PDA

View Full Version : Durst 138s Baseboard Foot Pedal

pablo batt
16-Dec-2008, 17:42
just purchased a 138s durst, and i am in the process of cleaning a few years of dust and grime of of this big beast.

it has the foot pedal to lift the baseboard im guessing via a motor control

once switched on the pedal doesn't do anything

i was hoping that someone might shed light on this problem

it might need a service

im hoping there may be a manual overide..

thanx in advance

Robert A. Zeichner
16-Dec-2008, 17:53
The pedal is actually a release device for the table. When you depress the pedal, you should be able to manually move the table up and down. When you release it, the table should stay in place with the weight of easels and other small objects sitting upon it. This is strictly a mechanical interlock.

John Powers
16-Dec-2008, 17:55
The foot pedal is more like an automobile emergency brake lock. When you step on the pedal the lock releases and you become the motor, lifting or pushing down the table. Enjoy the enlarger. It is a great machine.

John

John

pablo batt
16-Dec-2008, 17:59
ok yes i see this is like a foot pump that connects to the anlarger and the air pressure should release the column

mine doesnt seem to work

im guessing i may have a air leak or something

there is some resistance on the pedal

Bjorn Nilsson
17-Dec-2008, 02:11
The pedal pulls on a wire which unlatches a lock which holds the table to the column. As there is resistance in the pedal, it sounds like it's actually working the way it should.
But there is another lock under the middle of the table where you find two round knobs just underneath the front, a small one inch knob to the left and a larger two inch knob to the right. Use the larger knob to the right, which you have to unlock by opening it a half turn or so. (If you look at that knob, it is a bit "off-center" and is connected with a rod all the way back to the center column.) If the table is locked only by the foot pedal lock it can be a bit wobbly, so use both locks for stability.
If it still doesn't work you may have to adjust the tension of the wire, but I still have not seen any 138 where this was necessary.

If it works correctly, in the pic from the manual the locking knob the knob I'm blurbing about is number 54.

You can find the manual on my web: L138S_Manual.pdf (http://www.binoni.nu/SinarF/L138S_Manual.pdf) (This manual used to be available on the Jensen Optical site, but the link there points at another manual.)
//Björn

pablo batt
17-Dec-2008, 06:46
hi

thanx for the enlarger manual, very useful

the durst is now sparkling like new and i have worked out the basebaord vertical lift, i think it was a little under used and had become quite stiff.
i will clean the column and lubricate where appropriate to loosen the movement.

many thanks for your help

ic-racer
17-Dec-2008, 20:40
Nice to see another Durst fixed up!

pablo batt
18-Dec-2008, 04:33
its a fantastically engineered machine.

i just cant understand why they allways look so unloved when they come up for sale

film rules forever lol

Allen in Montreal
18-Dec-2008, 15:44
'cause they are work horses, not show horses ?? :)

i just cant understand why they allways look so unloved when they come up for sale

John Powers
18-Dec-2008, 18:58
I don't know Allen. (Allen in Montreal) You have been hanging around these 138S threads at least since last summer when I invited you down to Cleveland to have a look. I think it is your turn. Give yourself a big heavy Christmas present. Tell yourself you deserve it. We will all stand behind that one.

Have a good one,
John

Allen in Montreal
19-Dec-2008, 16:05
Yes, that was a bit of a disappointment. Your offer was very kind! It would have great to to see yours and Ic-racer's darkroom.

I had tried to buy a 138s in your area, he sold to someone else, who only took the baseboard, arm and clamp and left the rest behind! I told him i would search for the missing parts, but he sold it off before i could get back to him. I think that unit is now for sale at 700 dollars by Photographic Systems in N.M.

Then, I thought...just go all the way and sought a 1084!! Almost bought one from forum member Dave, discussions with him brought me to realize I have the footprint space but I do not have the height for a 1084 (nor do I have 220 in my darkroom, yet).

The 138 has become a renewed desire until I sort out the correct 8x10 path. I have made too many bad purchases in the past and want to be sure each new purchase is a happy, long term purchase. :)

I don't know Allen. (Allen in Montreal) You have been hanging around these 138S threads at least since last summer when I invited you down to Cleveland to have a look. I think it is your turn. Give yourself a big heavy Christmas present. Tell yourself you deserve it. We will all stand behind that one.

Have a good one,
John

John Powers
20-Dec-2008, 07:14
Yes, that was a bit of a disappointment. Your offer was very kind! It would have great to to see yours and Ic-racer's darkroom.

