PDA

View Full Version : hole size for new lens board

Clueless Winddancing
6-Dec-2008, 14:21
0, 00, 1, 2 ??

two lenses have sat for long enough:

90 Schn SA 5.6

210 Voit APO Skopar f/9 (includes waterhouse discs)

I know some of you have great references under your hat or in you CPU. Please help me get off this fulcrum of indecisiveness; order the boards; and have Grimes mount these treasures. TIA Clueless

BrianShaw
6-Dec-2008, 14:47
Hi Clueless, I'm perplexed. :) I'm not quite sure what you question is. Mounting lenses isn't very difficult. The SA came in both #0 and #1 shutters, but I think most were #0. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think all copal 0 shutters have max shutter speed of 1/500 and all copal 1 shutters have max speed of 1/400. Some even say what size they are on the front of the shutter.

Measure the threads at the mounting ring and you'll know how big the hole in the board should be. Same with the Skopar, but I'm not exactly familiar with that particular lens. The concept is the same, though.

Some boards are easier to buy with holes already - the metal ones - since they are more difficult to cut than a wooden board. If ordering a pre-cut board most are cut to the specs on the page cited below. For the Scopar you can probably find a hole that is close enough - often rounding UP to a standard size works quite well. What camera are you mounting to?

http://www.skgrimes.com/products/index.htm

Once you get boards with the correct holes you'll need to remove the rear lens component from the shutter, put the shutter on the board and tighten the ring. Then replace the rear lens component.

Is that what you need to know to get you going?

Clueless Winddancing
7-Dec-2008, 08:19
Thanks for the help Brian. I did not know that the "shutter" played an important part in the hole size per se. As to critical measuring the diameter of a lens's diameter at the point of board entry I not confident enough (Clueless, remember?) to get it right; thus, I ask. Google was tried.

Ralph Barker
7-Dec-2008, 08:43
There's a chart on the LF Home page showing many of the hole sizes for various shutters:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/lensboard_hole_sizes.html

It's fairly easy to drill your own boards if you have the appropriate tools.

Clueless Winddancing
7-Dec-2008, 09:18
Ralph, that is a real help.

Clueless Winddancing
7-Dec-2008, 10:08
Thanks to all your help I've made the choices.