PDA

View Full Version : Help removing head off tripod

beemermark
17-Dec-2008, 20:24
I have a Bogen 3033 tripod with a 3047 head. Had it for decades and while it is as strong as ever I ain't. I want to remove the 3047 head to save weight but can't figure how to get if off. There are 3 grub screws on the bottom of the head plate, I thought loosening those would allow me to un-screw the head. Didn't work.

Any suggestions welcomed.

Wayne Crider
17-Dec-2008, 20:52
It's just stuck.

beemermark
17-Dec-2008, 21:56
Stuck good I would say. Do I try a pipe wrench?

dsphotog
17-Dec-2008, 22:13
Remove the 3 setscews, set up the tripod.
Put the longest handle into the pan control on the 3047, screw it in tight to lock the pan.
then use the longest (most leverage) handle to unscrew the head.

beemermark
17-Dec-2008, 23:34
That's exactly what I did. Guess I was looking for confirmation I was doing it right. No matter how tight I make the pan control the head won't unscrew. Before I use brute force (with channel locks pliers) I wanted to make sure I didn't look overlook something.

Remove the 3 setscews, set up the tripod.
Put the longest handle into the pan control on the 3047, screw it in tight to lock the pan.
then use the longest (most leverage) handle to unscrew the head.

dsphotog
17-Dec-2008, 23:58
Yes, you obviously are familiar with the procedure!!!
Sounds like its been on there a while!!
Mine would just spin the center column before the head would break loose.
Leverage & a quick snap should do the trick.
I think I'd try a strap wrench, before the channelocks, or a pipe wrench.
(wrapping it first of course)
Or maybe a little heat???

Jay Wolfe
18-Dec-2008, 02:38
Heat is a good idea, but I would try putting the whole thing in a freezer first (if you have one large enough), and then heat the base of the 3047 gently.

Diane Maher
18-Dec-2008, 06:28
Do you have a vise that you can put the tripod in so you can get better leverage on the head?

Steven Barall
18-Dec-2008, 07:40
Get a bigger hammer.

evan clarke
18-Dec-2008, 07:42
Instead of using brute force, use a rubber mallet or a soft face machinist's mallet and rap the casting sharply. The shock should loosen it..Evan Clarke

dsphotog
18-Dec-2008, 07:52
I've got it!!! Set up the tripod, have someone hold it down, then, slip a length, maybe 3 or 4 (ok 6) feet, of 1 1/2" pvc plastic drain pipe over the handle, that should give you plenty of leverage. without damage. It needs a quick snap to break the head loose.
David Silva
Modesto, Ca

Brian Ellis
18-Dec-2008, 08:26
This is a common problem, at least I've had it every time I've tried to remove a head that's been on a tripod for a few years. I usually end up resorting to a hammer. At least with the 3047 you have something to hammer on (i.e. the grip on one of the handles). I wrap the grip in a couple folds of towel to minimize cosmetic damage. The bigger problem is holding the tripod firm while you hammer on the grip. A vise would be great but I don't have one. I usually end up sitting on the tripod legs.

Jon Shiu
18-Dec-2008, 09:12
Here is how I got it off: remove the three set screws, take the column off the tripod, put in freezer for a few hours. Put a screwdriver to prevent rotation in the holes at the bottom of the column and with the column and screwdriver supported by a bench, use some channel-lock pliers to unscrew the head. Try first without the freezer part.

Jon

beemermark
18-Dec-2008, 15:35
I used a BIG pair of channel locks and a hammer. Still took a lot of force to get it free!!

Thanks for all the replies. My freezer was no where big enough to put it in, but that sounded like the best solution.

seawolf66
19-Dec-2008, 10:10
How about just spray some WD 40 around it and into the screw holes and let it sit for the day and then try it :