PDA

View Full Version : I need help bad with R2400 PLEASE!!!

taschlauch
16-Dec-2008, 22:24
Hello Everyone......

I'm new but I'm having problems with my new refurb epson R2400, I've had it new and sitting just over a year. And just set it up and run a print at 11x8.5 on matt, I noticed 2 things first it had banding with the black ink. I fixed that problem but also when the print was done, I noticed it didn't eject I had to pull it out ever so lightly, but it did come out fairly easy.

The 2nd print same paper and fixed the banding, a 4x6 photo but again the paper didn't eject. I thought it may be the thinner matt paper I was using, so I tried printing a 13x19 on 100% rag using the paper setting for the 13x19 UltraSmooth Fine Art Paper. It printed great but towards the end it kept printing, but the paper stop and did not eject. It printed about the last inch of the print, over it's self and was pretty dark in other words it printed the last inch a few times.

So the paper is not ejecting and it also did not feed it, the last inch of the print. I used CS4 to handle the color management, but set the paper and size for the paper for it. And as I said even the 11x8.5 matt paper, didn't eject after it was done printing so some thing is not right. I had to run about 8 sheets of 11x8.5 to clean the heads, and check them so it did have to to work the feed and everything.

No error lights or anything like that, it just don't eject the smaller matt. And stops a inch short and prints 2x over that part, and doesn't eject the print with the 13x19 rag. I got the R1800 and R2400, tech manual ebook for it but there is so many different parts. That taking it apart would be a major problem, unless I knew what I needed to do to it. I really need some help trouble shooting it, this whole thing is turning into a night mare as I need to make some Xmas prints for gift's.

I printed the 13x19 for my mom and dad, but I would have to cut the last inch that is over lapped off. That is to be her and my dad's Xmas gift, I got the frame and matt but want to get this working right, to make them a right print as I'm 100% sure they will love the print once done. The printer did not look used even at all, new inks and everything did not look used at all.

I have some tech skills but not with printers, built and fixed many computer systems though. I'm hoping it's some thing simple like the CS4 setting, I did have it set to fit to paper or may be some fast adjustment or some thing. I really need some help trouble shooting this, as I'm lost right now seeing all them parts in the tech manual done that I'm sure.

Here is the info CS4 to control the color, and set the right paper and size for it. I also set resize to fit the paper, the colors are pretty good but it stops short of finishing the print by a inch. That last inch was printed over again, and it will not eject any sheets at all that is 11x8.5, and 13x19 sheets feed in the normal paper feeder. I did not use the large sheet clip though, but the 11x8.5 did not eject and don't need it.

Thanks, for any help that you can give me. :confused:

terry_5379
17-Dec-2008, 00:48
I am now bald tore my hair out, I paper feed problem with my 2400, in the end I gave up with the epson, spent a few pounds on a sledge hammer.
Purchased a Canon, so far no problems.
Epson will never have any more of my money.

Donald Miller
17-Dec-2008, 01:11
Try raising the paper outfeed level. I use a CS3 software box on the outfeed tray and it stopped the problem you indicate. On larger paper the weight of the paper and the angle at which it is supported causes the printing problems you mention.

The paper thickness needs to be set properly as well.

taschlauch
17-Dec-2008, 02:52
So I just click the box, for thick sheets ???

taschlauch
17-Dec-2008, 22:15
Ok I need some input on this, I noticed that when I set it to best print. It changed to manual roll setting it may have done that to me before, I'll try to that way to see if it works for me.

But could that have been the problem, and why don't it stay on the normal sheet feeder ???

taschlauch
18-Dec-2008, 01:53
Well I try it on manual roll and loading into that feeder, and the same thing happen the last inch of the photo it stop. And kept printing over the last inch of the print, I held the print up level so it's not that. So far I got lots of ink gone and 2X 13x19 prints that are messed up, on the last inch of the prints, it's like burning money that is for sure.

I'm very happy with the colors of the prints, but I can't be happy they are both messed up on the last inch. I'm starting to see why one poster give up, all that money and work for the stuff and can't get a good print from it. I'm sure it cost to much to send in and pay to get it fixed, may be a computer tech could fix the printer because this is making me sick thinking.

How I did not get any right prints from it from new, every print is burning money. Even if this is refurb they should of went over it good, and fixed the problems it was having it is a shame. I love the way the prints are printed, but what good is it if they are messed up and would have to cut at the last inch of them.

I'll just keep trying to I burn what little ink is left, and keep hoping to get it right. The printer is not ejecting the prints same thing from print one, but the first print was all banded and worthless also. I mean this is really sicken, had a got a few good prints may be I would not feel so bad. But not even one good print, burned most of the high priced inks $140 set up and paper.

Ok I'm done ranting, but this still sickens me.

Colin Graham
18-Dec-2008, 09:56
Maybe for a temp fix tack on an inch wide grey band onto the end of your image in photoshop. That way maybe it'll just print over and ruin the gray band and not the actual image itself.

taschlauch
18-Dec-2008, 11:13
I'll have to try that, if everything else fails.

I took notice that it seems to print over the last inch again, of the image and that the white space at both ends are about the same.

Paul Kierstead
18-Dec-2008, 12:20
As a matter of interest, what matt paper are you using?

Colin Graham
18-Dec-2008, 12:28
Just occurred to me it might not need to be gray- white would of course be no ink at all, but still might trick the printer into ejecting it far enough out of the image area before it get hung up on the last inch.

taschlauch
18-Dec-2008, 19:29
I'm using PremierArt Fine Art Paper 300gsm C2S hot press 13x19 sheets, and their site said to use the epson usmooth profile and it got great colors.

taschlauch
18-Dec-2008, 22:01
Well I added a black frame to cover the last inch of the image, and a little black on top to frame it in back. Hoping it would then just print black over the black, then you could not see it at all.

