PDA

View Full Version : R Ritter ULF camera info please

Andrew M
7-Jan-2009, 20:31
i have been looking at these what appear to be fine and versitile cameras. i particularly like how they can be changed to vertical format which i would make use of. but i am afraid i am getting a little confused after reading a number of posts (some date back years) as to just what backs can be interchanged for other formats and what sizes are actualy available.

i read a few posts where some folk were disappointed with communication with RR so i thought if i could get some assistance from folk here that know about these cameras then i wont be bothering RR whom is likely a busy man (as we all are) with some basic questions to begin with,

on his site i am somewhat confused as well, as in some sections it seems to say sizes 7x17, 8x20 and 12x20 are available, and at a later dates some other sizes will be available up to 16x20...yet in other sections it has sizes up to 20x24.

also waiting periods for delivery; in one place it says a waiting list for a year (how depressing is that lol) and then you are contacted for a deposit...yet in another place it says 8-12 weeks for delivery.

some posts i have read say that one camera is all that is required. A 7x17, and that can be changed to any format up to 20x24 by purchasing the seperate backs (and bellows i would assume obviously though people seem to omit this piece of info). is this correct? it just doesnt seem quite possible to me that the rails would work (be long enough) from a 7x17 to be used on 20x24? perhaps this is possible on a 12x20?
not sure if he does 16x20?

what is the cost (even approximate would be a start) for the different backs and or bellows?

oh , just out of curiosity, what is that tripod he is using in the little pic of him near the lake 'loading film holder' . would a ries j100-2 work for these larger formats? the cameras seem to fall within the wieght specs for the tripod but i wonder is all?

eddie
7-Jan-2009, 21:13
you are correct. you need to get a different back and bellows for each format. they all sit on the same basic frame.

not sure if you have been here (http://www.lg4mat.net/ulf.html), or here (http://www.lg4mat.net/order.html). you can get your pricing info there.

good luck.

eddie

RichardRitter
8-Jan-2009, 07:43
The current wait is about 3 to 6 months the bellows maker is moving and not taking orders at this time and does not know when.

I do have a 8 x 20 camera and a 11 x 14 and a demo 7 x 17 camera, and bellows for 8 x 10s. When the bellows maker is up and running the wait time is 4 to 20 weeks from time of deposit, this depends on the format size ordered. Odd custom sizes may take longer.

From 7 x 17 to 20 x 24 all sit on the same style of rail. The rail can be custom made in different lengths. If you own a 7 x 17 and want to work in 11 x 14 you would order just the back and bellows and switch the backs using the same rail and front standard.

The camera will sit on the J 100 tripod that is what I an using. A 20 x 24 I would put it on a bigger tripod.

Best way to get an idea of the camera and all the feature is to get the owner manual from http://www.circleofthesunproductions.com/

HBDesert
8-Jan-2009, 08:52
I can tell you I'm more impressed with the camera every time I use it. I bought the 12x20 last year. I was new to ULF cameras so I didn't really know all that I was in for. I can tell you that although ULF formats bring their own logistical challenges. I found the Ritter camera to be a joy to set up and use. Everything is very well thought out from the bail back to the dozens of adjustment points. A beautiful camera.

Richard is a one man shop so if you can't get in touch with him right away, don't worry, he will respond (as you saw in the above posting).

Either buy a camera that Richard already has on hand or just keep the cash on hand to buy one when he can get the bellows.

Take Care,

-Doug

Bruce Barlow
8-Jan-2009, 09:39
It's best to try to get Richard on the phone, rather than rely on email. He's personable, and can answer the inevitable follow-on questions that you'll have.

The DVD owner's manual is $15 including postage. I just made a bunch more. If you're thinking about a Richard 8X10 it's also a good introduction. We'd make an addendum for the 8x10 if we had time, which we don't at the moment.

venchka
8-Jan-2009, 10:01
Andrew M,

I hope you took note of the quick response from Mr. Ritter. That should lay to rest any myths about communications with him. I agree with Bruce that direct telephone contact is the best for anyone. The old ways do work.

Last October I had the pleasure of seeing first hand Richard's new 8x10 camera. Looking at the camera was most impressive. Picking up the folded camera was mind boggling. Light as a feather comes to mind. Easily lighter than my 4x5 Zone VI camera which Richard also had a hand in producing. The camera belongs to Mike Castles. Mike recently added his impressions of using the camera in the Richard Ritter 8x10 Camera thread at this forum. Mike also uses a 7x11 back on the same body.

