PDA

View Full Version : Monitor color correction--Xrite d2

Raymond Bleesz
15-Dec-2008, 14:38
I am about to purchase an Xrite Eye One Display 2 unit. It will work on my regular Dell monitor but what about using on my lap which is a Macbook Pro?

thank you R.

bernal
15-Dec-2008, 15:36
Raymond,

If the Dell monitor is connected to a Windows PC, you will need to install the Windows version of the program on that machine and the Mac version on the MacBook Pro. I may be wrong, but I think you can use the same license on both platforms. Call the company to make sure before you buy.

If the Dell is connected to a Mac, you are all set.

bernal

pherold
15-Dec-2008, 17:22
Yes, it will work on the Macbook Pro. There is a "laptop" workflow option you would choose when going through the software.

The i1 Match software is a free download from Xrite, so there's no problem getting it on both of your operating systems.

neil poulsen
15-Dec-2008, 18:56
I have an older Display 2 colorimeter puck that's 2-3 years old, but I downloaded the most recent software.

I had no problem calibrating my 15" MacBook Pro with a non-gloss screen. Quite the opposite, it's a fairly bright screen, and it's necessary to reduce the brightness to keep it in range. Native color temperature was 6700, which is pretty close to 6500. I was able to achieve a luminance of 104 and a black point of 0.2, so I feel pretty good about the calibration.

I've been using this for color work, and it's worked well. I recently did a print and was pleased with how the two compared. One has to consider that this monitor won't have the saturation of a good, graphics color monitor, and I think it's only a 6-bit screen. I can see that, when I compare the results to my LaCie CRT. But, it works well enough for me to do the bulk of the color work on my MacBook Pro and fine tune images using the LaCie.

I would suggest going to preferences and setting the profile size to large (vs. matrix or small) prior to beginning. That will do a better job of adjusting color to the idiosynchrasies of your particular screen.

Atul Mohidekar
15-Dec-2008, 22:24
There are two types of monitor calibrators/profilers, one for CRTs and one for LCDs. If your Dell PC has a CRT monitor and Macbook has an LCD monitor, you won't be able to use the same monitor calibrator for both.

// Atul

neil poulsen
16-Dec-2008, 01:32
The Display 2 has options for CRT, LCD, and Laptop. So, the same software and colorimeter can be used to calibrate and profile any of the above three.

IanMazursky
16-Dec-2008, 02:39
The i1 Display 2 has special tiny suction cups for LCD/CRT applications.
Although they are not well designed for either situation. In most cases you will have to provide support for the device or it will fall off.
The software is also very good. Its accurate and the ambient light meter is a useful tool. Especially to show clients how to plan a color controlled room.