The top black come out great like it should of, but the last part of the image was printed not all black as it should of been. It print some black a little over the green, and had faded black at the end of it. Yellow ink is warning it's out so there no hope of getting a good print now, all that time and money and could not even get not even one good print from it.

I'll tell you I got the colors spot on first shot, that because I spent so much time working on it and researching it. I Got all kinds of money wrap up into this and the junk printer breaks, before the first print was printed that make me feel sick, and you don't want me to tell you what I think of epson right now.

$140 ink set gone and not one good print, well I tried all I could so it's not my lack of not trying. Oh well I have to let go now,so I'll try seeing if a tech can fix it around here with out it costing more then the printer.

shileshjani
19-Dec-2008, 09:28
Some Epson feed problems can be fixed by re-initializing the printer, by switching it off, pull the power plug. Keep turned off for a minute. If you have not done so, try it. Good luck.

Shilesh

taschlauch
21-Dec-2008, 15:56
I framed it into a black 16x20 frame and cut the matt for it, 2 inches on the sides that covers the last inch of the image. And left 1 and 1/2 inches on the top and bottom, that looks great as long as they leave it matted that way no problem.

I'll signed it and mark it as a proof, that should make it fine for anyone looking at it ever. Will over looks the bad last inch of the fine art print, the print has lots of details and great colors.

JinglyJangly
5-Jan-2009, 15:17
Just a quick note to say that having owned epson r2400 for three years
I have sympathy for you. I have had nothing but issues with paper handling
it was mostly with roll paper not feeding properly and it took ages to get it to
accept, finally the printer decided enough was enough and wanted a service
I got a one on ebay suposedly unused it printed a couple of prints and now
wont accept any paper at all thru the feed, have not tried the roll, it looked like
a new printer, this is definately the last time epson is getting any of my money
albeit I got the last one on ebya howerver I have spent a heap on them over the years. No more

JinglyJangly
7-Jan-2009, 15:21
update on my previous post regarding r2400 purchased on ebay
I took it to an epson service centre and they took it apart could not find
anything wrong put it back together and it still will not feed paper
I suspect it has to be software related, I updated the driver but that did not
make any difference, anybody out there had similiar problems, nothing is worn
the printer is as new.

PenGun
7-Jan-2009, 21:30
This is OT but hey. I bought the first Stylus Pro they made. It did 13' wide and cost me $2400. Worked quite well. Needed to be fooled with to produce good prints but it would do very nice 720 DPI prints. You had to be half blind to call them photographic but they were good for the time.

My 3800 cost me $1300 and does 17" wide. It is stunning. Has made great prints right from the first one. No fooling around. Tell it the right paper and you are f%$*ing golden. I've fed it cheap thin photo paper, some Japanese watercolour paper and Epson Premium and it handles it all.

I printed 35mm and MF in my own darkroom for years. Did all kinds of colour both trans and neg and a lot of B&W both traditional and C41 (XP1 shot in bars and pussshed) for fun. The digital printers don't really do eye bite quite like Fuji polyester but everything else is right there.

Good luck with the R2400, I know not much about them but I wanted to point out that the later stuff kills.

Donald Miller
8-Jan-2009, 11:13
As I have previously mentioned I have two of the R 2400 printers. When I use the heavier papers there are certain things that help me with paper feed and the repetitive printing that someone else mentioned here.

The first thing is to set the printer software to heavy weight paper. The second is to manually place a slight curl to the paper before I attempt to feed it into the rear feed slot. I have found that I need to help the paper feed into the rear of the printer...not a large problem for me...if the printer does not immediately sense paper moving into the printer it will go to paper fault reading.

The last thing is to support the heavy papers as they exit the printer. I place an old CS 3 software box on the printer out tray...not under the outfeed tray but on top of the tray. If one does not do this you will experience head strikes with striping and or over printing the last portion of the print.

I have been pleased with both of these printers once I discovered how they like to be handled.

darr
8-Jan-2009, 11:57
I mostly use Epson Fine Art 13x19" paper with my R2400. As long as I help guide the paper through the feeder I do not get paper jams. I did receive a lot of paper jam lights on until I figured this out.

Best,
Darr

briancorll
9-Jan-2009, 10:42
Epson and Adobe recently had some meetings to figure out why PS CS4 does not print properly with Epson drivers. Meantime, I use Lightroom usually, or PS CS3.

John Whitley
9-Jan-2009, 11:26
FWIW, I have to second the motion in favor of the Epson 3800's. The ones I've used are in the digital lab at the Photographic Center Northwest, so they see heavy usage. I've never once had a paper feed issue and I have also run a variety of different weights and textures through them, as well as Pictorico OHP film. In fact, I really haven't had any problems that weren't directly attributed to a fault on the near side of the keyboard.

Donald Miller
9-Jan-2009, 14:04
Epson and Adobe recently had some meetings to figure out why PS CS4 does not print properly with Epson drivers. Meantime, I use Lightroom usually, or PS CS3.

I use CS4 on Vista Ultimate (64 bit) with my 2400s and have not had a problem. Although I do use QTR on the printer used for black and white...so this is news to me.

briancorll
9-Jan-2009, 19:07
Donald,
It may be only a 32-bit problem. Anyway, this is what Epson tech support told me a couple of weeks ago. No updates from either Epson or Adobe yet.