PDA

View Full Version : What's Your Next Photo-Project Going to Be?

dperez
8-Jan-2009, 23:52
Thought I would start a new thread about new or current photo projects that we're undertaking or planning on starting. Here's mine:

Being that I'm a graduate student at California State Polytechnic University, Pomona (Cal Poly Pomona) and that I spend quite a bit of my time here at the university, I figured I would document university students for the better part of two years (at minimum).

I first had the idea to do a large format photo-documentary of county workers since I work for the County of Orange, but I realized that with the situation the way it is (layoffs, etc) that it might not be the best thing to start a project like that right now (although, for some it may seem like precisely the time to start). Maybe in a few years I can look at it again and pursue it, I don't want to get really invested in a project like that, then get laid off and there goes my insider status... I think I'm better off doing something where I can rest assured that I will have the time I need to devote to the project as it dictates. So for now the county project will sit on the shelf.

I'm really anxious to start a project and I think that doing something like documenting students in their various stages might prove intriguing and who knows where it will lead me.

I was an undergrad student here too, so I know what the student life is like here. I'd like to document the diversity of students and student mentalities; from commuter students to frat members living in dorms; professors and laborers, etc. I guess I want to capture the personality of the campus if that makes sense.

I'm interested to read about other LF projects that you guys might be starting, and if you haven't given much thought to starting a project maybe a discussion like this could serve as an impetus for you to carry one out.

-Daniel

mrladewig
9-Jan-2009, 04:40
I'm continuing a project in a nearby but somewhat less visited wilderness area. I enjoyed the solitude of my trips last summer and I think I'll stick with it this summer.

jnantz
9-Jan-2009, 06:37
i've been thinking for a while of making portraits of "people of the cloth"
- dry cleaners, tailors/seamstresses, clothing designers, priests, ministers, and other religious leaders
... using 8x10 paper negs, or handcoated paper and plates.

THAT and continuing long term projects - portraits of strangers, family members and where i live ...

bgh
9-Jan-2009, 06:53
My latest volunteer project is to document a candle factory that has been in business in Syracuse since 1855, and in its present factory since 1912; alas, they are relocating to Tennessee this coming spring. I've already done photographs of the exterior of the complex and have begun the interiors with the extruder room. Since the factory is quite close to where I work, I can take a long-ish lunch break and get some shots.

Alas, no paying projects are on the horizon just now, but hope does spring eternal!

aduncanson
9-Jan-2009, 07:53
A religious institution with which I am affiliated made a decision last year to do an extensive remodeling. The congregation seemed to choose this approach over moving to more convenient suburban location principally because they felt a tie to the location that they had occupied for more than 50 years.

For complicated personal reasons, I am reluctant to fall into photographing houses of worship, but I am considering doing a thorough portrait of this building because it has such meaning for many of my friends.

Charles Carstensen
9-Jan-2009, 08:43
Although my project is not entirely large format it is going to be a two year journey. The Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park is pretty much my back yard. I plan to photograph every view point as documentary using digital, medium format (Hasselblad film) and Large format 4x5 BW and color. This will also include Curecanti National Recreation Area and Gunnison Gorge National Conservation Area. Just revamped my web site which is still being tested.
http://www.charlescarstensen.com

darr
9-Jan-2009, 09:05
I have a box of interesting antique objects that I am thinking of bringing back to life through still life. Also wanting to explore more of a small shrimping village/town about an hour and half from my home. I went through there over the weekend and saw many pictures where the small shrimping boats were anchored.

aphexafx
9-Jan-2009, 17:43
^^^ Cool!

I am planning a series of abstracts, shot through window glass in different environments. Like a window "study" I suppose. I want to focus on the glass surfaces and let the scenes beyond just blur out into color or at least very little shape. Frost, condensation, grime: all welcome!

I will probably be limited to 6cm x 7cm unless I can find an affordable rail extension and longer bellows for my 4x5. (I have extension tubes for my Mamiya.)

I am infinitely more interested in what people are shooting than I am interested in what they are shooting with (well, that's a bit of a lie, heh); I think this is a great thread.

Leonard Metcalf
10-Jan-2009, 02:16
I just started working more solidly on a project about my home town. I also have a number of projects that I am currently working on... One commitment involves learning polymer photogravure, and having my next exhibition as intaglio prints.

I think it is a great idea to have a project... document it clearly as a clear goal, or possibly even an artists statement.
Many use SMART goals, which are:
Specific
Measurable
Achievable
Realistic
Time framed

Len

pragelato
10-Jan-2009, 02:32
Lighthouses

sultanofcognac
10-Jan-2009, 03:28
Two projects. . .

The first: after publishing my dual-language book on pineau des charentes in July 2008 http://www.sultanofcognac.com I have been inundated by information on some, almost ancient, private (cognac) distilleries, so I will begin an exposé on the small distiller and some of the old methods and tools that are still in use today.

