PDA

View Full Version : linhof technika bellows question

adrian tyler
3-Jan-2009, 01:42
sorry to ask such an inane question, is there any consensus as to the best value for money replacement bellows for the master technika? and the best place to get one?

there is no chance of anyone having one here in spain...

thanks

adrian

Peter K
3-Jan-2009, 01:54
Adrian, the Master Technika bellows is very thin so when it will be replaced with a wrong one it can happen the camera can't be closed anymore. So ask your local dealer or service point. Or contact http://www.linhof.de/service_e.html Linhof in München.

Frank Petronio
3-Jan-2009, 01:58
If all you need is 12-inches/30cm then a bellows from a Crown Graphic can be used. It will last forever. That's the cheapest way, I had one set up like that.

Brian Ellis
3-Jan-2009, 07:12
I don't know if it's feasible for you to use a U.S. facility or not but FWIW I had the bellows on my Master Technika replaced by Marflex. I doubt that they're the cheapest but they're the authorized Linhof repair facility in the U.S. and they always did excellent work for me so I was willing to pay a little more to make sure the job was done right.

Bill_1856
3-Jan-2009, 07:30
The bellows is Technika's Achilles heel. Despite very light use, my model IV has been replaced twice in the 30 years I've owned it, (each time at a cost of nearly $400).

The English company which supplies the OEM bellows has just gone out of business, but sometimes Midwest Photo has them in stock for a lot less than the official price.

IMO the one change Linhof should implement to their otherwise superb design is to make the bellows user interchangable, like their view cameras.

Bob Salomon
3-Jan-2009, 08:05
The bellows is Technika's Achilles heel. Despite very light use, my model IV has been replaced twice in the 30 years I've owned it, (each time at a cost of nearly $400).

The English company which supplies the OEM bellows has just gone out of business, but sometimes Midwest Photo has them in stock for a lot less than the official price.

IMO the one change Linhof should implement to their otherwise superb design is to make the bellows user interchangable, like their view cameras.

Bill,

If your bellows has been replaced twice then it does not get light use. As the Linhof distributor for the US since the late 70s and as the Product Manager for Linhof since 1980 I can't remember anyone ever contacting us for multiple bellows replacements over the 28 years I have been involved with Linhof.

Use is one reason why a bellows may need replacement but environment and lack of use is a bigger reason why a bellows will develop pinholes.

Bill_1856
3-Jan-2009, 10:40
Bill,

If your bellows has been replaced twice then it does not get light use.
Use is one reason why a bellows may need replacement but environment and lack of use is a bigger reason why a bellows will develop pinholes.

Bob, the first time it was replaced by Marty Forsher (Professional Camera Repair, NYC), the second by my local repairman with a factory replacement bellows (still intact after 3 years). The first two did not develop pinholes, but disintegrated in patches, like dry-rot. My 1928 Zeiss Maximar has been stored under identical conditions, had about the same light/moderate use, and its original bellows is still perfect.

Bob Salomon
3-Jan-2009, 11:00
Bob, the first time it was replaced by Marty Forsher (Professional Camera Repair, NYC), the second by my local repairman with a factory replacement bellows (still intact after 3 years). The first two did not develop pinholes, but disintegrated in patches, like dry-rot. My 1928 Zeiss Maximar has been stored under identical conditions, had about the same light/moderate use, and its original bellows is still perfect.

That is why you should use the factory authorized service center. They only use new, factory sealed bellows and their service comes with a warranty.

IanG
3-Jan-2009, 11:48
You could go direct to Custom Bellows (http://www.custombellows.co.uk/) in Birmingham, they should be up & running shortly. They are the new company formed by the management of Camera Bellows, closed by their US owners.

It's highly likely they'll sell or rather be making the exact bellows you need. You'll not find any complaints about their bellows they were once the largest manufacturers of bellows in the world and despite a few changes in ownership retain the knowledge, patterns & know how.

Ian