PDA

View Full Version : The River They Saw... OPB special

Kuzano
5-Dec-2008, 18:07
Saw a wonderful show on Oregon Public Broadcasting called "The River They Saw" this week. It was about historical photography on the Columbia River Gorge. Highlighted photographers like Carleton Watkins and his 18" X 22" wet plate photography-referred to in the show as Mammoth Plate photos. Also talked about two Portland Oregon socialites who helped form a camera club in Portland in 1895. One of the ladies had a houseboat that was equipped with a darkroom and running water, and the two of them lived aboard and plied the Columbia creating quite a large body of work in Photography in the early 1900's.
Very interesting show.

Here is a link to some of the history of these photographers and their work. The show was part of OPB's normal fundraising effort and is available for purchase FWIW.

http://www.historycooperative.org/journals/ohq/108.1/glauber.html

Link to the show on OPB

http://www.opb.org/programs/oregonexperience/programs/16-The-River-They-Saw

The profile about Ray Atkesons early access to Kodak color film and his continued access during the film rationing of WWII is quite interesting. He was shooting Kodak Color before most people had access to it.

darr
5-Dec-2008, 19:08
Thanks for sharing. It looks like we may be able to see the film on line!

Best,
Darr

Brian Ellis
6-Dec-2008, 10:57
Great show, I've seen it a couple times. OPB seems to be showing it pretty frequently so it will probably come around again.

Don7x17
7-Dec-2008, 00:26
Go to the OPB website -- they will sell you the video. they usually don't post at the website because they can sell you the DVD, but there are some outtakes

Current exhibit at Portland(OR) Art Museum ...Wild Beauty
portlandartmuseum.org

and book by same name offered on Amazon for about $48.00 (list 75.00)

If you haven't seen some Carleton E Watkins prints in person, and can get to the museum in Portland, consider attending (through December). You won't regret it.

lee nadel
7-Dec-2008, 13:47
hi thanks for the link i enjoyed the snow with mr watkins best lee

Jan Pedersen
7-Dec-2008, 21:09
Not yet seen the show on OPB but finally had a chance to see the Portland Art Museum exhibition yesterday. It is impressive, must bee the largest exhibition i have ever seen covering only one subjet the Columbia River Gorge.
Carleton Watkins Albumen prints are just incredible. Many other photograpers prints are wonderful and compliment Carleton Watkins work very well.
If you have a chance to be in the area before the exhibition ends early January please reserve a couple of hours to visit the Portland Art Museum. It's worth the 10$ fee.

jan

Drew Wiley
9-Dec-2008, 11:19
Damn! Wish I could get up there to see this. My in-laws live near the Gorge and I have
gotten some very nice 8x10 shots there. Although my own style is quite different from the old-timers, I can't help having Watkins' frame of reference in mind whenever I'm
the area. Besides, I'm an albumen print junkie, even though I don't work in that medium
myself. Some of my aunt's work is in that museum too.

Don7x17
11-Dec-2008, 18:25
Terry Toedtemeier, Curator of Photography at Portland Art Museum, Curator of the exhibit "What They Saw" and coauthor of the Exhibition book "Wild Beauty" has passed away after doing a book presentation in Hood River, Oregon.

http://portlandartmuseum.org/about/news/features/Terry-Toedtemeier/

If you haven't seen the exhibit -- and can make it to Portland, Oregon before Jan 11,2009, try to see this exhibit at the museum. Terry had a passion for the historical photography; he is the reason that the exhibit is on at the museum. You won't regret it.