PDA

View Full Version : Colorvision PrintFix

keith english
31-Dec-2008, 12:01
I've been trying to use a Colorvision Print Fix 3 to linearize Quad Tone RIP. When I print out the 21 step file and try to read it, in "Measurement" for density or Lab. I get
wildly different readings from the same patch each time I read it. I may read the same patch 10 times trying to center the spectro and get 10 different reading from maybe
.10 to .6o. That makes the readings useless. Has anyone else had this problem? Maybe the patches are too small, or am I missing something? I hate to believe the Colorvision unit is that inaccurate! My instructor in photo school said the Colorvision stuff is not recommended but I didn't want to believe it.

clay harmon
31-Dec-2008, 12:08
I had the same problem with this tool. I eventually put it away because it was for all intents useless for making repeatable measurements. If you have access to a good old school reflection densitometer, you will have a lot better luck getting your profile linearized using that tool.

It appears to me that anyone who is successfully using the colorimeter approach is using an eye-one from Xrite. These are really pricy, but apparently you get what you pay for.

Tyler Boley
31-Dec-2008, 13:42
I highly recommend you contact the folks there, I've known both C.D.Tobie and David Miller for years. They would want to know about this, perhaps you have a defective unit, or there are other issues they may help you with. David Tobie in particular wants the tool be be applicable to B&W processes like QTR. Even though it is an economy oriented product, they do have high standards.

Tyler
http://www.custom-digital.com/

B.S.Kumar
1-Jan-2009, 00:14
You could also ask on the ColorVision and QTR groups.

Kumar