I had tried to buy a 138s in your area, he sold to someone else, who only took the baseboard, arm and clamp and left the rest behind! I told him i would search for the missing parts, but he sold it off before i could get back to him. I think that unit is now for sale at 700 dollars by Photographic Systems in N.M.

Then, I thought...just go all the way and sought a 1084!! Almost bought one from forum member Dave, discussions with him brought me to realize I have the footprint space but I do not have the height for a 1084 (nor do I have 220 in my darkroom, yet).

The 138 has become a renewed desire until I sort out the correct 8x10 path. I have made too many bad purchases in the past and want to be sure each new purchase is a happy, long term purchase. :)

Allen,

Sorry to read about the misadventure with the pieces-parts 138S in this area. That is sadly ironic because Peter Spangenberg drove from here all the way to VT to get his 138S. There are several threads on these two enlargers over on APUG. I can't remember if you read over there.

Before buying the 138S conversion I considered the L184 which I believe can go up to 9’. Someone correct me if I am wrong, as if I had to ask here. My wife was so accommodating she said we could build a closet in the living room above the enlarger to hold the housing. We even joked about a hassock in the middle of the living room holding the L184 head. In retrospect I think I joked and she gave me “the look”.

On APUG Curt was looking for 138S that had been converted to 8x10. At last reading mine was the only one to show up. The advantage for you of that conversion, which was done by Michael Mutmansky, is that it fits under my 7'2" basement ceiling and runs on 110 volts.

I have only made prints to 20x24" so far using full negative rather than cropping. That was using the standard 300mm 8x10 lens with the head at ceiling level, but the table had more room to go down. I also have a 240mm lens which would allow much larger prints. For me the limits have been sink, tray and print washer size, say nothing of operator capabilities. Pulling 20x24 prints out of trays resting on 2x4s above the sink I almost run into the ceiling. The sink is 8" deep by 30" by 8'. The only way I can use the four large trays I have is to put 2”x4”s above the sink. The fifth tray sits on a cart outside the sink. It can get very messy cleaning up. PM me if you want to visit.

John

ic-racer
20-Dec-2008, 08:57
. (Allen in Montreal) Give yourself a big heavy Christmas present.

Almost a year ago this was my present to myself. This picture is the first one after it was put all back together...to make sure it would really fit. We had to tip it to get under that silver duct in the background, but after that we had 6 inches to spare.

ic-racer
20-Dec-2008, 09:11

Not sure how far you want to drive, here is a 138 listing in Philadelphia:

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/pho/945114017.html

John Powers
20-Dec-2008, 10:41
Not sure how far you want to drive, here is a 138 listing in Philadelphia:

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/pho/945114017.html

Dale,

Don't you just love to spend some one else's money?
Hope it is a good deal. Allen If the seller only has a 35mm negative carrier he may not have all the condensers you need, unless you are adding a cold light instead.
Merry Christmas, Allen.

John

ic-racer
20-Dec-2008, 20:10
Dale,

Its the best way!

ic-racer
20-Dec-2008, 21:25
Dale,

And here is another one. John, don't you need a spare....

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/pho/964623125.html

Allen in Montreal
20-Dec-2008, 23:58
And here is another one. John, don't you need a spare....

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/pho/964623125.html

SSSHHHH!!!!!

I have been in contact with this seller and I think we have agreed on a package.

:--)

John Powers
21-Dec-2008, 19:50
SSSHHHH!!!!!

I have been in contact with this seller and I think we have agreed on a package.

:--)

I haven't been to Williamsburg in 30 years. Sounds like a great trip. I wonder if the 4x5 enlarger could go on a cart to make room for this one? Good luck Allen. Let us know if we can help. Down load the operator's manual if you haven't already. It is very helpful.

John

Bjorn Nilsson
22-Dec-2008, 15:07
A note about the transportation. These machines can be split into the foot-base, the bottom column with the table holder, the table itself, the top column and the head. It is possible that you can go further, but that is good enough for transporting it in the trunk of a small (e.g. a VW Golf/Rabbit) european sedan.
You need a big philips screwdriver for loosening a couple of screws for the head. Apart from that all the joints can be unlocked by hand. Just be careful and see to that the head is in its top position before you loosen it (because of the powerful counterbalance spring inside the top column) and also lock the height adjustment. The same goes for the table, which should be in its top position (no nasty counterbalance spring though).
Some enlargers have not been dismantled for 40 years or more, so the joints might be sticky or even a bit corroded. Have patience and possibly a bit of rust-dissolver and this fine piece of machinery will come apart nicely.

//Björn