Good luck!

Fred L
8-Jan-2009, 10:18
I've had good luck reaching Richard by phone and email although I found calling him was easiest, it was great he took the time to chat a bit as well. We probably both complained about the snow ;)

Mike Castles
8-Jan-2009, 10:55
Hi Andrew, as Wayne mentioned I have photos from when the 8x10/7x11 arrived and then another recent post on my Rambles (http://mikecastles.wordpress.com/) (most folks call it a blog).

Working with Richard is not an issue in my mind (and he is the guy I would trust with any other camera). When I was first looking for someone to build a 7x11/8x10 there were only 2 that I considered (Keith Canham was the other). But, after I ordered the DVD Owner's Manual from Bruce I was sold. I can't recommend enough having the DVD, it made working with the camera much easier.

To answer some of the questions...I would say you would always want to consider the options - a different back (which include bellows) vs a reducing/different format back. My 7x11 also has a 8x10 back, where if I had say a 7x17, and wanted a 11x14 then it would be a new back and bellows (this is no different than Keith Canham has for his ULF cameras).

In my mind, one of Richard's 11x14's, with say 7x11 and 8x10 reducing backs would be a great system (if you had some 8x12 or 8x14 holders would consdier them). The other thing I found really nice are the lens board Richard sells that go with the camera - worth every penny in my mind (and they just look darn nice).

If you have any other questions, feel free to send me a PM. If this sounds like an ad for Richard and his camera, sorry don't mean it to be, but for the money spent I have very happy and feel like I did the right thing when I decided to ask Richard to build a camera for me - just could not be happier.

Andrew M
13-Jan-2009, 06:15
thanks Richard, Mike and everyone for your excellent and prompt replies...it has been a day or two and i have been pondering all this while caught up with work...so much so that i am writing this while i should be sleeping haha

the dvd sounds like good advice. one thing that does keep re-ocurring whenever i am meant to be thinking of work but instead am thinking of this camera!...is from a price point, what are the seperate backs and bellows worth/cost (more or less), i havnt managed to find that info and obviously this feature is a strong point of the system (was going to write camera but system seems more appropriate), more so if it saves reasonable money on buying seperate cameras for multi formats.

i really have to narrow down my 'wish list' so to speak on what formats i can really accomodate in the future. no doubt the rail length is a significant thing/consideration-meaning one rail may not be suitable for all formats unless the longest rail was purchased to begin with...however obviously the longer rails are not so suitable if i find i am shooting the smaller formats more often than the larger...

appreciate your replies guys, many thanks

John Bowen
13-Jan-2009, 09:56
thanks Richard, Mike and everyone for your excellent and prompt replies...it has been a day or two and i have been pondering all this while caught up with work...so much so that i am writing this while i should be sleeping haha

the dvd sounds like good advice. one thing that does keep re-ocurring whenever i am meant to be thinking of work but instead am thinking of this camera!...is from a price point, what are the seperate backs and bellows worth/cost (more or less), i havnt managed to find that info and obviously this feature is a strong point of the system (was going to write camera but system seems more appropriate), more so if it saves reasonable money on buying seperate cameras for multi formats.

i really have to narrow down my 'wish list' so to speak on what formats i can really accomodate in the future. no doubt the rail length is a significant thing/consideration-meaning one rail may not be suitable for all formats unless the longest rail was purchased to begin with...however obviously the longer rails are not so suitable if i find i am shooting the smaller formats more often than the larger...

appreciate your replies guys, many thanks

The ONLY person who can answer your inquiry is Richard.

Give some thought to what you may need in the future, then CALL Richard. You will find he is most helpful in this regard. He will tell you whether you will need multiple bellows, or whether starting with the largest format then using reducing backs makes more $en$e.

For instance, when I mentioned to Richard that I MIGHT someday want to try 8x20 (I currently shoot 7x17) he suggested I consider purchasing a 8x20 bellows then use a 7x17 reducing back. This would be less expensive then purchasing an 8x20 back and bellows along with a 7x17 back and bellows.

One thing for sure, purchasing an additonal back and bellows will be MUCH LESS EXPENSIVE the purchasing a second camera :eek:

Best,

Michael Carter
3-Feb-2009, 07:46
The DVD helped me to understand a lot about these cameras. It was really well done.

Michael Carter