londrina, and I went to visit him a few years ago. Brasil is a beautiful country. Wherever you go you will enjoy it. Definitely have some steak while you're down there.

Hopefully you'll get to see Iguazu falls and the pantanal. Beautiful scenery.

Frank Petronio
9-Jan-2009, 12:07
Forget the freaking cameras, just bring Penicillin, Trojans, and Sunscreen!

Paul Bujak
9-Jan-2009, 12:09
Remember one caipirinha is not enough and two... too many! :)

jb7
9-Jan-2009, 12:52
And then remember to come back...

jealous now-

Carioca
9-Jan-2009, 14:09
Forget the Nikonos, but do take the RF645.
I lived in Brasil for 3 years.
Have fun!

BrianShaw
9-Jan-2009, 14:12
Vaya con Dios... or however that is said in Portugese.

Ash
9-Jan-2009, 14:36
Rain is forecast - I better take the calypso/nikonos in case ;)

RJC
9-Jan-2009, 14:52
I can't carry that in my hand luggage! I also can't afford enough 5x4 sheet film for two weeks ;)

Maybe next time!

If you wanted to take some Velvia have you seen the offers for out of date and short-dated film on http://www.fujilab.co.uk/catalog/ - I just bought a batch at £5 per box. :)

SamReeves
9-Jan-2009, 16:23
Forget the freaking cameras, just bring Penicillin, Trojans, and Sunscreen!

LMFAO! :D

Yes, I expect to see large format thongs! Carnaval is just around the corner. :p

z_photo
10-Jan-2009, 08:40
LMFAO! :D

Yes, I expect to see large format thongs! Carnaval is just around the corner. :p

i should think smaller format thongs

Andrew O'Neill
10-Jan-2009, 12:31
I HATE you...;) I wish I could go.

One of these days I'll drive all the way from Vancouver to Bolivia...and back, with a trunk full of 8x10 film and John Fee the navigator riding shotgun. Hey John, your navigation system works down there too, right? :D

Good luck on your trip and be sure to share you photos with us, eh!

Gordon Moat
10-Jan-2009, 14:35
Definitely wish I was going, since it is summer there. I'm curious on your RF645, since I have lately considered getting one. Do you feel it is a good choice for people/lifestyle images with just the 65mm on it? Thanks!

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography (http://www.gordonmoat.com)

Ash
13-Jan-2009, 10:19
Ooooooh man I love it here. Sao Paulo was crazy, only one incident where some kid wanted to steal my camera.

Being a gringo means I'm staying right beside the wonderful friend of mine, as she speaks fluent portuguese (as you'd expect from a native). She'd never been to Sao Paulo before either so we had the assistance of friends of hers.

Currently just outside of Londrina in a small town. 3pm and the heat is still enough to make me sweat - English boy in Brazil, what can you expect? 1/125 f/8 at 100iso - in the uk in summer we're lucky to get that at midday!

The RF645 is a perfect carry around camera - as big as a DSLR, and with full manual and full automatic, can't beat it in my opinion. Although the lens is wide for some shooting, portraits at 1 meter (closest focus) are nice head and shoulders. I'll share photos once all the 220 fuji I'm shooting has been developed in the UK.

I've got the Calypso but forgot the damned underwater meter!!! I'll probably seal my sekonic flash meter in a food bag and submerge it momentarily! We're heading to the beach in a couple days for a fair while. Either a cheap hotel or camping. Then it's back to Sao Paulo (so we'll have moved in a triangle shape across the south east).

The country as I see it has rustic beauty - graffiti everywhere, bright colours and guys sleeping on the street.

If only I spoke portuguese.

Frank Petronio
13-Jan-2009, 10:31
I bet somebody with some experience could tell you how many stops to compensate. Just open up 8-9 stops over typical British water.

Ash
13-Jan-2009, 10:38
inverse square, one stop per 3 feet according to someone on another forum I was chatting to :)

sorry frank - on facebook i got the time wrong because this is an english pc transported from the uk, so the time is stil GMT, it's 3:40pm now, not 5:40pm

Ash
15-Jan-2009, 05:44
A friend over here has introduced me to cerveja na bundinha...tasteless name ;)

colker
15-Jan-2009, 09:01
it's crazy down here. hot as hell... but sweet.:)
new year's eve made for the best parties in the planet.

Ash
20-Jan-2009, 13:05
currently on ilha do mel...blistering sun, tropical storms, the lot ;)

Cesar Barreto
20-Jan-2009, 15:09
Ash, if you have some time left, come to Rio or, even better, to Ilha Grande, Paraty, Angra dos Reis, Bahia, Ceará and so on. It's not the best time of the year, since it's too hot and rainy, as you may have noticed already, and there's also too many turists everywhere.
But being only to São Paulo and south states won't give you a fair idea of what really means to be in Brazil.
Anyway, have a nice trip and I hope the weather will be gentle with you.

Cesar B

Ash
21-Jan-2009, 15:11
Cesar, I plan on returning for maybe a month or more next year. this is only a short -taster- trip ;)

mikeyT
26-Jan-2009, 20:37
Just wondering if there´s any supplies in Rio for 4x5, just arrived and left my film holders in germany.

Cheer Mike

Ash
27-Jan-2009, 11:01
No way Mike that sucks! I didn't make it to Rio so I can't help.

I'm home by the by. Got all my 220 film developed, will have a series compiled and uploaded somewhere soonish.

Carioca
27-Jan-2009, 11:43
Just wondering if there´s any supplies in Rio for 4x5, just arrived and left my film holders in germany.

Cheer Mike

What would you need, film or holders?
Film will probably more a problem, than holders...
But I doubt you'd find holders in any store these days.

If you're looking for holders, I might have a contact for you, PM me if interest.

Sidney

eddie
27-Jan-2009, 16:28

Cheer Mike

if you need holders shipped check with your friends at home. i have some if you need.....but they need to ship from NY....will they make it in time using the PO?

send me a pm

good luck

eddie