PDA

View Full Version : Need More Memory Scanning V750,HELP!!!

Don Diego
7-Jan-2009, 11:51
Howdy:
I was scanning 2-1/4" X 2-1/4" B&W negatives last night for the first time on my V750and saving the images on an external HD. after scanning about 14 negs. I got the following message:

"Scanner could not allocate required memory. Quit other applications and try again."

The only application I had going was CS3 and the Epson V750. The scans were about 2 GB ea. more or less after retouching and dust cleaning on CS3. My Vista PC have 4RAM/1TB HD and I’m saving the files on a 500GB external HD.

I was scanning using 48 bit or should I scan using grayscale16 bits? Which one please?

My HD's are:
a- OS (C:) 1 TB practically empty
b- Recovery (D:) 4.69 GB Free of 14.9GB
c- And 3 ext HD's G,H and J.

How do I resolve this problem?
What the "D" drive do?

I'll thank you in advance for you help on this, BTW I'am no computer gig so please explain step by step.

Don

Eric Brody
7-Jan-2009, 12:53
At what resolution were you scanning? To get a 2G file from a 6x6 negative you must be at an unrealistically high resolution for the V750. If it is like other Epsons, it probably has a real hardware resolution in the 2000+ range, which even scanning in RGB would produce a far smaller file. You might want to try scanning in grayscale and see if you can tell the difference in a print between a grayscale scan and an RGB one.

I know it is all in what you can see (or think you can see) but if you do the experiments, and ask a friend to shuffle the prints so you really do not kn ow which is which, you might be surprised that some of the "experts" who insist there are differences are not necessarily wrong, just different than you.

Good luck,

Eric

Don Diego
7-Jan-2009, 13:14
Hi Eric:
I was scanning at 48bits color at 2400dpi, at one point got a message telling me the file was 2GB but the actual pixel count were around 3960. I will try scanning greyscale at 16 and do as you stated.

Thanks for your reply,
Don

Bill L.
7-Jan-2009, 18:09
Hmm. . . Might want to check your settings. I was recently scanning 4x5s at 2400 dpi, 48 bit color using a v750 and Silverfast AI, and the file size of each TIFF was about 650MB.

The error sounds more like one of a RAM conflict perhaps? Have you tried something simple like rebooting?

Cheers!
Bill

PenGun
7-Jan-2009, 21:44
I'm getting 750M files from 16 bit grayscale 4800 DPI scans with Epson's software. Seems about right, maybe a little overkill for what I'm producing right now ;).

Print very nicely on my 3800.

drew.saunders
7-Jan-2009, 22:33
This might sound silly, but are you selecting just the one negative or the entire flatbed area? I could see how scanning the whole area that the 750 could scan would result in a huge file.

Mark Stahlke
7-Jan-2009, 22:48
Are you using the TWAIN driver? That is, are you scanning from within Photoshop?

I've seen this error with my Epson 4990 when scanning within Photoshop. The solution was to run the scanner software as a stand alone application, save the file, then open it in Photoshop.

Hope that helps.

Don Diego
8-Jan-2009, 05:44
Bill, no but will try next time.

PenGun, thanks.

Drew, you hit it right in the head. I was scanning 2 and 3 negs at the same time.

Mark, yes I was scanning from Photoshop - Import - V750.

Issue resolved, THANK YOU GUYS.

I learned my lesson, from this day foward i will scan from the scanner not from Photoshop and will scan one neg at the time. I will try scanning at 16bits grayscale and compare.

You guys are terrific!!!

Don

Bjorn Nilsson
8-Jan-2009, 10:08
Just to fill in. (I got a V700, but the Epson scanning software is the same.) Do use the "Professional mode" when you scan your negatives, the modes below it takes away all of your control. The default setting for scanning 120 film makes the preview lay out presumed negatives scan areas which are 6x4.5 cm. (Click the "Configuration..." buttom on the bottom of the program panel. On the third tab "Film size" you can choose the actual negative size from a drop down menu, which in your case is 6x6.)
Then there are some other controls, apart from being able to tweak the histogram etc.. "Digital Ice" is nice, but it takes forever to complete, so you might want to take out the dust manually. (I do...) The Unsharp mask is better in Photoshop, so don't check that box either. There is a lot to add, but experiment with the different settings and you will eventually get the hang of it.
It may be that you develop your negatives in e.g. Pyrocat HD, which have a stain of usually brown color, so it makes some sense to select the "best" color channel. That can also be the case if you are scanning negatives developed in ordinary developer. Anyhow, you should get much smaller files than gigabyte size from either mode. If color scanning doesn't reward you with better digital files, go back to "grayscale" as you will gain a lot in scanning speed.
Also, as most everyone else points out, 2400 dpi is probably the most that you can squeeze out of the scanner. There is nothing wrong with that resolution, if you want more you have to pay a lot more too. (Even though I also feel that it's an Epson marketing hype I can live with the performance to price ratio. I'm quite satisfied with the scanner. Last, if you want to improve on the flimsy film holders, check www.betterscanning.com. Those film holders rock!)

//Björn

Diomedea
4-Apr-2009, 05:43
If you close photoshop, and open the Epson software alone, it works.
;))

Keith S. Walklet
4-Apr-2009, 10:30
A bump on Diomedea's response. There is a "memory leak" with Photoshop that has been described in other threads. If you have both progams open for a length of time, sometimes the available memory gets sucked up by Photoshop.