PDA

View Full Version : Epson and clogging... (lack of)

Kuzano
5-Jan-2009, 13:11
I wonder if I am going something wrong. I bought an epson R2200 pigment ink printer used about a year ago. It had been sitting with the ink cartridges in it for four months. One was empty. The PO had switched to a MAC and a new printer and set this one aside. I put in a new cartridge and ran the print nozzle check. It indicated needing cleaning. I ran two cleans and cleared up the problem. About three months ago, I ran out of ink in one cartridge and very low in another. I haven't needed to do any printing, so did not get around to replacing cartridges until today. I ran the print nozzle check. There were two small gaps in the patterns printed. I ran the clean function one time and now all is OK.

I have been very happy with the results from this printer. Particularly since I get excellent prints on aftermarket paper from Projet. I use Epson and Projet papers, both with results that are similar.

I have a friend who has been using an R2400 for about two years or more. He also never gets head clogging. I've discussed this with him and we can't figure out what we are doing wrong. According to all I read, If I (or he) leave the printer sit idle for a month or more, they are supposed to clog up. We are stumped. Can anyone tell me what we need to do to have our printers operate as indicated by others?

Please don't ask me how good it is on Black/White printing. I don't do that. I can tell you that color prints to 13X19 are great. I usually print at 250 dpi, but on very busy compositions, I have been happy down to 175.

I paid $150 for the printer, and when I was walking out the door, the seller remembered he has some paper left, so he gave me about $200 worth of unopened Epson and Projet paper.

Paul Kierstead
5-Jan-2009, 13:32
Can anyone tell me what we need to do to have our printers operate as indicated by others?

You could move to a dryer climate?

What purpose does calling other peoples experiences into question serve? Or scorning them?

venchka
5-Jan-2009, 13:36
I have an Epson 1280 that I will trade for your printer. Then you won't feel left out.

Brian Ellis
5-Jan-2009, 13:53
I've owned four Epson printers, an 1160, 1280, 2200, and now a 3800. I've had very very few clogs with any of them over a period of maybe 10 years and the few I've had were cleared up with a simple head cleaning (the 1280 is still being used by my wife without any clogs or other problems).

I leave mine turned off when it isn't being used but I know others have done the same and still have clogs. I've lived in a very humid climate (Florida) and a very dry climate (Oregon). The climate doesn't seem to matter. I've used the printers a lot at some times and seldom at others. The extent of usage hasn't seemed to matter, I don't get clogs either way. The different experiences with clogs among different Epson users is puzzling, there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.

Juergen Sattler
5-Jan-2009, 14:01
I live in Scotsdale, AZ - very dry climate most of the year. I use an Epson 2400 and I never had issues with clogging either despite the fact that the printer was not used at all last summer for about 3 months. After the head cleaning exercise, everything worked just fine.

aphexafx
10-Jan-2009, 01:28
It is good to hear all of this. I have a R2880 in-house that I use for test prints and for smaller final output, but it is new and I am still wary of clogs. I keep it turned off when not in use so the head parks, and I bring it online once a week and do an Automatic Head Cleaning just so that all of the jets run some ink while printing the check pattern - so far no issues whatsoever! (knock on wood).

I'm in Colorado, it is winter, and it is so dry that my nose is always sore.

seawolf66
10-Jan-2009, 10:26
JUst got a used Epson 2200 And I was told to run a nozzle check one a week, or more if its a long time between use , Thats all I know for Now :