The second: I found a digital photographer who has a wonderful eye for landscapes, therefore I am proposing producing a book illustrating the contrast between his 'digital' eye and my LF argentique (film) eye. Shots from the same viewpoint at varying times of the day, but we each select our own lenses, exposures, etc, and will create a vision of our 'visions'. This will also be a dual-language book (with the above will be the sixth for our small publishing company).

al olson
10-Jan-2009, 14:39
Interesting thoughts. I intend to concentrate on old ruins in the mountains of the Four Corners region.

I have been migrating to an emphasis on b&w, especially with the infrared or near infrared films. These films provide nice drama when used on old wood and stone ruins.

Some of the best opportunities lie in the high mountains that won't be accessible until May or June. I will be up there with the 4-wheel drive, using my Linhof loaded with Efke 820.

http://www.photo-artiste.com/images/infrared/bnw/minniegulch2008big.jpg

Also some great opportunities at the lower elevations later this winter (with my Super Graphic and again Efke).

http://www.photo-artiste.com/images/infrared/bnw/hollytower2008big.jpg

I intend to make greater use of models as well. This is with a Bronica 6x6 (sorry) and SFX which is about 4 times faster than the Efke.

http://www.photo-artiste.com/images/figure/michele7x5x2008big.jpg

There are plenty of old mining ghost towns, abandoned in the 1890s, and Anasazi ruins, abandoned in the 1200s, within a day's drive to keep me busy for a few years. I hope to make it a busy 2009!

h2oman
10-Jan-2009, 21:07
I don't think this is exactly what you mean, but I hope to learn to develop my own B&W film, and print it somehow. (Don't know yet whether I'll be scanning/photoshpping or wet darkrooming - maybe both!) If I can figure that out soon I want to do some B&W work of ice on the large lake, Klamath Lake, where I live, and of the lake itself as the ice starts breaking up.

John Kasaian
11-Jan-2009, 00:01
I've got too many unfinished projects from '08! There are at least three projects I'd like to finish, plus a lot of printing to do before adding anything new.

aphexafx
11-Jan-2009, 00:17
al olson, very cool - I look forward to seeing your imagery from this year!

Richard M. Coda
11-Jan-2009, 12:23
As John K. said, there are many projects on the burner... but I think I am being drawn to older barber shops with the 8x10 this year. Took one that was very well received last year, and just made another this morning.

nanuq
12-Jan-2009, 07:55
I want to document my frustration at being in a country without any mountains by showing parts of my climbing gear in completely useless urban settings. I'll see where that leads me.

alec4444
12-Jan-2009, 20:17
I'm gearing up (in the literal sense, unfortunately) to work on portraiture; my least comfortable subject matter with my 11x14. Just need to find someone to sit in front of it....Lacking that, I may be forced to hire a model. I bet that'll change my wife's mind quickly!!! :)

--A

...oh, and that's if I can pull myself away from architecture, which has been hard to do in the past!

Michael Wynd
13-Jan-2009, 22:11
I've got two projects on the go at the moment. One is to document all of the 1800's buildings in Geelong and give the owners and the local historical society a copy, and the other is to do a series of portraits of the oldere members of staff at the teaching institution where I work. All in 8x10. And then there's the normal landscape stuff.
Mike

ConnorR
18-Jan-2009, 21:10
Currently working on a portrait project that's all about people in places that don't make any sense. It's hard to explain but I'll post it once it's done.

PaulRicciardi
19-Jan-2009, 21:59
8x10 street photography?
It's certainly been kicking around the ole noggin

bspeed
19-Jan-2009, 22:08
I have been thinking of a fairly easy still life triptyche, "What Men Like" it will involve food, beer, and my Belly.

dperez
19-Jan-2009, 23:48
I have been thinking of a fairly easy still life triptyche, "What Men Like" it will involve food, beer, and my Belly.

Awesome... man some people have all the creative ideas, damn!

-DP

dsphotog
20-Jan-2009, 00:55
When I was a kid my parents took me to all the California Missions.
I'd like to revisit them, with the LF & pano cameras.
David Silva
Modesto,Ca

bspeed
20-Jan-2009, 07:24
Awesome... man some people have all the creative ideas, damn!

-DP

Yea, right. lol. not me, not really. but what I have in mind will be good for working with some lighting, light "wrap" and shadows

Donald Miller
20-Jan-2009, 13:21
I am currently in Milano, Italy and working on an self funded and produced independent film production. This is a production based upon a screen play that I wrote and is a work of fact based fiction.This film which will be titled "The Architect" is loosely based on the life of a fictional associate of the late architect Carlo Maciachini (designer of Il Monumentale) and is set in Milano, Italy. The media will be digital HD video and digital still images composited in AE. My LF gear has been put on the shelf until I get this done.